fpdoc

Distinguished
Sep 10, 2006
Heya. I have a pair of 1GB Corsair XMS2 PC26400-C4 sticks.
When I check CPU-Z and Everest, both noted timings that are 5-5-5-18.
These sticks are also EPP.
I currently have a X24600+ and am upgrading to the 5600+. I'm also using a Gigabyte GA-M59SLI5 mobo. Why are the timings off from the listed spec of 4-4-4-12 CL4? Do I need to changed them manually? If I do, I shouldnt need to make voltage changes right? Does it make a big difference if I dont?
Mobo allows me to adjust timings fairly easily, Im just kinda of nervous about doing it cause of gigabyte's wierd scaling.
Any thoughts would be appreciated.

Rob

prong

Distinguished
Apr 1, 2007
Heya. I have a pair of 1GB Corsair XMS2 PC26400-C4 sticks.
When I check CPU-Z and Everest, both noted timings that are 5-5-5-18.
These sticks are also EPP.
I currently have a X24600+ and am upgrading to the 5600+. I'm also using a Gigabyte GA-M59SLI5 mobo. Why are the timings off from the listed spec of 4-4-4-12 CL4? Do I need to changed them manually? If I do, I shouldnt need to make voltage changes right? Does it make a big difference if I dont?
Mobo allows me to adjust timings fairly easily, Im just kinda of nervous about doing it cause of gigabyte's wierd scaling.
Any thoughts would be appreciated.

Rob

Why are the timings off from the listed spec of 4-4-4-12 CL4?

Corsair is guaranteeing the RAM will run at their listed spec. Your MB is defaulting to the higher CAS 5 settings. The timings can be adjusted manually.

Do I need to changed them manually?

Yes. You can set the timings manually if 5-5-5-15 is not what you want. Start out by setting the CAS LAT to 4 in BIOS and save and exit. If your system will not run at CA 4 the system will fail to boot. Resetting the CMOS jumper would then default the MB and allow the system to start up at BIOS defaults.

If I do, I shouldnt need to make voltage changes right? Does it make a big difference if I dont?

Setting the RAM voltage in BIOS to the mfg. specs would be my suggestion. Generally, CA 4 Latency RAM requires slightly more voltage than CAS 5 mfg. specs.

I would suggest setting the CAS LAT only to 4 in BIOS and see what you get. Then if the system boots up and runs stable adjust the timings to mfg. specs 4-4-4-12. Up the RAM voltage to mfg. specs and try the system out for stability. Generally speaking the first 3 settings 4-4-4 are the settings that make the major difference.

Mondoman

Splendid
... Why are the timings off from the listed spec of 4-4-4-12 CL4? Do I need to changed them manually? If I do, I shouldnt need to make voltage changes right?...
Unfortunately, much RAM is sold today according to manufacturer-sanctioned overclock specs. See this post: http://forumz.tomshardware.com/hardware/modules.php?name=Forums&file=viewtopic&p=1249881#1249881
To run at those settings, you will have to boost the DIMM voltage in the BIOS above the standard 1.8V to whatever the manufacturer used in their overclock spec.

fpdoc

Distinguished
Sep 10, 2006
Thanks. Acc'd to Everest, the default SSTL is 1.8V which is prob what the mobo is running to the DIMM's. So, I'd have to push it to 2.1 to get the 4-4-4-12 if the above doesnt work or there are instability issues?

prong

Distinguished
Apr 1, 2007
Thanks. Acc'd to Everest, the default SSTL is 1.8V which is prob what the mobo is running to the DIMM's. So, I'd have to push it to 2.1 to get the 4-4-4-12 if the above doesnt work or there are instability issues?

If the mfg. specs say 2.1 volts at 4-4-4-12 and the rest of your system is willing, yes set it there in BIOS. If you leave the RAM at 1.8 it may not be sufficient to run stabily should you tighten the timings to 4-4-4-12. The mfg. is saying 2.1 v. 4-4-4-12 is stable. Again, providing your system is up to the task. HTH.

prong

Distinguished
Apr 1, 2007
Should your system fail to boot with the changes you make in BIOS, you will have to reset the CMOS jumper and default the BIOS in order to boot the system up and back in to windows.

fpdoc

Distinguished
Sep 10, 2006
Thanks guys. I have a GA-M59 which is a sturdy board. They have pretty deep memory clocking options. I dont think i'll have a problem holding 2.1V. I'll start with mondoman's suggestion though and then bump the voltage and the rest of the settings.

TRENDING THREADS