corvetteguy

Distinguished
Jan 15, 2006
This is gonna seem noobish on my part but meh.

I was reading an overclokcing convo and they said about the cpu speed x ht speed, so i looked it up, and lowered it to 4x instead of 5x, and i still wouldn't overclock any higher.

Now i'm not so much looking for overclocking help, as much as i wanna know what the ht speed should be, does it matter to performance?

My current ht speed is 1350, 5x my cpu speed. I thought it was supposed to be 2000 or something?

Plus if i lower the multi to 9, i think i'll be outta sync with my memory, and the memory wouldn't be able to go any higher than what its at, let alone 1200! 8O

1Tanker

Splendid
Apr 28, 2006

I was reading an overclokcing convo and they said about the cpu speed x ht speed, so i looked it up, and lowered it to 4x instead of 5x, and i still wouldn't overclock any higher.

Now i'm not so much looking for overclocking help, as much as i wanna know what the ht speed should be, does it matter to performance?

My current ht speed is 1350, 5x my cpu speed. I thought it was supposed to be 2000 or something?

Plus if i lower the multi to 9, i think i'll be outta sync with my memory, and the memory wouldn't be able to go any higher than what its at, let alone 1200! 8O
Ideally, you want it as close to 1000 as possible. You, therefore, should lower it to 3. It won't impact performance noticeably. Even at x4, you are running 1080. Some setups will handle that, but ~ 1050 is usually the limit. GL :)

corvetteguy

Distinguished
Jan 15, 2006

Ideally, you want it as close to 1000 as possible. You, therefore, should lower it to 3. It won't impact performance noticeably. Even at x4, you are running 1080. Some setups will handle that, but ~ 1050 is usually the limit. GL :)

So you are saying my computer is running too fast? 8)

1Tanker

Splendid
Apr 28, 2006

So you are saying my computer is running too fast? 8)No, once the HT speed ...FSB(whatever)x HT multiplier gets over ~ 1050, stability suffers. So you should drop the multi to 3(x270= HT 810) Theoretically, with the 3x multi, you could get over 333MHz...if the CPU and chipset would handle it. Don't expect much change though, as far as overclocking goes.

frankienyc123

Distinguished
Sep 14, 2006
You want your HT no higher then 1000. Dont expect much more from your 3800x2 on air. These cpus generally top put around 2.8ghz or so. 2.7ghz is a nice OC for a 3800x2 you should be getting a nice performance boost.

corvetteguy

Distinguished
Jan 15, 2006
You want your HT no higher then 1000. Dont expect much more from your 3800x2 on air. These cpus generally top put around 2.8ghz or so. 2.7ghz is a nice OC for a 3800x2 you should be getting a nice performance boost.

I got it to post and load windows at 2.8ghz, but it only worked half the time, and was unstable. I clocked down to 2.75 and it was kinda ok, but cut out during a F.E.A.R session. At 2.7 its stable and runs games and 3dmark06, however pc probe was giving me alarms liekl crayz for voltages on everything like ht link and ram etc. So i clocked it down to 2.6. Then later i put it down to 2.5ghz because that puts all the voltages down to normal levels and the ht is 1000 exactly, and thats is where my vid card starts to bottleneck anyway.

So if i want to put it back up, i can, but for now 2.5 is fine.