VOOM question

Last response: in Home Theatre
November 3, 2004 4:33:25 PM

VOOM has an interesting promotion. How good or bad is their service?
Thank you,
Seamus J. Wilson

More about : voom question

Anonymous
November 3, 2004 7:24:28 PM

Voom is an outstanding service that is a little overpriced...but not by much
considering the quality of the picture you receive. Be aware that to receive
local channels you will have to have an old-fashioned antenna on your roof
possibly attached to a rotor in order to receive a consistent signal,
depending on your location. I knew this going in and already had an antenna
on my roof for receiving Dishs' HD service (very limited and PQ is not that
good) so I was all set.

"Sligo" <sligo@cox.net> wrote in message
> VOOM has an interesting promotion. How good or bad is their service?
> Thank you,
> Seamus J. Wilson

Anonymous
November 3, 2004 7:24:29 PM

Thank you for the information. Will give it a try.
Best,
Seamus J.
"Kevin Thurman" <kevthurm@bellsouth.net> wrote in message
> Voom is an outstanding service that is a little overpriced...but not by
much
> considering the quality of the picture you receive. Be aware that to
receive
> local channels you will have to have an old-fashioned antenna on your roof
> possibly attached to a rotor in order to receive a consistent signal,
> depending on your location. I knew this going in and already had an
antenna
> on my roof for receiving Dishs' HD service (very limited and PQ is not
that
> good) so I was all set.
>
> "Sligo" <sligo@cox.net> wrote in message
> > VOOM has an interesting promotion. How good or bad is their service?
> > Thank you,
> > Seamus J. Wilson

Related resources
Can't find your answer ? Ask !
November 5, 2004 2:26:23 AM

"Sligo" <sligo@cox.net> wrote in message
> VOOM has an interesting promotion. How good or bad is their service?
> Thank you,
> Seamus J. Wilson

VOOM is AWESOME !!!

Duke
Anonymous
November 5, 2004 6:31:06 PM

Biggest problem with Voom :

NO PVR !!!!

I know there is one coming but who knows when.....

No pvr = no buy from me. Once you've had the ability to record HD there
is NO going back (HDTivo) I cannot imagine HD without this resource.
Cant wait for the HD DVD recorder so I can save shows in full HD.

On 2004-11-03 15:33:25 -0500, "Sligo" <sligo@cox.net> said:

> VOOM has an interesting promotion. How good or bad is their service?
> Thank you,
> Seamus J. Wilson
Anonymous
November 7, 2004 5:54:57 PM

I live in Chicago, near Midway, and have had Voom for about 4 months. I get
17 local channels off of the Voom supplied antenna (no CBS 2) and I have had
issues with the set top box, but they replaced the box within 4 days of my
calling it in. Installation took 1.5 hours total for 2 room setup and the
picture quality is outstanding. I think that for the money it was well
worth it, especially since I got in when it was still free installation and
a lower monthly price. I am not sure, when I was looking into Voom, they
were supposed to be broadcasting it from select Sears stores, so you may
want to go to one to see if they have it for viewing for yourself.

jason
"Sligo" <sligo@cox.net> wrote in message
> VOOM has an interesting promotion. How good or bad is their service?
> Thank you,
> Seamus J. Wilson

Anonymous
November 7, 2004 5:54:58 PM

I'd want to be cautious about "investing" in anything to do with VOOM. As
long as they furnish the STB or you lease it, that's fine. Market
speculation is that there's not enough business to support 3 satellite
providers. True, today VOOM has more HD than the competitors, but Voom is
already struggling to pay the bills and probably won't be around long once
DirecTV and/or Dish Network get their act together and start carrying more
HD. - and that is just about to happen.

In article <4Hqjd.378481$D%.289104@attbi_s51> "jason b"
<jbajic@reply_in_the_newsgroup.com> writes:

>I live in Chicago, near Midway, and have had Voom for about 4 months. I get
>17 local channels off of the Voom supplied antenna (no CBS 2) and I have had
>issues with the set top box, but they replaced the box within 4 days of my
>calling it in. Installation took 1.5 hours total for 2 room setup and the
>picture quality is outstanding. I think that for the money it was well
>worth it, especially since I got in when it was still free installation and
>a lower monthly price. I am not sure, when I was looking into Voom, they
>were supposed to be broadcasting it from select Sears stores, so you may
>want to go to one to see if they have it for viewing for yourself.
>
>jason
>"Sligo" <sligo@cox.net> wrote in message
>> VOOM has an interesting promotion. How good or bad is their service?
>> Thank you,
>> Seamus J. Wilson

November 8, 2004 12:34:30 AM

"Mr Fixit" <MrFixit@msn.com> wrote in message
> I'd want to be cautious about "investing" in anything to do with VOOM. As
> long as they furnish the STB or you lease it, that's fine. Market
> speculation is that there's not enough business to support 3 satellite
> providers. True, today VOOM has more HD than the competitors, but Voom is
> already struggling to pay the bills and probably won't be around long once
> DirecTV and/or Dish Network get their act together and start carrying more
> HD. - and that is just about to happen.

When VOOM first appeared on the market I gave them a call to see what they
offered. At the time I had cable, and the HD content was very thin to say
the least. VOOM wanted me to buy the box for 750.00, which I thought was
incredibly over-priced, so I said no thanks and went on my way. It's
interesting that you no longer have to buy the equipment from them, and it
indicates to me that the senior management was extremely optimistic or
extremely out of touch. I like the content they carry, except for the local
channels, which anyone who reads the fine print will notice require an off
the air antenna to receive. I can get that without paying anyone anything.
I think the most important point that was made in the above post is that
very soon, DirecTv and Dish will be expanding their HD content, hopefully
significantly. When this happens I think VOOM will be in a world of hurt.
Anonymous
November 8, 2004 12:34:31 AM

DirecTV has already said they intend to launch HD LOCAL channels in 2
years with the Spaceway satellites......two Spaceway birds in 2006,but
they will most likely be Ka-Band and will require different or
adjunctive add-on receivers.They plan on approx. 1000 local
channels,initially.
Anonymous
November 9, 2004 5:25:15 AM

For the record.....Voom supplied me with the off the air antenna included
with the free installation offer I recieved.

!