sunexplodes

Distinguished
Sep 24, 2006
System specs:

Celeron 2.4 GhZ
Geforce FX5500 256MB
1 Gig of ram.

I just reformatted my hard drive this weekend, and re-installed Windows XP Home.
There were no serious problems before formatting, other than the fact that things
were kind of slow due to how much crap had built up.

SO I formatted to an NTFS filesystem, and installed WIndows. I've since updated all
my drivers, and installed 2 or 3 applications (Firefox, Winrar, Winamp, not much
else).

So now, the computer, without warning, reboots. So far it seems to happen when installing
programs, but not EVERY TIME I install a program. Today it happened when I was trying
to download a 40MB file. Earlier it happened when trying to view a YouTube video.
Windows doesn't shut down/logoff, it's instant. System doesn't go through scandisk
or mention any error when it boots back up.

Thanks in advance for any help you can provide.

dmroeder

Distinguished
Jan 15, 2005
Things that come to mind are heat, failing/undersized power supply, bad stick of RAM. You can check the RAM with MemTest86.

If you have not added something to your rig, but only formatted it, then I would suspect failing power supply as far as that goes. I've had a crappy power supply eat my lunch for a while before I figured it out.

Good luck and post your back what you find.

sunexplodes

Distinguished
Sep 24, 2006
Okay, I figured out the reboot problem.

My computer's rebooting because of a problem with Macromedia Flash files. The crashes during installs and downloads were just co-incidences, as i must have been on a website with flash files at the time.

Now, the problem is that I can't find a solution to this problem anywhere. The only reference to it that I've found is in a forum post here:

http://forums.techguy.org/all-other-software/501410-solved-flash-sites-cause-instant.html

and the solution that worked for THAT GUY doesn't seem to work for me.

Any tips?

jcsamp

Distinguished
May 8, 2006
I have been having the same problem. My issue started just after I purchased my new 7600GT. I really noticed it after I installed the beta of AIM Triton. I thought it was instability from the beta version, but I think now it was because of the Flash-based ads in AIM. I uninstalled that, but it continued to happen. I was noticing it mostly as random freezes, not reboots. I thought there was a problem with my motherboard (MSI RS480M2-IL) since I got it from the Returned items bin at the store (they probmised me it was OK, and it was about $30 less than a new one). I thought it also might be an issue with the ATI and nVidia drivers messing with each other. I replaced the MB and HDD, reinstalled Windows, and now instead of random freezes, I get random reboots whenever I view a page with Flash.

I have noticed that one common issue with people who have this problem is that the majority seem to have nVidia cards. I wonder if there is a problem with Flash and nVidia drivers. Thanks for the link, though. I will give that a try when I get back to my computer.

My Specs:
Athlon 64 3000+ (Winchester)
ASRock 939Dual-SATA2
Patriot PDC1G3200LLK
EVGA 7600GT CO
Antec SmartPower 2.0 500W PSU

UPDATE:
I tried the method suggested in that link, and it seems to have worked, at least half way. I am now able to go to websites that contain flash without rebooting, because I no longer have any traces of Flash Player on my computer. However, reinstalling Flash Player causes the reboot thing to happen again. I am just going to leave Flash off my system until I can find more information about this issue.