The best graphics card my system won't bottle neck.

Snickston

Distinguished
Apr 12, 2007
I've been going through a fiasco trying to find the perfect AGP graphics card for my system. As I do alot of gaming and watch DvDs. I realize after reading many articles and posts that by buying top of the line i may not get to use the cards full potential. One card I fell in love with was the Gainward 7800GS+ AGP w/512mb. I can buy this card for about $260. I feel it may not be able to reach it full potential on my setup. I should be investing in a newer system but, I have upgraded this unit to just about its full potential. All I need is a nice graphics card and probably a new power supply. Point blank... I want the best card that my system can use at its full potential.
I would appreciate any opinions & answers you can give me.

Thank You.

MY SETUP:
CPU: Pentium 4, socket 478, 2.4GHz,512K L2 Cache,400FSB(SL68T)
AVC Hydralic heatsink/fan

MotherBoard: ASUS P4B266-LA "Danube" OEM
Chipset Name: Intel 845 (Brookdale)
-North Bridge: I845 MCH (B0-Stepping)
-South Bridge: ICH2 (C0-Stepping)
FSB: 400 MHz
Socket: mPGA478
Memory: 2GB DDR PC2100 (2 x 1gb)
Graphics Connector: AGP 4x
I didn't have any specs on my power supply but I know it only pushes 200 watts.

Trizomik

Distinguished
Jan 11, 2007
This could be me... but out of many test that I've seen, I believe ATi is using less the CPU/System than Nvidia chips.

my 2 cents.

cleeve

Illustrious
An X1650 XT or 7600 GT is a good fit with that system.

Even an X1950 PRO would show some gains with that CPU in advanced titles, but it'd be limited by the platform in just as many.

Used, an X800 XL would be a good fit, too, and dirt cheap.

Snickston

Distinguished
Apr 12, 2007
Quick reply... Ive been lookin at cards out of my league. The games I wish to play are Age Of Empire 3, World of Warcraft & Command and Conquer 3. I wander if the 800XL would be sufficient to run these games in the Highest settings possible?

cleeve

Illustrious
An X800 XL can handle WoW with ease. Command & Conquer and AOE3 might be a bit harder on it, but an X800 XL won't hold it back any more than your 2.4 Ghz P4 will, I reckon.

james_8970

Distinguished
Feb 27, 2007
Your probably going to need a new power supply, with a 1650 pro or 7600, a P4 on a 200w powersupply you looking for a disaster.
Also that 300w PSU is down right awful, having a 60mm fan it'll probably be very loud not to mention that you won't be running SLI or xfire on that thing so whats the use of having two rails. On of which has only 8A.

Your probably going to need to buy a PSU, I'd recommend buying a 600w+ one so that it'll serve you well when you do upgrade.
James

Snickston

Distinguished
Apr 12, 2007
Im not very knowledgeable at all when it comes to power supplys...
Im getting the vibe that I should use a single rail power supply with over 400w @ 12A or over....

Any other suggestions to a good quality power supply that won't put me in the hole on cash?

pauldh

Illustrious
An X800 XL can handle WoW with ease. Command & Conquer and AOE3 might be a bit harder on it, but an X800 XL won't hold it back any more than your 2.4 Ghz P4 will, I reckon.
Yeah I totally agree with that. X1650XT or 7600GT max. The CPU is barely above minimum spec (2.0GHz) for C&C 3, and minimum spec GPU is a R8500 or GF4Ti. Matter of fact, some review sites have stated recomended system is a Dual core CPU with a 7600GT or X1650XT so these cards surely won't be the bottleneck in his case. Even the 7600GS would be good if priced right.

He has a 200w PSU. I dont think an X800 will like that.

X800XL sips power compared to other 800s, rememebr it's 110nm, doesn't need an extra power cable for PCIe (I know it will for this AGP, but just an idea of power load) and able to be cooled with passive cooling even. It should be a fine fit like Cleeve says, the max I'd go for in the X800 realm, and likely similar to the GF7600GT in power needs, and less than the X1650XT.

Im not very knowledgeable at all when it comes to power supplys...
Im getting the vibe that I should use a single rail power supply with over 400w @ 12A or over....

Any other suggestions to a good quality power supply that won't put me in the hole on cash?

I assumed you have an HP Pavilion w/ a 200w mATX power supply so it will be difficult to get a 400w replacement. I mentioned a good dual-rail 300w unit in my previous post, it is probably the best you can do and will trump other brand (like Athena) that claims 400w and 450w in mATX sizes.

good luck