Sign in with
Your question

upgrading questions...

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
April 12, 2007 4:16:43 PM

I am looking to upgrade my computer. I use the computer for playing WOW and sometimes Madden. Mostly WOW and no Apps.

This is my current system:

CPU:
AMD Athlon 64 3500+
2200MHz
Socekt 939

MOBO:
ASUS A8V-E DELUXE ACPI
BIOS 512

Ram:
Synchronous
512MBx2

VideoCard:
Radeon x800

I am not ready to go for the full up[grade to New MOBO and Vista. I am thinking of making that move in like a year. At that point I would like to do a big upgrade in the 2,000-3,000 range. However I was trying to see if a CPU , Video Card, and /or RAM upgrade is worth the money.

Here are the upgrades I was thinking about:

Video:
HiS Radeon X1950 Pro ICEQ3

CPU:
AMD Athlon 64 X2 4400+ Dual Core Processor

I have 2 questions:

1. I am sure the Video Card is worth the upgrade, but do I need to upgrade CPU and is this the best CPU to upgrade too???
2. Should I consider going with Higher quality RAM or just upgrading to 2meg Generic RAM.

Again I Play World of Warcraft and am just trying to upgrade to something that is worth the cash for the next year..

More about : upgrading questions

April 12, 2007 4:24:12 PM

Is world of Warcraft the only game you play?

If so, upgrading for that game is a waste, your curretc system is more than powerful enough to handle it at high settings, isn't it?
April 12, 2007 4:33:30 PM

Yes WOW is really the only game I play. The other thing I was thinking to upgrade to a flat screen and just wait to upgrade entire computer. I am using the CRT monitor which is nice but wondering if plat screen is worth the upgrade. Space is not an issue with me..
Related resources
April 12, 2007 4:50:01 PM

If WoW's your only game, a nice big-ass monitor might well be the nicest thing you can do for yourself.

I mean, do you find your current rig isn't capable of running it at high settings? I suspect any stuttering you see would be unavoidable server lag - not due to a lack of hardware prowess...
April 12, 2007 4:55:40 PM

Yes I do see some lag from server, but I do think my video card struggles somtimes and I dont have the setting to high.. Would that CPU be able to run the Radeon X1950? Maybe I can go with monitor and new video card...lol I am liking the sound of a BIG monitor-
April 12, 2007 5:03:20 PM

Your CPU is a fine fit for an X1950 PRO, but the videocard is probably overkill for WoW.

Still, it'll provide you with some longevity, and it'll easily handle the high resolutions of a BIG monitor when playing WoW... :) 
April 12, 2007 5:11:36 PM

I say put your money toward a monitor first and if you system has issues a very high resolution, then upgrade the gpu.
April 12, 2007 5:36:19 PM

I cant say enough how helpful you this has been for me... Thanks for all the advice... I will start to look at Flat Screen Gaming Monitors now and put off the CPU Video upgrade for till i get my new screen.. :lol:  :lol:  :D  :D 
!