TinyXP or WinXp x64, which is better for gaming?

LordX

Distinguished
Aug 30, 2006
I have a question that has been bouncing around my head.

I use a dual boot system, and I use a WD Raptor for my gaming. I ONLY install video card and sound card drivers, then games. That’s IT.

I want the most amount of resources free for my games, so which should I go with? TinyXP, which boasts to boot windows XP using only around 40 MB of RAM and will still game! Or Windows X64 edition?

What would be my benefit of going with winxp X64 if I only game and have no 64 bit games? I will have a Core2Duo, so it is a 64 bit capable system. :p

G

well, if your system has over 4gb of ram.. you need a 64 bit version of windows to take full advantage of that memory..

otherwise, i recommend tinyxp, maybe even the 64 bit version ;D

number13

Distinguished
May 20, 2008
I have heard that XP 64 is not so good, but I am quick to point out that personally I don't know, 2 of my friends use Vista 64 for gaming and love it, but I hate Vista

dobby

Distinguished
May 24, 2006
Avoid x64-86bit XP, it is design for the niche workstation market where there was a need for a DESKTOP x64 operating system to take advantage of extra resources, however i would be surprised if you didn't have unsupported hardware somewhere.

Vista especially with SP1 is really actually quite good, i would install without a doubt. to add x64-86 vista is super fast on 4Gb of RAM.