MythTV experiences

dmroeder

Distinguished
Jan 15, 2005
I'm considering setting up a rig to run MythTV and was wondering if anyone has successfully done it around here?

I have an Athlon XP 3000 and am currently running Suse 10.1 with 1gig of ram. I have not decided on a video capture card yet but I found a link that shows all the confirmed working cards. I was going to do a bit of research on them.

I guess I was wondering if anyone has done it? Is it too difficult for a Linux beginner? I guess I'm just interested in learning if anything.

If anyone has any experiences with MythTV they would want to share, I wouldn't mind hearing them.

linux_0

Splendid
I'm considering setting up a rig to run MythTV and was wondering if anyone has successfully done it around here?

I have an Athlon XP 3000 and am currently running Suse 10.1 with 1gig of ram. I have not decided on a video capture card yet but I found a link that shows all the confirmed working cards. I was going to do a bit of research on them.

I guess I was wondering if anyone has done it? Is it too difficult for a Linux beginner? I guess I'm just interested in learning if anything.

If anyone has any experiences with MythTV they would want to share, I wouldn't mind hearing them.

Any bt848/bt878 based card should work fine.

I have a few Hauppauge winTV PCI cards I picked up dirt cheap and they work reasonably well for the price.

You can find them for about $15-20 each on ebay.

Of course if you want something really nice I would advise you to upgrade to some of the higher-end Hauppauge cards or maybe a card from http://www.pchdtv.com/hd_3000.html if you're interested in HD.

GL :-D

dmroeder

Distinguished
Jan 15, 2005
Thanks Linux_0,

I saw this card from pcHDTV. What's the deal with it. I heard that 3000 was discontinued and the 5500 is cheaper.

Also, is Suse a good distro to run MythTV on? I haven't really read much about anyone using Suse for this.

bmouring

Distinguished
May 6, 2006
I've setup MythTV on my old box (an Athlon XP 1700 and a brooktree-based generic capture card). If you are fairly uninitiated in the world of Linux be prepared to do a decent ammount of Googling as you are likely to happen upon at least a problem or two.

With a little (and I do mean not that much) perserverence and some strong google-fu you'll not only have a nice, unencumbered DVR+Weather Station+MP3 player+DVD Player+...., you'll also have learned a good number of things about Linux in the process.

That being said, checking to make sure your hardware (all of it that you care to use) is supported is the biggest part of the battle. Checking that, you'll be at least 5 steps ahead of the game.

dmroeder

Distinguished
Jan 15, 2005
Google-fu.... classic!

I'm not afraid to spend some time with Google. .In fact I already have quite a bit. That's a lot of the fun of Linux. Hardware was my biggest concern, but I've found quite a bit on hardware for it.