Reinstalling windows after MB & CPU upgrade

zaphod66

Distinguished
Sep 7, 2006
I just bought a new MB and CPU to upgrade my rig. I currently have a Athlon XP 3000 with an Epox MB and am going to a socket 939 X2 4800 and a ASRock 939 Dual-VSTA MB.

So the question is: Is there any pointers or short-cuts when my system requires me to perform a re-installation of Windows XP? Is there a way to just update the drivers needed for my new MB and CPU or do I just have no choice but to do a reinstall of XP? What about the differences between repair and a full reinstallation. All suggestions will be appreciated.

Regards.

dmroeder

Distinguished
Jan 15, 2005
I just bought a new MB and CPU to upgrade my rig. I currently have a Athlon XP 3000 with an Epox MB and am going to a socket 939 X2 4800 and a ASRock 939 Dual-VSTA MB.

So the question is: Is there any pointers or short-cuts when my system requires me to perform a re-installation of Windows XP? Is there a way to just update the drivers needed for my new MB and CPU or do I just have no choice but to do a reinstall of XP? What about the differences between repair and a full reinstallation. All suggestions will be appreciated.

Regards.

If you have already assembled your new rig then you will have to reinstall windows (nothing wrong with that though).

If you haven't then there is a way to do it without reinstalling. I have an article on my home PC that shows how to do it. Unfortunately I am 2500 miles away form home. I have posted it here a few times though. If you search for posts by BruceMeyers... he was trying to do the same thing. You may even PM him and see his results with it.

dmroeder

Distinguished
Jan 15, 2005
Never mind, I am bored in a hotel right now, so I searched for it. I got his name wrong anyway (sorry Bruce), it's BruceMyers48.

Here is the thread.

The link is half a dozen posts down or so. If you are able to do this, let me know how it works out. I'm curious.

shinny_on

Distinguished
Sep 14, 2006
Listen, it's BETTER and SAFER to reinstall Windows (+drivers, etc) if you have a new hardware configuration. It's a big possibility that your hardware won't work at optimum efficiency if the operating systems and drivers were set-up for another configuration. Or it may not run at all. I guess it's only normal to be this way... And reinstalling Windows only takes one hour. This is my advice to you.