XP Performance

April 15, 2005 8:44:42 PM

I do not have a specific question but would be interested to see if a
discussion can be started about the performance of Windows XP. Let me start
by saying that while I started out using Macs I moved over to Windows some
years ago because I was tired of going into computer stores and being told
that the Mac section was in the last aisle, on the right, bottom shelf
against the wall! I simply caved in to the overwhelming popularity of
Windows. While I am not terribly proud of myself for having made this move
the fact is that I have generally been pretty happy with Windows ... wince
though I do at the thought that I am adding a bit to Bill Gates' coffers
(thank goodness he is such a generous humanitarian). It's my choice and I
have made it. Certainly XP is a huge improvement over earlier version of
Windows ... I am amazed at its resiliency and overall stability. I have put
a lot of software on my system and it seems to handle things fine. My
concern about XP is that it seems to go off and spin its wheels (hitting the
disk like mad in the process) doing lord-only-knows-what for minutes at a
time and then it seems to settle down and everything's OK. It takes me
about 10 minutes after starting a re-boot before the system settles down
into a quiet state ... during this time the disk is being hit constantly.
Aside from booting I cannot really characterize when these periods of heavy
and prolonged disk activity occur ... sometimes (not always) when I load
Outlook to look at my mail it may take a minute or more (no kidding) before
the hard disk stops cranking away and I can click on a mail message to view
it ... sometimes (not always) when I go to a web site the initial (but
blank) IE window comes up and it may take minutes for the page content to
appear (I'm using DSL in one location and a cable modem in another ... no
dial-up). I am frustrated because I do not know what is going on ... I
suspect that XP is doing some sort of background system updating or
maintenance ... XP seems to be fairly stingy with messages when it is doing
automatic updates. On occasion I have gone to the Windows Task Manager
(ctrl-alt-del) and tried to figure out what process is doing all the I/O but
I really don't see any that are clearly at fault. I have defragged the disk
and have installed all updates ... including SP2 (but I don't think that SP2
has exacerbated the problem ... it was happening before SP2). Do other
people experience the phenomenon that I do ... that XP frequently starts
going crazy for minutes at a time ... and then settles down and is OK? What
in the world is going on? Is there some way to get a handle on what in Sam
Hill is going on? I am beginning to think that this is simply a
characteristic of Windows XP ... there may be nothing wrong with the system
at all ... these periods of mysterious activity are simply an unavoidable
"feature" of the system. The system is great except for its tendency to go
off into la-la-land every now and then.

Thanks.

More about : performance

Anonymous
April 15, 2005 9:40:11 PM

Fripper

You may have malware/spyware in residence..

Spyware/Adware/Scumware has become a major player in compromising
computers.. they introduce viruses, trojans and worms.. they attempt to send
out information about you, and they also slow your computer down.. in your
case, unwarranted hard drive activity, maybe..

The worst of it is that you probably downloaded the spyware, albeit
inadvertently..

Some basic steps to removing Spyware/Adware..

First step is to run a one shot virus remover.. I have found that McAfee
Stinger works for people.. download and run it..

http://vil.nai.com/vil/stinger/

You will also need to download Spyware removal software.. Spybot and Adaware
are available at these websites.. both are free.. download and run them..
don't forget to check for updates after you have started them..

.... and this link is for the latest Microsoft helping..

http://www.microsoft.com/athome/security/spyware/softwa...

Spybot has the ability to immunize a system, but there is better for this
function, so download and run Spyware Blaster too.. again, check for
updates..

http://www.javacoolsoftware.com/

If you have had your Internet browser hijacked, that is to say, you get
redirected through a search engine NOT of your choosing, you will need
different tools..

HijackThis is a popular and effective tool.. download it from here..

http://www.spychecker.com/download/download_hijackthis....

CWShredder will eliminate CoolWebSearch and variants.. there is a free
download here..

CWShredder.. http://www.intermute.com/spysubtract/cwshredder_downloa...

About:blank.. http://www.securiteam.com/securityreviews/5RP0L0UD5U.ht...

http://www.pchell.com/support/aboutblank.shtml

For other tools in the fight against spyware, visit this website and
bookmark it..

http://www.pchell.com

You must also run a firewall and anti-virus program.. here are some links
for you..

http://www.mcafee.com

http://www.symantec.com

http://www.zonealarm.com

http://www.kerio.com

http://www.gate.com

http://www.grisoft.com

Please return to this thread and provide feedback.. it is the only way that
helpers here can determine how effective the advice given has been..

Good luck..

--
Mike Hall
MVP - Windows Shell/user

http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm

"fripper" <young@indiana.edu> wrote in message
news:D 3p94601jfe@enews3.newsguy.com...
> [...]
>(ctrl-alt-del) and tried to figure out what process is doing all the I/O
>but I really don't see any that are clearly at fault. I have defragged the
>disk and have installed all updates ... including SP2 (but I don't think
>that SP2 has exacerbated the problem ... it was happening before SP2). Do
>other people experience the phenomenon that I do ... that XP frequently
>starts going crazy for minutes at a time ... and then settles down and is
>OK? What in the world is going on? Is there some way to get a handle on
>what in Sam Hill is going on? I am beginning to think that this is simply
>a characteristic of Windows XP ... there may be nothing wrong with the
>system at all ... these periods of mysterious activity are simply an
>unavoidable "feature" of the system. The system is great except for its
>tendency to go off into la-la-land every now and then.

April 16, 2005 1:02:09 AM

Thanks Mike and Shenan ... you have given me large lists of things to look
into and I will do just that over the next few days. I don't have any idea
if the behavior I am seeing is what one would expect of a "clean" system or
if my symptoms clearly indicate that something has gotten into my system.
As you both suggest keeping one's system "clean" is an involved and
time-consuming task ... and it is my responsibility to keep it clean. I am
just disheartened that I have to invest so much time, energy and resources
into keeping myself "clean". I hope that future versions of Windows will
not require this level of diligence. Your right Shenan I do change the oil
in my car (about 20 minutes) ... change the A/C filter (5 minutes) and pay
the bills (mostly done automatically using [yikes] the computer!).

I will post a message here after I have plowed through your lists and let
you know if things improve.

Thanks for your help.
April 16, 2005 1:44:54 AM

Fripper

It really doesn't take too long.. just a few mins per week once everything
is in place..

--

news:D 3po7j013k@enews4.newsguy.com...
> Thanks Mike and Shenan ... you have given me large lists of things to look
> into and I will do just that over the next few days. I don't have any
> idea if the behavior I am seeing is what one would expect of a "clean"
> system or if my symptoms clearly indicate that something has gotten into
> my system. As you both suggest keeping one's system "clean" is an involved
> and time-consuming task ... and it is my responsibility to keep it clean.
> I am just disheartened that I have to invest so much time, energy and
> resources into keeping myself "clean". I hope that future versions of
> Windows will not require this level of diligence. Your right Shenan I do
> change the oil in my car (about 20 minutes) ... change the A/C filter (5
> minutes) and pay the bills (mostly done automatically using [yikes] the
> computer!).
>
> I will post a message here after I have plowed through your lists and let
> you know if things improve.
>
> Thanks for your help.

Anonymous
April 16, 2005 1:51:36 AM

Fripper

One more point.. while XP is not perfect, the reason for such diligence is
down to some wanting to spoil the party by sending out malicious code.. as
fast as MS fix something, the unscrupulous are about to release yet more
code..

--
Mike Hall
MVP - Windows Shell/user

http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm

"fripper" <young@indiana.edu> wrote in message
news:D 3po7j013k@enews4.newsguy.com...
> Thanks Mike and Shenan ... you have given me large lists of things to look
> into and I will do just that over the next few days. I don't have any
> idea if the behavior I am seeing is what one would expect of a "clean"
> system or if my symptoms clearly indicate that something has gotten into
> my system. As you both suggest keeping one's system "clean" is an involved
> and time-consuming task ... and it is my responsibility to keep it clean.
> I am just disheartened that I have to invest so much time, energy and
> resources into keeping myself "clean". I hope that future versions of
> Windows will not require this level of diligence. Your right Shenan I do
> change the oil in my car (about 20 minutes) ... change the A/C filter (5
> minutes) and pay the bills (mostly done automatically using [yikes] the
> computer!).
>
> I will post a message here after I have plowed through your lists and let
> you know if things improve.
>
> Thanks for your help.

Anonymous
April 16, 2005 11:44:12 AM

> [...]

>(ctrl-alt-del) and tried to figure out what process is doing all the I/O but
>I really don't see any that are clearly at fault. I have defragged the disk
>and have installed all updates ... including SP2 (but I don't think that SP2
>has exacerbated the problem ... it was happening before SP2). Do other
>people experience the phenomenon that I do ... that XP frequently starts
>going crazy for minutes at a time ... and then settles down and is OK? What
>in the world is going on? Is there some way to get a handle on what in Sam
>Hill is going on? I am beginning to think that this is simply a
>characteristic of Windows XP ... there may be nothing wrong with the system
>at all ... these periods of mysterious activity are simply an unavoidable
>"feature" of the system. The system is great except for its tendency to go

You did not provide any description of the hardware you are using.
Windows XP is extremely sensitive to the amount of RAM in your
computer, and the RAM specifications published by Microsoft are
somewhat overoptimistic, to put it mildly.

Here is my standard commentary regarding RAM upgrades and Windows XP:

Adding more memory can noticeably improve performance only if the
added memory results in reduced usage of the virtual memory paging
file. Therefore if the paging file is not currently being used to any
significant extent then adding more memory will not provide a
significant improvement.

Unfortunately there is no ready way of determing actual paging file
usage provided with Windows XP - it does not have an equivalent to the
'Memory Manager - Swap File In Use" reporting provided by the System
Monitor utility in Windows 95/98/Me.

There is a free utility that you can download and run which will
provide this information for you. It was written by MVP Bill James and
you can get if from
http://www.dougknox.com/xp/utils/xp_pagefilemon.htm or from
http://billsway.com/notes_public/WinXP_Tweaks/

If that utility shows actual page file usage of 50 mb or more on a
regular basis then that is indicative of fairly significant paging
file activity. Adding more RAM will reduce or even eliminate entirely
this activity thereby improving performance.

This apples regardless of how much or how little RAM is currently
installed in the computer, at least up to the 4 gb RAM maximum for
Windows XP.

Hope this is of some assistance.

Good luck

Ron Martell Duncan B.C. Canada
--
Microsoft MVP
On-Line Help Computer Service

http://aumha.org/alex.htm
April 17, 2005 12:24:44 AM

Thanks Ron ... at your suggestion I have downloaded and installed Bill
James' Page File Monitor ... quick and easy to do. I am seeing Current Page
File Usage numbers above 150MB ... 152, 154, etc. ... even when my system is
quieted down and "idle". I am running the United Devices' Human Proteome
Folding background program (cancer research) ... it uses what would
otherwise be idle CPU cycles. I temporarily shutdown the program, ran the
page file monitor a couple of times and the Current Page File Usage figure
went UP [!] to 177MB. I would guess from this that this program is not
causing the high page file figure. The search continues!

Incidentally I am running XP Professional on a ThinkPad A30 with 384MB RAM.

Anonymous
April 17, 2005 1:46:28 AM

Fripper

512mb is better..

--

news:D 3sacr028qi@enews4.newsguy.com...
> [...]
>> you can get if from
>> http://www.dougknox.com/xp/utils/xp_pagefilemon.htm or from
>> http://billsway.com/notes_public/WinXP_Tweaks/
>>
>> If that utility shows actual page file usage of 50 mb or more on a
>> regular basis then that is indicative of fairly significant paging
>> file activity. Adding more RAM will reduce or even eliminate entirely
>> this activity thereby improving performance.
>>
>> This apples regardless of how much or how little RAM is currently
>> installed in the computer, at least up to the 4 gb RAM maximum for
>> Windows XP.
>>
>> Hope this is of some assistance.
>>
>> Good luck
>>

>> Ron Martell Duncan B.C. Canada
>> --
>> Microsoft MVP
>> On-Line Help Computer Service
>> http://onlinehelp.bc.ca
>>
>> In memory of a dear friend Alex Nichol MVP

Anonymous
April 18, 2005 3:59:04 AM

"fripper" <young@indiana.edu> wrote:

>Thanks Ron ... at your suggestion I have downloaded and installed Bill
>James' Page File Monitor ... quick and easy to do. I am seeing Current Page
>File Usage numbers above 150MB ... 152, 154, etc. ... even when my system is
>quieted down and "idle". I am running the United Devices' Human Proteome
>Folding background program (cancer research) ... it uses what would
>otherwise be idle CPU cycles. I temporarily shutdown the program, ran the
>page file monitor a couple of times and the Current Page File Usage figure
>went UP [!] to 177MB. I would guess from this that this program is not
>causing the high page file figure. The search continues!
>
>Incidentally I am running XP Professional on a ThinkPad A30 with 384MB RAM.

The page file usage figures indicate that you should add at least
another 128 mb and preferably 256 mb of RAM. You will notice an
improvement in performance.

Good luck

Ron Martell Duncan B.C. Canada
--
Microsoft MVP
On-Line Help Computer Service
http://onlinehelp.bc.ca

http://aumha.org/alex.htm
April 18, 2005 3:59:05 AM

Well, it appears that I may be light on memory but I wish someone could give
me some insight as to why a machine that is idle (except for a background,
low priority CPU hog) shows such high page file activity. Now, I will look
into adding memory to my system but I find it hard to believe that 384MB is
not enough to keep a machine running a few apps from thrashing. What I
don't know is if there are others things at play here. I have run the
Stinger virus checker and Norton Anti Virus ... no problems found. I also
ran SpyBot and found several entries ... Alexa Related, WildTangent, Fun
Web, DSO Exploit, Comet Cursors and a few others. I have no idea if these
are harmful but I did cripple them. Ad-aware showed nothing suspicious. I
will continue to work through Mike's list.

Thanks for your interest in this.

> "fripper" <young@indiana.edu> wrote:
>
>>Thanks Ron ... at your suggestion I have downloaded and installed Bill
>>James' Page File Monitor ... quick and easy to do. I am seeing Current
>>Page
>>File Usage numbers above 150MB ... 152, 154, etc. ... even when my system
>>is
>>quieted down and "idle". I am running the United Devices' Human Proteome
>>Folding background program (cancer research) ... it uses what would
>>otherwise be idle CPU cycles. I temporarily shutdown the program, ran the
>>page file monitor a couple of times and the Current Page File Usage figure
>>went UP [!] to 177MB. I would guess from this that this program is not
>>causing the high page file figure. The search continues!
>>
>>Incidentally I am running XP Professional on a ThinkPad A30 with 384MB
>>RAM.
>>

> The page file usage figures indicate that you should add at least
> another 128 mb and preferably 256 mb of RAM. You will notice an
> improvement in performance.
>
> Good luck
>

> Ron Martell Duncan B.C. Canada
> --
> Microsoft MVP
> On-Line Help Computer Service
> http://onlinehelp.bc.ca

> http://aumha.org/alex.htm
May 3, 2005 12:28:15 PM

Well, I have been through virtually every procedure that Mike and Shenan
have suggested. This has taken some time to do but I think it was worth it.
The system is performing somewhat better than it had been ... it seems to go
into its "let's hit the disk like mad for awhile" state less frequently ...
but it still does it occasionally. Thanks very much for your help with
this. It is frustrating to have a problem like this and not know the real
cause.

Good luck to you both.

> [...]
>(ctrl-alt-del) and tried to figure out what process is doing all the I/O
>but I really don't see any that are clearly at fault. I have defragged the
>disk and have installed all updates ... including SP2 (but I don't think
>that SP2 has exacerbated the problem ... it was happening before SP2). Do
>other people experience the phenomenon that I do ... that XP frequently
>starts going crazy for minutes at a time ... and then settles down and is
>OK? What in the world is going on? Is there some way to get a handle on
>what in Sam Hill is going on? I am beginning to think that this is simply
>a characteristic of Windows XP ... there may be nothing wrong with the
>system at all ... these periods of mysterious activity are simply an
>unavoidable "feature" of the system. The system is great except for its
>tendency to go off into la-la-land every now and then.

Anonymous
May 3, 2005 1:24:07 PM

Fripper

Thanks for the feedback.. you may well have an issue remaining that is not
covered by advice that we gave..

It is difficult to assess what may still be wrong.. you should look at the
processes running.. you may have something installed that is monitoring the
system occasionally.. do you have anything like Norton System Works
installed?.. re. running processes, do NOT worry if you have thirty or
more.. it is not the quantity of processes running that matters.. it is the
quality that is the issue here..

It would also be prudent to update all drivers.. sometimes, an issue is
caused by something that you might consider to be so unrelated that it isn't
funny..

Use MSCONFIG to diagnose start-up items.. running in Safe Mode for an hour
or two would show up drivers as being the cause, as Safe Mode loads with the
absolute minimum running..

If you have installation media for your own programs, uninstall a few of
them and run a more basic set up for a few days.. try downloading a free
anti-virus and firewall, uninstall whatever you have running, and use the
free versions for a day or two.. if you see no difference just re-instate
your av and firewall of choice..

If you have any hardware devices connected like USB external drives, unplug
them and monitor the system..

Virtual memory, or lack of it can cause problems.. corruption in the page
file might cause it.. take a look at this site for more info..
http://aumha.org/win5/a/xpvm.php..

A step further from the pagefile.. you may have a damaged drive.. lost
clusters etc.. look for the existence of any file with the extension .chk..
files of this nature will have names like 'file0001.chk'.. these indicate
system crashes, and don't normally have any effect on a system directly, but
their very presence indicates that the system may have problems..

It would be a good time to clear temp files.. use XP's Disk Cleanup..

Whatever you learn from doing any of the above will be useful knowledge for
you, and for others if you post it back to here..

Good luck

--

news:D 57qp50b82@enews1.newsguy.com...

!