eka42

Distinguished
Apr 9, 2007
The C2d's and the intel CPU lines have dropped in price. Is this the max it is going to drop for the rest of April? what happened to the huge drops coming April 22nd. Are these the April 22nd drops? or are more to come. Thank you(kinda dissapointed if this is it)

ThunderChunky

Distinguished
Mar 27, 2006
So when they say the price for the 6420 will be $183 on April 22nd do they mean per 1000 or is that the MSRP, right now 6420's can be bought for $217.

CaptRobertApril

Distinguished
Dec 5, 2006
Expect the big cuts from Intel on April 22nd.

I think that there is something in the timing here that Mr. Joe Public is not aware of. IMHO, either the Barcy demo on the very next day, Apr. 23, is going to be a total bust with AMD producing another yawner along the lines of the Windsorzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz, or they have something evilly delightful up their battered sleeves. I certainly hope the latter, as a long time AMD fan, it sure is embarassing to watch them shoot themselves in the groin on a daily basis!

1Tanker

Splendid
Apr 28, 2006
Expect the big cuts from Intel on April 22nd.

I think that there is something in the timing here that Mr. Joe Public is not aware of. IMHO, either the Barcy demo on the very next day, Apr. 23, is going to be a total bust with AMD producing another yawner along the lines of the Windsorzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz, or they have something evilly delightful up their battered sleeves. I certainly hope the latter, as a long time AMD fan, it sure is embarassing to watch them shoot themselves in the groin on a daily basis!I would think that if it is indeed great news, they would release it the day before Intel's price-cuts..to make people think twice about going Intel....not the day after. We've known about the Apr.22nd price-cuts for a few months now, i'm pretty sure AMD has known too... they could have rolled the demo back by 2 days. :wink:

CaptRobertApril

Distinguished
Dec 5, 2006
I would think that if it is indeed great news, they would release it the day before Intel's price-cuts..to make people think twice about going Intel....not the day after. We've known about the Apr.22nd price-cuts for a few months now, i'm pretty sure AMD has known too... they could have rolled the demo back by 2 days. :wink:

Your interpretation of course makes more sense than AMD introducing a 10GHz Barcy that will blow Intel into the weeds for the rest of the decade. If that is the way it's gonna go with the double banger of the Apr. 18 Q1 earnings and the Apr. 23 Barcy flop, AMD might be a penny stock!

Dade_0182

Distinguished
Apr 3, 2006
I've seen so many takes on why the demo is only after the intel price drops and I still can't see a good enough reason. They really have to have something real special for us for making us wait this damn long...

yakyb

Distinguished
Jun 14, 2006
i agree to make us wait this long they are going to drop a bomb, but basically there are three ways this could turn out tho

1.) same performance as C2D
2.) 10% improvement over C2D
3.) blows C2D out of the water (Like C2D did to the x2's)

if its either of the first 2 the bomb thats dropped will be that AMD will be in for very hard times

if its 3 then expect AMD to regain the market share that its lost over the last 10 months.

i personally hope for 3 as an AMD fan (and a competative market fan)

but sadly im expecting 2

1Tanker

Splendid
Apr 28, 2006
i agree to make us wait this long they are going to drop a bomb, but basically there are three ways this could turn out tho

1.) same performance as C2D
2.) 10% improvement over C2D
3.) blows C2D out of the water (Like C2D did to the x2's)

if its either of the first 2 the bomb thats dropped will be that AMD will be in for very hard times

if its 3 then expect AMD to regain the market share that its lost over the last 10 months.

i personally hope for 3 as an AMD fan (and a competative market fan)

but sadly im expecting 2
I think most could live with (2)...~10% +/- 5%, better than C2D, but just parity with C2D (1) will get AMD massacred in the stock market, on review sites, and in stores...i highly highly doubt that (1) will be the outcome though. :wink:

sactogw

Distinguished
Jan 6, 2007
Frys has the 4300 with mobo for $129 right now, and the x2 4600 for $119 with mobo (both ECS mobos; the mobo with the 4600 is a better ECS model). I'm not sure that these combos will go any lower on the 22nd, but the cpus by themselves will see a drop (heck, just buy the mobo combo and use the mobo as a back-up in case of emergency). RAM is getting cheaper too, so now is the time to start thinking about droppin some cheddar.