Sign in with
Your question

least resource/bandwith & latency hogging AV software?

Last response: in Windows XP
September 26, 2006 1:24:18 AM

Ok, so I've been using AVG free for a while and I guess it does it's job, but for whatever reason I get horrible internet speeds (it jumps up and down from DSL 384 k/sec upload, to crappy dial-up), and "red" pings in online games like World of Warcraft. I noticed when I disable the auto protect feature that my internet speed and game latency both jump to lightning fast speeds..

Now, I realize that it's not a solution to the problem as I NEED an AV software. What's a good one out there that doesn't jack with resources/internet speed for a relatively low ($40 tops) price?

thanks all.
September 26, 2006 2:02:45 PM

Are you certain that it's your AV that's causing it?

I've been using the free version of Avast and I haven't noticed anything like that.
September 26, 2006 5:45:48 PM

you know, I'm actually now realizing it probably isn't my AV. I think I'm just doomed with crappy DSL in an old house. I still lag out of games and surfing halts to a stop on occassion. I suppose I'll figure this out thru my ISP.
September 27, 2006 1:16:54 AM

Damn you DSL!

I've never heard of an AntiVirus causing connection speeds to slow, but that doesn't mean that it can't or hasn't happened

I used to have the slowest DSL that Qwest offered and it was pretty crappy for games.
September 27, 2006 5:01:57 AM

exactly..

I'm coming from a Cable internet connection to this. I wouldn't mind a less than stellar connection speed, but this is ridiculous how it jumps all over the place.
September 28, 2006 5:00:40 AM

You don't see the word stellar used much these days.....

what a shame.

I used to have DSL too. It's amazing how it's quite a bit faster than dial up yet it will still piss you off. I'd have a hard time without cable. It's freaking expensive though (at least around WA).
September 29, 2006 6:13:51 AM

Depends on where you are, I suppose. I have barely any issues at all with my DSL... it's fast most of the time and there's rarely any downtime.
September 29, 2006 1:10:38 PM

Yeah you're right. I think it has something to do with the old telephone wiring in my house.
!