least resource/bandwith & latency hogging AV software?

xcryonicx

Distinguished
May 31, 2006
Ok, so I've been using AVG free for a while and I guess it does it's job, but for whatever reason I get horrible internet speeds (it jumps up and down from DSL 384 k/sec upload, to crappy dial-up), and "red" pings in online games like World of Warcraft. I noticed when I disable the auto protect feature that my internet speed and game latency both jump to lightning fast speeds..

Now, I realize that it's not a solution to the problem as I NEED an AV software. What's a good one out there that doesn't jack with resources/internet speed for a relatively low ($40 tops) price?

thanks all.

xcryonicx

Distinguished
May 31, 2006
you know, I'm actually now realizing it probably isn't my AV. I think I'm just doomed with crappy DSL in an old house. I still lag out of games and surfing halts to a stop on occassion. I suppose I'll figure this out thru my ISP.

dmroeder

Distinguished
Jan 15, 2005
Damn you DSL!

I've never heard of an AntiVirus causing connection speeds to slow, but that doesn't mean that it can't or hasn't happened

I used to have the slowest DSL that Qwest offered and it was pretty crappy for games.

xcryonicx

Distinguished
May 31, 2006
exactly..

I'm coming from a Cable internet connection to this. I wouldn't mind a less than stellar connection speed, but this is ridiculous how it jumps all over the place.

dmroeder

Distinguished
Jan 15, 2005
You don't see the word stellar used much these days.....

what a shame.

I used to have DSL too. It's amazing how it's quite a bit faster than dial up yet it will still piss you off. I'd have a hard time without cable. It's freaking expensive though (at least around WA).