wolfman140

Distinguished
Jun 6, 2006
Heya,
So..I had XP on one hdd and Vista on the other...I found that somehow Vista was making XP games unstable (because they hadn't acted up until I installed Vista). So anyway, I formatted the Vista hdd...now I'm just wondering how one gets rid of the dual boot option that will still come up after post. You can still choose one of the two OS's (of course Vista won't work)...I wanna get rid of that. I'm guessing that maybe clearing the CMOS might solve it, but before I did that I wanted to know if anyone else knew. Thanks!

davemar14

Distinguished
Feb 7, 2003
This is what you have to do.

1. Load XP and go to Control Panel
2. Click on System Icon
3. Click Advanced Tab
4. Look for Startup and Recovery, and click settings button
5. A new window will load, click the edit buton
6. Another window will open in Notepad
7. Delete where it says Vista, leave XP
8. It should look like mine below:
[boot loader]
timeout=30
default=multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS
[operating systems]
multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS="Microsoft Windows XP Professional" /fastdetect
9. That should delete the boot loader and put XP as the default :)

My System:
http://amdgamingrig.dyndns.org

wolfman140

Distinguished
Jun 6, 2006
Damn I think something changed with this new RC1 version? I did what you said and there is no entry for Vista, however it says at the top
"Warning: Use bcdedit.exe to edit the boot file for Windows Vista"

So now I have to figure out what the devil that is, and I'll be all set. I did a search for it but found nothing. I hope its not in Vista cuz that be gone! Any ideas?

wolfman140

Distinguished
Jun 6, 2006
OK nvm...what a pain in the arse. Had to download a Vista Boot Pro program to do it or it would've been a major pain to do it manually. Silly Vista. BAH to that.