Using Files and Settings Transfer Wizard

OK... I just got a new Dell Dimension 3000 with Windows XP (Home Edition)
and I want to transfer files to it from my old Dell XPS D333. I'm trying to
use the
Files and Settings Transfer Wizard that comes with Windows XP, but I've run
into a problem. I have to use a serial file transfer cable, because my old
computer doesn't have a network connection. I made a Windows XP CD, so I can
use the wizard on my old computer, and I start to use the wizard on each
computer... but I only get as far as the window where you set up your serial
connection. I click on "autoconnect" on each computer, but it just keeps
searching for hours without detecting a connection. Can anyone think of any
obvious mistakes I may have made? I'm using an RS-232C cable (female DB9 to
female DB9) and I connected it to the only 9 pin connectios available on
each computer. Any help would be much appreciated. Thanks in advance!

Bob

you need a crossover cable for that connection.
good luck.
mark

"Robert Coppola" wrote:

> OK... I just got a new Dell Dimension 3000 with Windows XP (Home Edition)
> and I want to transfer files to it from my old Dell XPS D333. I'm trying to
> use the
> Files and Settings Transfer Wizard that comes with Windows XP, but I've run
> into a problem. I have to use a serial file transfer cable, because my old
> computer doesn't have a network connection. I made a Windows XP CD, so I can
> use the wizard on my old computer, and I start to use the wizard on each
> computer... but I only get as far as the window where you set up your serial
> connection. I click on "autoconnect" on each computer, but it just keeps
> searching for hours without detecting a connection. Can anyone think of any
> obvious mistakes I may have made? I'm using an RS-232C cable (female DB9 to
> female DB9) and I connected it to the only 9 pin connectios available on
> each computer. Any help would be much appreciated. Thanks in advance!
>
> Bob

br549

Take the disk out of the old and install it in the new as a slave, it's the
easiest way to get things done. You'll have everything copied before you
get that serial connection running.

"Robert Coppola" <robertcoppola@earthlink.net> wrote in message
[...]

Thanks. The problem is, I have no idea how to do that. (^_^);;

"BR549" <nospams@spam.com> wrote in message
> Take the disk out of the old and install it in the new as a slave, it's
> the
> easiest way to get things done. You'll have everything copied before you
> get that serial connection running.
>
> "Robert Coppola" <robertcoppola@earthlink.net> wrote in message
> OK... I just got a new Dell Dimension 3000 with Windows XP (Home Edition)
> and I want to transfer files to it from my old Dell XPS D333. I'm trying
> use the
> Files and Settings Transfer Wizard that comes with Windows XP, but I've
> run
> into a problem. I have to use a serial file transfer cable, because my old
> computer doesn't have a network connection. I made a Windows XP CD, so I
> can
> use the wizard on my old computer, and I start to use the wizard on each
> computer... but I only get as far as the window where you set up your
> serial
> connection. I click on "autoconnect" on each computer, but it just keeps
> searching for hours without detecting a connection. Can anyone think of
> any
> obvious mistakes I may have made? I'm using an RS-232C cable (female DB9
> female DB9) and I connected it to the only 9 pin connectios available on
> each computer. Any help would be much appreciated. Thanks in advance!
>
> Bob

How is a crossover cable different from a RS-232C cable? Thanks!

Bob

"justa computerguy" <justacomputerguy@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in
message news:5E9426B4-6ACA-4016-B517-51EEDBE1923F@microsoft.com...
> you need a crossover cable for that connection.
> good luck.
> mark
>
> "Robert Coppola" wrote:
>
>> OK... I just got a new Dell Dimension 3000 with Windows XP (Home Edition)
>> and I want to transfer files to it from my old Dell XPS D333. I'm trying
>> use the
>> Files and Settings Transfer Wizard that comes with Windows XP, but I've
>> run
>> into a problem. I have to use a serial file transfer cable, because my
>> old
>> computer doesn't have a network connection. I made a Windows XP CD, so I
>> can
>> use the wizard on my old computer, and I start to use the wizard on each
>> computer... but I only get as far as the window where you set up your
>> serial
>> connection. I click on "autoconnect" on each computer, but it just keeps
>> searching for hours without detecting a connection. Can anyone think of
>> any
>> obvious mistakes I may have made? I'm using an RS-232C cable (female DB9
>> female DB9) and I connected it to the only 9 pin connectios available on
>> each computer. Any help would be much appreciated. Thanks in advance!
>>
>> Bob

Jim

> How is a crossover cable different from a RS-232C cable? Thanks!
>
> Bob
Perhaps he meant a null modem cable.
Jim

> "justa computerguy" <justacomputerguy@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in
> message news:5E9426B4-6ACA-4016-B517-51EEDBE1923F@microsoft.com...
> > you need a crossover cable for that connection.
> > good luck.
> > mark
> >
> > "Robert Coppola" wrote:
> >
> >> OK... I just got a new Dell Dimension 3000 with Windows XP (Home
Edition)
> >> and I want to transfer files to it from my old Dell XPS D333. I'm
trying
> >> use the
> >> Files and Settings Transfer Wizard that comes with Windows XP, but I've
> >> run
> >> into a problem. I have to use a serial file transfer cable, because my
> >> old
> >> computer doesn't have a network connection. I made a Windows XP CD, so
> >> can
> >> use the wizard on my old computer, and I start to use the wizard on
each
> >> computer... but I only get as far as the window where you set up your
> >> serial
> >> connection. I click on "autoconnect" on each computer, but it just
keeps
> >> searching for hours without detecting a connection. Can anyone think of
> >> any
> >> obvious mistakes I may have made? I'm using an RS-232C cable (female
DB9
> >> female DB9) and I connected it to the only 9 pin connectios available
on
> >> each computer. Any help would be much appreciated. Thanks in advance!
> >>
> >> Bob

Perhaps. So, what is the difference between a null modem cable and a RS-232C
cable?

Bob

"Jim" <j.n@nospam.com> wrote in message

> "Robert Coppola" <robertcoppola@earthlink.net> wrote in message
>> How is a crossover cable different from a RS-232C cable? Thanks!
>>
>> Bob
> Perhaps he meant a null modem cable.
> Jim
>>

>> "justa computerguy" <justacomputerguy@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in
>> message news:5E9426B4-6ACA-4016-B517-51EEDBE1923F@microsoft.com...
>> > you need a crossover cable for that connection.
>> > good luck.
>> > mark

> Edition)
> trying
> each
> keeps
> DB9
> on

Null modem-cable, although functionally similar, is not the same thing as a
cross over cat-5 cable.
What both do is reverse the transmit and receive pins on one end of the
cable. Normally the cables carry the signal straight through. i.e.

tx ----- tx
rx ----- rx

--cross over--

tx--\ /--tx