Sign in with
Your question

My PC hangs, seems to be after heavy load.

Last response: in CPUs
April 12, 2007 5:40:33 AM

Im posting my problem here because I think its CPU related.

I recently board alot of new hardware for my machine, and since then I have had problems with it not being stable.

The machine consist of:

1 x Intel Core 2 Duo E6400 (Box cooler)
1 x Asus P5N32-E SLI Plus
4 Gb of Corsair 1024 MB DDR2, PC6400, DDR800 - CM2X1024-6400
2 x WD raid disks
1 x 6800 Nvidia graphiccard.

I have updated the bios on the motherboard to version 6.02, and I have installed the latest drivers I could find on Asus's site.
Besides from that I have been running PC-probe from Asus and my CPU never gets above 44 C, and the mobo doesnt get above 40 C.

The problem im having is that after playing a heavy game like C&C3 Tiberium Wars for a while the Pc just hangs. Sound is looping and I cant get in contact with the machine so I have to use the reset button.

I have experinced it 1 or 2 times that it loops for 10 sec then keeps running, but thats only on very rare occations.

It seems to either have somthing to do with how long the machine has been running, or if I play network.
I havent been able to get it to crash while playing local, but then again, I allmost never play local games.

I have checked the Windows logs, but no entries have been made when I reboot, and as I said, I dont get a bluescreen, it just totally locks up and the sound loops.

Hope you guys have some input about what I can do to fix this, cause its really getting to me. Allmost at the point where I wish I had my old machine again.

More about : hangs heavy load

April 12, 2007 5:45:39 AM

Could be your graphics card overheating or PSU that is taking a dump after having to deliver high power for an extended period of time.
April 12, 2007 5:52:41 AM

My PSU is an expensive (550W) one :-/ so I thought it would have enough power, but could you guys recommed some PSU's for such a rig like mine...
Im counting on installing an 8800 Nvidia card, at some point, so it should be able to run with that aswell, any suggestions?

I also thought about the graphic card because the card I have in is not my own.
My own have been sent to RMA cause it suddenly died on me.

My mate has a 7900GFX which he has promised he would borrow me, so ill try and install that one and see if that helps.
Related resources
a b à CPUs
April 12, 2007 6:33:29 AM

Quote:
Im posting my problem here because I think its CPU related.

I recently board alot of new hardware for my machine, and since then I have had problems with it not being stable.

The machine consist of:

1 x Intel Core 2 Duo E6400 (Box cooler)
1 x Asus P5N32-E SLI Plus
4 Gb of Corsair 1024 MB DDR2, PC6400, DDR800 - CM2X1024-6400
2 x WD raid disks
1 x 6800 Nvidia graphiccard.

I have updated the bios on the motherboard to version 6.02, and I have installed the latest drivers I could find on Asus's site.
Besides from that I have been running PC-probe from Asus and my CPU never gets above 44 C, and the mobo doesnt get above 40 C.

The problem im having is that after playing a heavy game like C&C3 Tiberium Wars for a while the Pc just hangs. Sound is looping and I cant get in contact with the machine so I have to use the reset button.

I have experinced it 1 or 2 times that it loops for 10 sec then keeps running, but thats only on very rare occations.

It seems to either have somthing to do with how long the machine has been running, or if I play network.
I havent been able to get it to crash while playing local, but then again, I allmost never play local games.

I have checked the Windows logs, but no entries have been made when I reboot, and as I said, I dont get a bluescreen, it just totally locks up and the sound loops.

Hope you guys have some input about what I can do to fix this, cause its really getting to me. Allmost at the point where I wish I had my old machine again.

Sounds like a problem with the video card. I don't know if nVIDIA have something similar to ATI's VPU, but the fact that you get that sound and then sometimes it keeps going unfreezing, its like the driver resets the card. Do you overclock your VGA? If so, then that is probably what it is. Regarding your CPU, did you measure that 44oC on load or idle? If that is idle, then on load it could be going up to 70+, depending on your cooling solution. Could be anything though, PCI conflicts, try removing any PCI cards and see if that solves the problem.

Good luck
April 12, 2007 6:45:43 AM

Only PCI card there is, is the sound card which comes with the Mobo.

I havent overcloked anything :)  Just running it as it is.

The 44C is while playing C&C3 in 1600x1200 with everything on max after 1 hour.

I think im gonna try a different Graphic card tonight. Many things seems to point at it :) 
a b à CPUs
April 12, 2007 6:48:15 AM

Quote:
Only PCI card there is, is the sound card which comes with the Mobo.

I havent overcloked anything :)  Just running it as it is.

The 44C is while playing C&C3 in 1600x1200 with everything on max after 1 hour.

I think im gonna try a different Graphic card tonight. Many things seems to point at it :) 

Also check memory timings. Use Orthos to test CPU, Memtest for Windows (not the DOS version) to test memory, and Orthos again with the Blend option to test both CPU and Memory for stability.
If it doesn't crash at any of those tests, you know at least that it is not the CPU or the memory. If it crashes in any of the above, then it is not the VGA.

Try to isolate the culprit.
April 12, 2007 7:07:46 AM

Orthos... :? I dont know that, do you have a link from where I can download that?

Then ill try and run that tonight when I get home to get the problem isolated.
April 12, 2007 7:14:33 AM

Quote:
My PSU is an expensive (550W) one :-/ so I thought it would have enough power, but could you guys recommed some PSU's for such a rig like mine...
Im counting on installing an 8800 Nvidia card, at some point, so it should be able to run with that aswell, any suggestions?

I also thought about the graphic card because the card I have in is not my own.
My own have been sent to RMA cause it suddenly died on me.

My mate has a 7900GFX which he has promised he would borrow me, so ill try and install that one and see if that helps.
When did your video card die? Since your new build? If that's the case, then it likely is your PSU, which is probably defective/dying, and could have killed your video card.
April 12, 2007 7:30:40 AM

My card died a while back.
2 months before I considered upgrading the machine.

The old rig ran just fine, but I only played WoW on it, and my new one runs fine in WoW aswell, but a more demanding game like C&C3 is a problem :) 
a b à CPUs
April 13, 2007 1:11:04 AM

Quote:
Orthos... :? I dont know that, do you have a link from where I can download that?

Then ill try and run that tonight when I get home to get the problem isolated.

Stress Prime 2004 - Orthos

There you go!
April 15, 2007 6:38:34 PM

Well now I have tried alot of things.

I tried running the CPU stress test and the memory test.
Both ran just fine without any errors.

I then tried a different graphic card, still the same weird lock ups :-/
Then I was told it could have somthing to do with my timings on my ram, since I am running 4Gb in the motherboard, so I took out 2GB.

1 of my mates have a machine, very much like mine.
Same CPU, ram, mobo, type of HD.
He is runing Vista on it wihtout any problems whatsoever, so now I decided to try out Vista on mine.

I only managed to get it to allmost complete 1 install without hanging 1 time. But once it gets into Vista if I just open up windows fast, or start surfing the OS hangs.

Then I started to wonder, can it be that the PSU just dont have the watt/amps to run this new hardware??

The machine is.
Intel Core 2 Duo.
Asus P5N32-E Plus SLI
4Gb Corsair 6400 ram
2 x WD sata raid disks
7900GTX Nivida graphic card
CDRW/DVD from Asus
Tempature controller from Cooler mater.
OCZ 520W PowerStream PSU

Is this PSU to small for this machine? Can this be the reason why its running to unstable?
a b à CPUs
April 15, 2007 11:59:36 PM

Quote:
Well now I have tried alot of things.

I tried running the CPU stress test and the memory test.
Both ran just fine without any errors.

I then tried a different graphic card, still the same weird lock ups :-/
Then I was told it could have somthing to do with my timings on my ram, since I am running 4Gb in the motherboard, so I took out 2GB.

1 of my mates have a machine, very much like mine.
Same CPU, ram, mobo, type of HD.
He is runing Vista on it wihtout any problems whatsoever, so now I decided to try out Vista on mine.

I only managed to get it to allmost complete 1 install without hanging 1 time. But once it gets into Vista if I just open up windows fast, or start surfing the OS hangs.

Then I started to wonder, can it be that the PSU just dont have the watt/amps to run this new hardware??

The machine is.
Intel Core 2 Duo.
Asus P5N32-E Plus SLI
4Gb Corsair 6400 ram
2 x WD sata raid disks
7900GTX Nivida graphic card
CDRW/DVD from Asus
Tempature controller from Cooler mater.
OCZ 520W PowerStream PSU

Is this PSU to small for this machine? Can this be the reason why its running to unstable?

What speed is the CPU at? Are you overclocking any components?
The PSU should be fine if everything is at stock speed. Unless it's faulty.
April 16, 2007 2:41:27 AM

Since you've tried everything else. May as well try to eliminate the PSU being the problem. Try another one and let us know how you go.

Have you tried opening up the system and making sure that all your peripherals and power plugs are making good contact with the board/plugs etc?

Maybe even check to see if the CPU is seated correctly :?:
April 16, 2007 3:57:14 AM

first that mobo sucks - the p5n-e is way more stable the hybird chipset is not too good. send the junker back and add a 40mm fan to nb on the p5n-e

secondly most likely your bis settings are wrong - you maually set your ram and cpu

most likely your ram is wrong - set your ram 2.1 (+/ - .1v) volts and then adjust your latencys until you get the fastest boot up and loading of programs -it works!

vista: dont load any drivers let windows do it!
April 16, 2007 6:03:42 AM

Well..
My memory settings are exactly what 1 of my mates are running flawlessly on his machine.
Same motherboard, ram, cpu.
And its the same setting which Corsair have said on their site is the right ones to use with my Asus motherboard and the ram I have.

If it was somthing not connected correctly it would be really weird that it can run for 6 hours in XP playing WoW, but when its asked to install Vista or run C&C3 it crashes.

Sounds alot more like somthing gets pushed to far in the crash situation imo.

I changed the graphic card from a 6800 to 7900 to try and see if the card was the problem. That seemed to make the Vista install ALOT more unstable, so can it just be the fact that my PSU doesnt have the power to run it all.

I think ill buy a new PSU and try that out, and idears about what PSU I should buy?
April 16, 2007 8:17:37 AM

Quote:
Well..
My memory settings are exactly what 1 of my mates are running flawlessly on his machine.
Same motherboard, ram, cpu.
And its the same setting which Corsair have said on their site is the right ones to use with my Asus motherboard and the ram I have.

If it was somthing not connected correctly it would be really weird that it can run for 6 hours in XP playing WoW, but when its asked to install Vista or run C&C3 it crashes.

Sounds alot more like somthing gets pushed to far in the crash situation imo.

I changed the graphic card from a 6800 to 7900 to try and see if the card was the problem. That seemed to make the Vista install ALOT more unstable, so can it just be the fact that my PSU doesnt have the power to run it all.

I think ill buy a new PSU and try that out, and idears about what PSU I should buy?
Sounds like a very good chance that that's the problem. GL :) 
April 16, 2007 9:18:02 AM

I have posted in the PSU section and been told that my OCZ is not good quality, and probably doesnt have the power to run the rig.

I have now ordered a quality one, ill let you know how it turns out.
April 16, 2007 2:03:08 PM

Goto Corsair's website or read your instructions; the voltage on your RAM needs turned up to proper levels. And set everything to stock, including memory timings, until you get your rig stable.
April 16, 2007 2:06:36 PM

Quote:
I have posted in the PSU section and been told that my OCZ is not good quality, and probably doesnt have the power to run the rig.

I have now ordered a quality one, ill let you know how it turns out.

It's not your PSU - you can easily check voltages in BIOS or probe SW.
April 16, 2007 2:19:30 PM

I was going to say it sounds PSU ish.
I'd have said the same, the other things is the factor that your PSU could have even fried your old one. Hopefully, your problems relent with your new PSU.
April 18, 2007 5:24:46 AM

Well the Enermax Liberty didnt do the trick either :( 

Its just as unstable in the install of Vista, BUT..

I have tried to install single drive on both my WD raid disk with 16 mb cache.
After trying yet 3 more times on those yesterday I found 1 of my old Seagate Sata drives with 8mb cache and tried that one.

Suddenly everything installed perfectly and Vista is running without any problems whatsoever :x I really dont get it...
April 18, 2007 2:32:24 PM

Oh I didn't see that you were using raid.
It most likely had to do with either raid configuration or it with vista. I never read they were raided just read 2 WD drives.
April 19, 2007 6:15:22 AM

I wasnt using the disks in a raid, the classification on the disks when I bought em was that it was raid disks, so they are fast with a big cache.

I just find it really weird that Vista can install and run perfectly on an old Seagate 8mb cache disk, but on a WD 16mb cache disk it fails and hangs in the performance testing window of the Vista install everytime :( 
April 19, 2007 12:23:26 PM

Well since your alrdy using the seagate. Run a checkdisk on the WD's. A few bad sectors will ruin your day. Just one system file has a bad sector or two and whole system will crawl.
April 19, 2007 1:24:54 PM

my one system is doing it
I think it is the psu

2 gig ram
6600 intel cpu
250 gig seagate hd
x.Fi soundcard
7950 gt screencard
coolermaster 550W psu.
asus p5b-Delux

The system i am playing games on is stable

2gig ram
6600 intel cpu
250 gig seagate hd
Asus commando mb
8800 gtx screencard
750w Thermaltake psu

I think the 550w psu is to small
a b à CPUs
April 19, 2007 1:55:14 PM

I would like to see pictures of CPU-Z.
I would like to know what voltage your cpu is running at.
Also what voltage do you have your memory at?
In my opinion both PSUs are fine.
April 19, 2007 2:21:47 PM

My memory voltage is 2.1, and the timings are the exact ones Corsair have stated is correct for my ram and motherboard.

CPU-Z? is that a program, or can I take these numbers from Asus Pc-probe or somthing?
April 19, 2007 3:04:54 PM

it sounds like your power supply might not be giving your parts enough juice at load so they system just stalls because it isnt meeting power requirements.

check the power requirements for all your parts and tell us what your psu is.
April 20, 2007 6:33:04 AM

I bought a brand new Enermax Liberty, because the guys in the PSU forum also thought it might be my old OCZ PSU messing up.

The Enermax Liberty should give more than enough power to a system like mine according to the gurus in that section, and also if I read the stickies inthere and look at the label on the PSU it should be more than needed.

I have a hard time believing it should be the ram or the PSU at this current time, since it runs absolutly flawless with the Seagate 8mb cache disk, but just cant run with the WD 16 mb cache disk.

1 of my mates have just ordered a WD raptor disk (10.000 rpm, 16 mb cache). He promised me we could try and install Vista on it in my machine, just to see if it fails like my fast WD disks.

To me it looks more like a driver issue with the Sata controller driver on the Vista install disk for the Sata controller on my board. Or just a faulty motherboard maybe.
April 28, 2007 12:59:41 PM

My CISNET system (Windows XP) has been hanging intermittently since I got it. I've swapped out hard drives, memory, power supplies, everything but the motherboard and CPU.

Recently I noticed that it consistently hung whenever another computer on the network started an over-the-network backup to a server, also on the same network.

I unplugged the network cable, and my system would no longer hang.

I've disabled the Internet gateway (removed it as a Windows component, to be precise).

So far, so good...
!