Connecting 3 monitors in windows 7

Tags:
  • Configuration
  • Windows 7
  • Monitors
  • Product
Last response: in Windows 7
November 30, 2009 3:24:44 AM

I have 3 monitors connected in windows 7 64 bit; VGA, DVI & HDMI/DVI cable. The displays are all there, but I can only get two to work at one time. I can readily switch between them but not get all 3 to be as one extended desktop.

I have a feeling I'm missing something simple, like another piece of hardware to extend them as-one.

The system is an ASUS CG5270, Quad Core2 Q8300 with Intel G45/G43 Express Chipset (display).

I was pleased that I could use the HDMI output to a DVI monitor for the 3rd monitor. It doesn't appear that Windows 7 wants to allow three displays together as one expanded desktop. What am I missing?

Your suggestions are appreciated.
GuruLite

More about : connecting monitors windows

Best solution

a c 215 $ Windows 7
a b C Monitor
November 30, 2009 3:34:31 AM

This is a function of the graphics driver, not Windows 7 itself. Intel chipsets with integrated video controllers only support a maximum of 2 monitors. You will either need multiple discrete graphics cards, or will need to find a specific model of video card that allows all 3 outputs to be used at once. AMD has such a card, but I am unable to recall the model number of that card right now.
a b $ Windows 7
a b C Monitor
November 30, 2009 8:05:58 AM

I believe (though I'd have to double check) that all 5000 series cards support triple monitor setups.
m
l
Related resources
a b $ Windows 7
a b C Monitor
November 30, 2009 8:07:34 AM

Yes, 5000 series graphics cards do, but you'd need a monitor with a display port input. If not, one can acquire a display port adapter (active). The only place that I've seen that sells them is Dell for a hundred bucks.
m
l
a b $ Windows 7
November 30, 2009 10:53:28 AM

Don't Matrox do a triple headed card?
m
l
a b $ Windows 7
November 30, 2009 11:01:11 AM

They're both pushing £200GBP.

You do have a problem though insomuchas you only have 1xPCIe x16. Looks like it may have to be a 5750 or something.
m
l
November 30, 2009 1:14:10 PM

The_Prophecy said:
This is a function of the graphics driver, not Windows 7 itself. Intel chipsets with integrated video controllers only support a maximum of 2 monitors. You will either need multiple discrete graphics cards, or will need to find a specific model of video card that allows all 3 outputs to be used at once. AMD has such a card, but I am unable to recall the model number of that card right now.

--------------
Thanks for the reply... just a follow-up question. With the Intel G45/G43 Express Chipset on the board, I have connected 3 displays; DVI, VGA & the HDMI to DVI-display. I was thinking that the onboard drivers would let me use all 3, as they will let me connect and display each, just not all three as an extended desktop. When I look under device manager I see all three displays connected thru the Intel G45/G43 Express Chipset. ...from your response, there is no way to get these three to work together with this chipset? ...all 3 as an extended desktop.

I will check into the 3-headed graphics cards that you suggested.

m
l
a c 215 $ Windows 7
a b C Monitor
November 30, 2009 5:06:57 PM

GuruLite said:
--------------
Thanks for the reply... just a follow-up question. With the Intel G45/G43 Express Chipset on the board, I have connected 3 displays; DVI, VGA & the HDMI to DVI-display. I was thinking that the onboard drivers would let me use all 3, as they will let me connect and display each, just not all three as an extended desktop. When I look under device manager I see all three displays connected thru the Intel G45/G43 Express Chipset. ...from your response, there is no way to get these three to work together with this chipset? ...all 3 as an extended desktop.

I will check into the 3-headed graphics cards that you suggested.

Not as an extended desktop, no. Again, this is something the driver itself would have to allow, and Intel's IGP drivers do not.
m
l
December 7, 2009 4:22:12 AM

GuruLite here... Matrox has this TripleHead2Go box that allows 3 monitor off the DVI connection and still one off the VGA. So, after researching the cost of 3-headed video cards and this device, which can be readily moved from machine to machine, I'm going with the TripleHead2Go. The cost is ~$300, but it gets high marks from most users.

I'm trying to extend the desktop for stock/futures trading. For gamers, this may not be the optimal solution, though many seemed to be pleased with it.

Thanks to all.
m
l
Anonymous
a b $ Windows 7
a b C Monitor
December 10, 2009 4:40:53 PM

If you have an extra CPU in your LAN you may try a good software-solution provided by maxivista.com; aside the hardware connected monitor than you will be able to extend your desktop to 3 or more screens
good luck

PB from Holland
m
l
January 26, 2010 9:18:15 PM

GuruLite said:
GuruLite here... Matrox has this TripleHead2Go box that allows 3 monitor off the DVI connection and still one off the VGA. So, after researching the cost of 3-headed video cards and this device, which can be readily moved from machine to machine, I'm going with the TripleHead2Go. The cost is ~$300, but it gets high marks from most users.

I'm trying to extend the desktop for stock/futures trading. For gamers, this may not be the optimal solution, though many seemed to be pleased with it.

Thanks to all.

Hey GuruLite,

I see you were about to try a Matrox TripleHead2Go box. How has that worked out? I've finally decided that I'll be more productive with three screens rather than the 2 I've gotten by with the last several years. I just do 2D stuff, no gaming, if that makes much difference. I've found other Matrox products to be well-designed with good drivers, but I've never tried one of their 2Go boxes.

Thanks in advance for your reply,
Russel
Santa Fe, NM
m
l
June 4, 2011 9:19:04 PM

The_Prophecy said:
Intel chipsets with integrated video controllers only support a maximum of 2 monitors.

Is this still true on the H67 boards with an i5 SandyBridge 2500K CPU?

I want to use the setup for photo editing and I don't know if it would be better to get a discrete display card(s) anyway.
m
l
!