Which PCIe cables to use?

COLLINS311

Distinguished
Feb 27, 2007
I have a thermaltake 850W power supply and an 8800 GTX. My question is do I use the modular PCIe cables or the non modular PCIe calbes that are attached permanently with the 24 Pin ATX connector. The PSU documentation wasn't very clear on this. I'm not sure if the modular ones have the dedicated rail or not or vice versa with the non modular ones. Sorry if this is a stupid question.

Thanks

tool_462

Distinguished
Jun 19, 2006
Use the already supplied ones, they will be on their own rail also. The modular are just if you choose to go SLI 8800 cards or need 4 plugs at some point.

Not a stupid question either... :p

COLLINS311

Distinguished
Feb 27, 2007
Thanks for the reply Tool. Those are the ones I was using, and everythign has been working fine. I just didn't want to damage anything and don't really know enough about PSU's to know for sure. My decision to not use the modular ones was based on not wanting to have two extra cables in my case when I didn't need them.

Thanks again!

COLLINS311

Distinguished
Feb 27, 2007
true. I'm an idiot, i should use common sense and stop being so paranoid. I just dropped alot of dough and i'm being a girl.

thanks again!

COLLINS311

Distinguished
Feb 27, 2007
true. Thats my "yeah i got everything lets get it together ASAP" side though. Slowly as time goes on I keep thinking of little details...that I might have wanted to think abuot before. I'm not an avid builder so I don't really do this everyday. As opposed to someone, like yourself, who actually constructs their own case(if i'm reading your sig right)....that just seems impossible to me. Especially after drilling holes in mine(pain!)