Connecting 3 monitors in windows 7

GuruLite

Distinguished
Nov 30, 2009
I have 3 monitors connected in windows 7 64 bit; VGA, DVI & HDMI/DVI cable. The displays are all there, but I can only get two to work at one time. I can readily switch between them but not get all 3 to be as one extended desktop.

I have a feeling I'm missing something simple, like another piece of hardware to extend them as-one.

The system is an ASUS CG5270, Quad Core2 Q8300 with Intel G45/G43 Express Chipset (display).

I was pleased that I could use the HDMI output to a DVI monitor for the 3rd monitor. It doesn't appear that Windows 7 wants to allow three displays together as one expanded desktop. What am I missing?

Your suggestions are appreciated.
GuruLite

Solution
This is a function of the graphics driver, not Windows 7 itself. Intel chipsets with integrated video controllers only support a maximum of 2 monitors. You will either need multiple discrete graphics cards, or will need to find a specific model of video card that allows all 3 outputs to be used at once. AMD has such a card, but I am unable to recall the model number of that card right now.
This is a function of the graphics driver, not Windows 7 itself. Intel chipsets with integrated video controllers only support a maximum of 2 monitors. You will either need multiple discrete graphics cards, or will need to find a specific model of video card that allows all 3 outputs to be used at once. AMD has such a card, but I am unable to recall the model number of that card right now.

Solution

GuruLite

Distinguished
Nov 30, 2009

--------------
Thanks for the reply... just a follow-up question. With the Intel G45/G43 Express Chipset on the board, I have connected 3 displays; DVI, VGA & the HDMI to DVI-display. I was thinking that the onboard drivers would let me use all 3, as they will let me connect and display each, just not all three as an extended desktop. When I look under device manager I see all three displays connected thru the Intel G45/G43 Express Chipset. ...from your response, there is no way to get these three to work together with this chipset? ...all 3 as an extended desktop.

I will check into the 3-headed graphics cards that you suggested.

Not as an extended desktop, no. Again, this is something the driver itself would have to allow, and Intel's IGP drivers do not.

GuruLite

Distinguished
Nov 30, 2009
GuruLite here... Matrox has this TripleHead2Go box that allows 3 monitor off the DVI connection and still one off the VGA. So, after researching the cost of 3-headed video cards and this device, which can be readily moved from machine to machine, I'm going with the TripleHead2Go. The cost is ~$300, but it gets high marks from most users.

I'm trying to extend the desktop for stock/futures trading. For gamers, this may not be the optimal solution, though many seemed to be pleased with it.

Thanks to all.

G

If you have an extra CPU in your LAN you may try a good software-solution provided by maxivista.com; aside the hardware connected monitor than you will be able to extend your desktop to 3 or more screens
good luck

PB from Holland

rstolins

Distinguished
Jan 26, 2010

Hey GuruLite,

I see you were about to try a Matrox TripleHead2Go box. How has that worked out? I've finally decided that I'll be more productive with three screens rather than the 2 I've gotten by with the last several years. I just do 2D stuff, no gaming, if that makes much difference. I've found other Matrox products to be well-designed with good drivers, but I've never tried one of their 2Go boxes.

Thanks in advance for your reply,
Russel
Santa Fe, NM

TomBrooklyn

Distinguished
Jun 21, 2007

Is this still true on the H67 boards with an i5 SandyBridge 2500K CPU?

I want to use the setup for photo editing and I don't know if it would be better to get a discrete display card(s) anyway.