Sign in with
Your question

Motherboard GPU and USB Problems at Boot (ASRock 775i65GV)

Tags:
  • Motherboards
  • Keyboards
  • ASrock
  • USB
Last response: in Motherboards
April 12, 2007 5:11:11 PM

KEY:
MB: ASRock 775i65GV (the conroe version)
CPU: Pentium 4 3.06G
GPU: ATI Radeon X700 PRO 256m (AGP)

So I installed (my first time) a MB and CPU into my existing case. Everything starts up (Fan and HDD) but if I have my X700 PRO plugged into the AGI (or AGP) slot I get no video whatsoever, and no beeps, but fans and hdd starts. If I plug the analog monitor into the onboard video then I get video.

Then if I plug in my USB connected Mouse and Keyboard at startup, I get no Keyboard or Mouse controls. Instead I have to use my PS2 Keyboard and then plug my USB mouse in after boot is complete (in windows). If I try to add my USB Keyboard I get nothing at all.

Any thoughts? For the video I thought I updated the right portion in the BIOS, changing something from PCI/AGP to AGP/PCI. But nothing happens when the X700 PRO is plugged into the Motherboard. For the USB connections, I'm really stumped. I verified the BIOS shows USB as enabled, but I'm not sure why I have to wait until the computer is booted to connect the mouse, and why the keyboard won't work at all.

Any help is appreciated.

Mado

More about : motherboard gpu usb problems boot asrock 775i65gv

April 12, 2007 9:27:53 PM

Have you tried the video card in another computer and another video card in the one in question? This will at least tell you if video card and AGP slot are good. As for the USB ports I'd uninstall all the USB drivers and let Windows install when you reboot. It's always possible the board is bad so I wouldn't spend a lot time on it if it's new and you can RMA it You know it's a lot of time when your ready to grab a hammer. :D 
April 13, 2007 6:15:26 PM

Thanks for the advice. I ended up returning the MOBO. My point in getting it was to keep using my GPU. However it seems it's incompatible with that MB.

So i went with a Intel DG965RYCK and C2D CPU. Now I have a whole new set of problems - related to installing WinXP (reinstalling over older copy of Winxp Pro - Due to windows not booting). I keeps seeing reboots after trying to install and I'm confused.

Oh well, thanks again for the response.

Mado
Related resources
April 13, 2007 8:09:37 PM

If the version of XP Pro was installed in a computer with a different mobo, you should really do a clean install. You are always much better off doing a clean install with a new mobo.
April 25, 2007 7:31:01 PM

Thanks for the info. I did a "clean" install with a new copy of XP. I picked up a new HDD to round off my purchases. I'm now researching Cases and PSU's that work in them.

Mado
April 25, 2007 8:29:05 PM

Quote:
Thanks for the info. I did a "clean" install with a new copy of XP. I picked up a new HDD to round off my purchases. I'm now researching Cases and PSU's that work in them.

Mado

I have couple of Antec Sonata II cases. Very easy to work with, quiet, and the PSU works well, 450w. Even if you decide you want a more powerful PSU later, it never hurts to have an extra one. I did take the extra exhaust plumbing out of it with no heat problems but that's an individual choice.
!