upgrading questions...

zaxxor

Distinguished
Apr 12, 2007
I am looking to upgrade my computer. I use the computer for playing WOW and sometimes Madden. Mostly WOW and no Apps.

This is my current system:

CPU:
AMD Athlon 64 3500+
2200MHz
Socekt 939

MOBO:
ASUS A8V-E DELUXE ACPI
BIOS 512

Ram:
Synchronous
512MBx2

VideoCard:
Radeon x800

I am not ready to go for the full up[grade to New MOBO and Vista. I am thinking of making that move in like a year. At that point I would like to do a big upgrade in the 2,000-3,000 range. However I was trying to see if a CPU , Video Card, and /or RAM upgrade is worth the money.

Here are the upgrades I was thinking about:

Video:
HiS Radeon X1950 Pro ICEQ3

CPU:
AMD Athlon 64 X2 4400+ Dual Core Processor

I have 2 questions:

1. I am sure the Video Card is worth the upgrade, but do I need to upgrade CPU and is this the best CPU to upgrade too???
2. Should I consider going with Higher quality RAM or just upgrading to 2meg Generic RAM.

Again I Play World of Warcraft and am just trying to upgrade to something that is worth the cash for the next year..

cleeve

Illustrious
Is world of Warcraft the only game you play?

If so, upgrading for that game is a waste, your curretc system is more than powerful enough to handle it at high settings, isn't it?

zaxxor

Distinguished
Apr 12, 2007
Yes WOW is really the only game I play. The other thing I was thinking to upgrade to a flat screen and just wait to upgrade entire computer. I am using the CRT monitor which is nice but wondering if plat screen is worth the upgrade. Space is not an issue with me..

cleeve

Illustrious
If WoW's your only game, a nice big-ass monitor might well be the nicest thing you can do for yourself.

I mean, do you find your current rig isn't capable of running it at high settings? I suspect any stuttering you see would be unavoidable server lag - not due to a lack of hardware prowess...

zaxxor

Distinguished
Apr 12, 2007
Yes I do see some lag from server, but I do think my video card struggles somtimes and I dont have the setting to high.. Would that CPU be able to run the Radeon X1950? Maybe I can go with monitor and new video card...lol I am liking the sound of a BIG monitor-

cleeve

Illustrious
Your CPU is a fine fit for an X1950 PRO, but the videocard is probably overkill for WoW.

Still, it'll provide you with some longevity, and it'll easily handle the high resolutions of a BIG monitor when playing WoW... :)

zaxxor

Distinguished
Apr 12, 2007
I cant say enough how helpful you this has been for me... Thanks for all the advice... I will start to look at Flat Screen Gaming Monitors now and put off the CPU Video upgrade for till i get my new screen.. :lol: :lol: :D :D