Sign in with
Your question

Are Maxtor drives always loud?

Last response: in Storage
April 12, 2007 3:29:51 PM

I have currently a Maxtor Ultra16 PATA (IDE) 250GB hard drive and it is as loud like a thunderstorm. Why is this so when the box on it clearly states "Whisper-quiet FDB motor" (more of "ultra-loud FDB motor w/chirpy loud operation")? :roll:

Does this happen to all IDE drives or is it just Maxtor's fault? I am planning to get a SATA hard drive in the near future because I had luckily placed a warranty on the Maxtor drive. I would like to select from these 2 major brands: Seagate/Western Digital. Which is most likely going to be more reliable and not loud? Any good recommendations is helpful...

More about : maxtor drives loud

April 12, 2007 4:02:15 PM

I had a 200GB Maxtor SATA drive and it was just as quiet(if not quieter) then my 7200.10

I loved my maxtor, it was very fast, and gave me no problems.
April 12, 2007 4:10:28 PM

thats funny.... I have always been using my 40gb Maxtor 7200rpm drive for my OS...

But just recently I installed Vista on a brand new Samsung SATAII drive and I was laying back watching some TV when all of a sudden.... VISTA powers down the 40GB Maxtor drive....

I always thought the sound my computer made was from 3 HDDs and 2 120MM intake fans... but no... all the sound my compuer produced..was that single maxtor drive lol

SOOOOOOOO

it is now laying in pieces on my floor next to a hammer lol

p.s.

In all fairness the third drive I was speaking of was another Maxtor 250GB Ultra ATA (133) and it is probably just as silent as the SATAII.
!