Computer crapped out when i tried to do first OC.

gbudsefm

Distinguished
Dec 29, 2006
Well today I was attempting to OC my cpu for the very first time, I was using the sticky guide for Core 2 duos..I was able to succusfully OC it a few MHZ but then i decided not to do this until later.

So I went into bios and set everything to default, When I tried to load into windows my PC wouldn't get past the windows loading screen. It gets to that screen and restarts everytime.

I tried to reinstall windows but when I boot from the CD and it finishes doing all the file loading it says there is no windows CD in the drive, or it cannot recognize it, Even though it just booted from it.

My motherboard is a Gigabyte GA-965P-S3

And my processor is an Intel C2D e6400.

EDIT: I was able to load into windows fine BEFORE i decided not to OC until later and reset my BIOS to default. So something happened when I did that....but I can't figure out what.

gbudsefm

Distinguished
Dec 29, 2006
Well after fooling with some BIOS settings and formatting my HDD through windows repair utility I was able to get it to recognize the windows disk and get windows installed..

I lost around 100 gb of music files in the process, guess that will teach me to back everything up before doing stuff like this.

gbudsefm

Distinguished
Dec 29, 2006
Argh it's not over yet :(

I got to the part where you setup windows, It asked me to put in my product key so I had to hunt for the little sticker, but when I put it in it said invalid product key. I'm sitting here staring at the sticker and double checking what I typed in.

Computers hate me honestly.

MEGAWATTZ2000

Distinguished
Sep 2, 2006
Perhaps you should become familiar with your BIOS reset jumper?

I have the same board ... There aren't any jumpers for the BIOS it's all automated, the board automatically detects any wrong settings and resets the bios automatically to default ...

Well atleast that's what my board does ..

I've never had a problem overclocking my computer or had loss data etc .. that's very strange

MEGAWATTZ2000

Distinguished
Sep 2, 2006
Argh it's not over yet :(

I got to the part where you setup windows, It asked me to put in my product key so I had to hunt for the little sticker, but when I put it in it said invalid product key. I'm sitting here staring at the sticker and double checking what I typed in.

Computers hate me honestly.

You need to call the 1-800- number and have them give you a new product code number .... I've called them 5 times already

Zayce

Distinguished
Apr 10, 2007
...the board automatically detects any wrong settings and resets the bios automatically to default ...

I've heard good things about that board, but removing the ability to manually reset your CMOS sounds like a mess of problems waiting to happen. :?

gbudsefm

Distinguished
Dec 29, 2006
Hmm Megawatt, My board does have the cmos jumpers. It's a rev 1.0 if that makes any difference.

As far as the windows product key thing goes.....I'm using the same key I used when I first started up the computer. I guess I'll just have to call microsoft

MEGAWATTZ2000

Distinguished
Sep 2, 2006
Hmm Megawatt, My board does have the cmos jumpers. It's a rev 1.0 if that makes any difference.

As far as the windows product key thing goes.....I'm using the same key I used when I first started up the computer. I guess I'll just have to call microsoft

Yea I just noticed you have the slightly older board which has the smaller heatsink on the northbridge if i'm not mistaken ...
My board looks similar to the DS3 Model ... I have the Rev 3.0 of the 965P

As for Windows XP you need to call the number and talk to a support team to reactivate windows ...