Widescreen and the Internet

Status
Not open for further replies.

smudgeyjoe

Distinguished
Apr 12, 2007
I just received a 22 in. Dell Wide Screen monitor today. The monitor is awesome, and it's resolution is also awesome, it's connected via DVI, but I soon learned what I didn't know before hand. Many of the websites look crummy. ESPN is my one of my homepages in IE7 but it looks pretty horrible. The whole page is scrunched together on the far left. I learned about hitting the zoom button, and that improves it some, but really doesn't solve the problem. Also, is one browser more HD Widescreen compatible than another.? Thanks in advance for any thoughts you might have!!!! :D

vanka

Distinguished
Apr 27, 2006
Check out Maxiumum PC's article (read it in the printed version but it should be available online) on 30" monitors. Real eye-opener - especially if you were planning on watching HD DVD or Bluray movies on it. It seems that 30" monitors have no internal scalers (too expensive to implement one for a screen this size using current tech) and all scaling is handled by the video card. Basically you're effectively stuck at the native resolution. Also, since neither nVidia no ATI support HDCP over dual-link DVI you're stuck viewing HDCP video at a quarter of native resolution (half in each dimension) and not at the maximum that single-link DVI supports.

xsamitt

Distinguished
Mar 28, 2007
Thanks vanka for the info

May I ask what would be the biggest monitor one should get considering what you've said?Yes I want to use it movies ,games the whole shot.I don't like being stuck at native resolution.

Thanks again for your time.

dashelj

Distinguished
Apr 11, 2003
I have a 24 inch monitor and the resolution is 1900x1200. I find it great for surfing the web and playing games. Since the resolution is close to that of 1080p (1900x1080) it is great if you have a game console (though I dont yet). The feature you really want to look for though is 1:1 pixel mapping - that way if you want to display a non native resolution it will simply put black bars onscreen instead of forcing the image to be displayed over the whole monitor which will result in some stretching.

xsamitt

Distinguished
Mar 28, 2007
Sounds Good

I prefer gaming on PC but I will be buying a PS3 when the price comes down fo the games that only can be played onthat system.

Thanks for the info :wink:

Ninjaz7

Distinguished
Dec 16, 2006
Ya,whats the skinny on a size that gamers are growing to preferr,22?,24?,19 even?? 8O .I've been explained to that I'm supposed to be looking for a WSXGA+,is this valid :? ?

jamiepotter

Distinguished
Oct 8, 2006
Interesting....I was thinking about going for the 30 inch from dell that just came out.3007WFP-HC It's speck looks killer.Guess the web would look ultra crap on something that big.

Check it out.
http://accessories.dell.com/sna/productdetail.aspx?c=ca&l=en&s=dhs&cs=cadhs1&sku=222-7175

Nope. You do need to use zoom a bit though. The thing about the 30 inchers is that the resolution is huge even for the size.

jwolf24601

Distinguished
Apr 10, 2007
Best big monitor atm I would say would be a tv...

The westinghouse 37" 1080p HDTV was reviewed in PCGamer March2007

It's 1920x1080 resolution so most good video cards can run it well.

Based on the article I bought one, it's great lots of connectors including dvi. Replaced both my monitor and tv. I have not upgraded my computer yet but my 9600pro runs it decently, no worse than my 1600x1200 crt i had.

Main drawback is you have to sit so far back from the thing it doesn't work so well on a standard desk :p

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16889234001

angelkiller

Distinguished
Feb 1, 2007
You could try adjusting the DPI. It makes stuff appear bigger, without changing the resolution.

Right Click desktop, properties, settings, advanced, genral. Default is 96, just adjust it to whatever you like.

Just an idea.

jamiepotter

Distinguished
Oct 8, 2006
I do, but it messes a lot of programs up, so you can't push it much beyond 120%. I'm hoping this is one of the areas in which Vista will be superior... anyone know on this?

vanka

Distinguished
Apr 27, 2006
Well a 24" screen has the maximum resolution that can be sent through a single-link DVI; so if you get one with HDCP you're set. I personally don't think that the extra screen real estate is worth the extra cash over a 22". As someone has already posted: 22" screens are the new 19"ers.

TheFaz

Distinguished
Apr 30, 2007
I want to keep this thread on topic, but with all this talk of widescreens can you check out another thread that I started, which asks "Which is the best desk for a 37" monitor?"

Thanks, any feedback is appreciated!

swankie

Distinguished
Nov 13, 2009
Use fire-fox. It lets you have complete controle of text and graphics. Bill is a money grabing tight fisted C+Ctrl-v. Smile

Status
Not open for further replies.