Could I put Hard Drive in From my HP into Barebones System?

jamesrwright

Distinguished
Mar 11, 2007
Could the hard drive from my HP Pavillion into a bare bones core duo system?
My current has Windows Xp and all of my documents on it
Can I do that? Or won't it work?

Jim

kamel5547

Distinguished
Jan 4, 2006

Jim

99.9% chance it doen't boot.

You can sue the HDD but your windows installation is unlikely to work. You can always try....

Noya

Distinguished
Jan 8, 2006
You'll have to do a clean install of XP with a new license.

I gutted my P4 Compaq for a AMD Opteron/motherboard, and it wouldn't boot. Clean install and it was fine.

rammedstein

Distinguished
Jun 5, 2006
yes, but you would need ot run a windows xp repair install and then put in a new windows xp key when the computer starts up for the first time, for this key you can use anything, a retail key an oem or an upgrade, all will work for this activation. you do not need to do a clean install, i do this everyday, it is my job, lol, also, if your smart you could activate over the phone with your old key and get put on to a person and say "hi this is mr x from blah blah computer shop, i have just replaced the motherboard in this machine and i need this copy of windows to be activated, then say oit has not been used on any other machine ect ect ect" and they will give you a new key :p, works a charm.

angry_ducky

Distinguished
Mar 3, 2006
I just "found" the academic version of XP..so now I have a non-oem copy. I should be ok. Core duo here we come

Yeah; back up your files, and when the new parts arrive, format the HDD and reinstall Windows. It should work fine; it worked for me.

lordaardvark2

Distinguished
Nov 15, 2005
yup hdds don't really like being transplanted... they have separation anxiety from their old computers, and generally don't get along with new components and drivers and such. however, as previously mentioned, wiping it will make it essentially a brand new hdd and you should be good.

just don't forget to back up what you need [/bad experiences]

rammedstein

Distinguished
Jun 5, 2006
a repair install is designewd for this kind of thing, lol, what it does is it goes through and basically re-installs all the subsystems and everythign according to its surrounds, you do not need to re-install windows again, there is no need for it, it just creates excess hassel and amongst other things you don't need to back up because it doesnt remove ANY of YOUR data.

lordaardvark2

Distinguished
Nov 15, 2005
yeah, i actually missed your post earlier; i tried to do this one time, only i had sp2 installed and i only had a sp1 disk, so when i repaired it, my windows went REALLY wonky... that was my fault tho for being dumb, i guess. idk. it was quite weird. well, regardless, chances are the hdd WON'T work without tweaking, whether or not you wipe is up to you. rammedstein does seem to know what he's talking about, i think i'll take his advice for my next build.

the_vorlon

Distinguished
May 3, 2006

Jim

You "May" be able to do a Hard Drive transplant and have it work

Firstly, if yout have XP Pro, do a system backup, including the ASR floppy and store it on an external harddrive if you have one.

If your HP pavilion is an AMD based machine, you're dead, it ain't gonna work.

If your current machine is an Intel based machine..... maybe.

If the chipset versions are ~~fairly~~ close it will usually actually work.

I "assume" your conroe motherboard is probably a 965 chipset?

If it is if your old HP is either an 865 or 875 chipset there is a decent chance it will work.

Tell me the chipset of your old machine and I can pretty much tell you if it will work or not.