uninstalling and re-installing fraps

casemods

Distinguished
Sep 1, 2006
I had the trial and I want to install the full, it's installed and it won't run.

ANy ideas? I have heard there is a special way you need to uninstall but idk :?

CHEEZball

Distinguished
Jan 24, 2006
It's a tricky one. Some people have luck by uninstalling the demo (uninstall the full version too just in case) then using a registry cleaner. For other's, that doesn't work... try the reg cleaner way first, then try following these steps (USE AT YOUR OWN RISK, I hate messing with the registry, but you never know!)

1: uninstall fraps retail and/or demo

2: delete the files in your temp folder (eg: C:\Documents and Settings\yourname\local settings\temp)

3: delete the file frapsvid.dll located in your windows\system32

4: Open up regedit, do a search for {06D25F1D-4E4A-614E-267F-6AE746520B43} (ctrl + F)

5: Once you have found your folder, press on the + beside it, that should bring up its subdirs. delete all subdirs except for "InprocServer32"

6: move on to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Licenses, delete it.

7: now locate HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\RFC1156Agent \Currentversion\parameters and delete the "parameters" directory

8: after deleting "parameters" dir, goto HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Cryptography \RNG and deleete "RNG" dir also.

9: lastly, close regedit and reboot your pc

Hope this helps!

Smurfboy

Distinguished
Oct 8, 2006
Hi there people.

I have been busting my balls over this bloody problem and I've finally cracked the sod.

I have installed FRAPS 2.7.4 and It is now working. Even after shutting it down and loading it, Its still loading.

This Is what I done:-

1) Uninstall the demo or the retail versions of fraps.
2) Close any application that YOU (not necessarily your computer) might be running.
3) Open Regedit.
4) Press Ctrl+F to bring up the searching tool and ask it to search for “nZgFQGQhfU” exclude the quotation marks. The reason why we need to perform a search trough the whole registry is because this value gets installed into different paths depending on the computer it is running on. But I’m pretty sure it’s name remains always the same.
5) When it finds that value, delete it. DO NOT delete the Key/Folder that contains this value.
6) Now delete “HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Licenses".
7) Close Regedit.
8) Now click Start/Run: CMD (Open the DOS command prompt) And type del /s /q *.tmp
9) Exit the DOS prompt once it has finished doing the instruction described above.
10) Install the retail version of fraps (make sure you are not installing the demo)

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

1: uninstall fraps retail and/or demo
2:delete the files in your temp folder (eg: C:\Documents and Settings\yourname\local settings\temp)
3:delete the file frapsvid.dll located in your windows\system32
4:Open up regedit, do a search for {06D25F1D-4E4A-614E-267F-6AE746520B43} (ctrl + F)
5:Once you have found your folder, press on the + beside it, that should bring up its subdirs. delete all subdirs except for "InprocServer32"
6:move on to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Licenses, delete it.
7:now locate HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\RFC1156Agent \Currentversion\parameters and delete the "parameters" directory
8:after deleting "parameters" dir, goto HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Cryptography \RNG and delete "RNG" dir also.
9:lastly, close regedit and reboot your pc

now try to install fraps, if all goes well then fraps should boot up.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

1. Uninstall fraps.
2. Run regedit and search for (ctrl+f) and delete "nZgFQGQhfU." (if it exists)
3. While in regedit, delete HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE/SOFTWARE/Licenses.
4. delete HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE/SOFTWARE/Fraps (if it exists).
5. delete HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE/SOFTWARE/Fraps2 (if it exists).
6. search the registry for "fraps" and delete anything that looks like it has to do with fraps
7. Jump to your C:\Documents and Settings\*username*\Local Settings\Temp folder and delete
EVERYTHING that it will let you delete.
8. Delete C:\Fraps (or wherever you installed fraps, in my case, C:\Program Files\Fraps) (if it exists)
9. Search for "fraps" in your computer, and delete everything it pops up (unless you recognize something as not part of the program)

Just start with the first method. I only done the 1st and second method.

After you have done that DOWNLOAD THIS FILE
Its Called TRIAL-RESET
http://rapidshare.de/files/19328015/1999trzt.rar

The file Is clean, If its not there or the link is broken Email me and ill send it to you.

Also I found I get an error trying to run Trial Reset, the error was something about MSCOMCTL.OCX is missing. NO PROBLEM

Just download this http://www.ascentive.com/support/new/libraryfiles.exe

Heres the website its on http://www.ascentive.com/support/new/support_dll.phtml?dllname=MSCOMCTL.OCX

Install it and then run Trial-Reset.

Look for PROTECTORS at the top of Trial Reset, (Its next to File, edit, Options)

Fraps uses the ARMADILO Protector so look for that in the list, ( Its the 3rd one down ) select SCAN

A list of reg entries will be displayed, right click on each one and select CLEAR key. DO THEM ALL. Close TRIAL-RESET.

Now I think Fraps was already installed while I was doing this. So TBH It dont matter If its installed or its not while you are doing this.

Hope this helps but I swear Ive got it running and IM BLOODY GLAD :)

8) :lol:

ulair

Distinguished
Oct 22, 2006
smurfboy, could you tell how you got the idea of all this? I mean how could you find out that the entry nZgFQGQhfU belongs to fraps e.g. ?
Im asking this because it didnt work with me and maybe the entry has another name.
Also the entry {06D25F1D-4E4A-614E-267F-6AE746520B43} wasnt there. :cry:

Ionic

Distinguished
Nov 1, 2006
I'm stuck too and this problem seems to be quite common, still no real and solid explanation or solution.

I've tried all the posted solutions with no go still, all went to hell when i had to upgrade the Fraps client when i upgraded to XP X64, also the registry entries are totally different in x64.
The problem however isn't OS related anyway so where the registry entries are is doesn't matter.
So i went from the old client which actually started up on x64 but didn't record anything, installed new version (demo) and it worked and still does if i install it but now no retail version starts up, not even the old one.

While searching on google for it i found posts that were 1-2 years old with this problem, so i guess someone must have a real solution for it :)

Tried the trial-reset and cleared anything with Armadilo but Fraps won't start and the Armadilo entries pops up again after starting fraps.
Any ideas?

PowerPAC

Distinguished
Apr 11, 2007
It worked on me ... atm i got fraps 2.8.2 running fine on my pc

what i did:

1. remove old verion of fraps / trial
2. restarted pc
3. start regedit and search for nZgFQGQhfU (if u got it) and delete its CONTENT (not the main folder)
4. delete folder “HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Licenses" (note i dont have anything licenced installed so u might have to search for the right key if u have licenced products installed in your pc)
5. search register for "fraps" and "fps1" and delete every result u get
6. delete "HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\RFC1156Agent \Currentversion\parameters" the parameters folder
7. delete "HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Cryptography\RNG" the rng folder
8. delete all files u can from "C:\Documents and Settings\yourname\local settings\temp"
9. delete frapsvid.dll located in "c:\windows\system32" folder
8. dowload and install MSCOMCTL.OCX file and Trial-Reset (if links dont work use google)
9. run Trial-Reset and search for "protectors" menu, select armadillo and select scan
10. right-click every search result and select clear

11a. If u got no problems deleting the search results just install ur FULL verion of fraps and enjoy

11b. if u get acces denied on any of the armadillo registery keys when tried to clear, go to regedit again and search for the key in question (u can see the root/location in the Trial-Reset search results)
12. right-click the key in question and select "rights" (7th option) and check the boxes: "full rights, read and special rights" click ok
13. now u can delete the whole key in question
14. Re-scan with Trial-Reset and if u get no results from armadillo install ur FULL verion of fraps and enjoy

ps. im foreign so there might be some speling mistakes ^^ but i hope this helps u alot

pps. the two files i have linked here might be infected by viruses by now so be sure to scan em just to make sure and if they are just use google as i sugest in part (8)

hank_vilmes

Distinguished
Apr 14, 2007
I've always had a full version of fraps so I haven't ever had to go through this stuff, but I've been trying to help my friend get the trial version off his comp and I was wondering if you could clarify what you mean by:

delete all files u can from "C:\Documents and Settings\yourname\local settings\temp"

I have been able to follow every step besides this one and it won't let a full version install yet which leads me to believe there is something important about doing this. I'm just a bit confused by it right now though, because I can't find any folder or file clearly labeled "fraps" so if you could let me know what to look for I'd greatly appreciate it.

PowerPAC

Distinguished
Apr 11, 2007
basicly erasing all temp files u have stored on ur useraccount for example my directory that i'd need to remove would be "C:\Documents and Settings\MooN\Local Settings\Temp\" and delete all files inside it..... but still if this didnt clearify anything try this .... ctrl+alt+del... turn off all programs and processes u dont need open (turn explorer.exe down also) now u should see blank screen with the taskmanager only open.... select "file" -> "run" and type in this "CMD" and dos prompt opens up.... type in this "del /s /q *.tmp" (without quotes) and close dos prompt... then just open "run" again and type "c:" and explorer starts again

if u have no idea wahht im saying just ignore it and try to erase the temp folders content anyway possible

hank_vilmes

Distinguished
Apr 14, 2007
Thanks!! the way of removing stuff with command promp really cleared things up for me, and I also wasn't aware you could delete the contents of your temp folder.. I was under the impression that that would screw things up. I thank you again for your wisdom, as does my friend who can now record videos longer than 30 seconds!!

PowerPAC

Distinguished
Apr 11, 2007
and id like to give my credits to smurfboy who got me trough this... my post was actually just shortened version of his log and multi part post made more step by step kinda thingy ^^ so cheers smurf

blade85

Distinguished
Sep 19, 2006

what i did:

2. restarted pc
3. start regedit and search for nZgFQGQhfU (if u got it) and delete its CONTENT (not the main folder)
4. delete folder “HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Licenses" (note i dont have anything licenced installed so u might have to search for the right key if u have licenced products installed in your pc)
6. delete "HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\RFC1156Agent \Currentversion\parameters" the parameters folder
7. delete "HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Cryptography\RNG" the rng folder
8. delete all files u can from "C:\Documents and Settings\yourname\local settings\temp"
8. dowload and install MSCOMCTL.OCX file and Trial-Reset (if links dont work use google)
9. run Trial-Reset and search for "protectors" menu, select armadillo and select scan

11a. If u got no problems deleting the search results just install ur FULL verion of fraps and enjoy

11b. if u get acces denied on any of the armadillo registery keys when tried to clear, go to regedit again and search for the key in question (u can see the root/location in the Trial-Reset search results)
12. right-click the key in question and select "rights" (7th option) and check the boxes: "full rights, read and special rights" click ok
14. Re-scan with Trial-Reset and if u get no results from armadillo install ur FULL verion of fraps and enjoy

ps. im foreign so there might be some speling mistakes ^^ but i hope this helps u alot

finally something worked ^^

thanx for that

DarKMesSiaH

Distinguished
May 7, 2007

what i did:

2. restarted pc

especially the last 4 parts of this had been very helpful for me i've been searching my balls sore for this prob (and i found out that i'm lucky yet
because i could reach back on so many helpful threads and ofc this thread here)
i tip my hat in deep respect for the work of smurfboy and PowerPAC
who got me through this crap
thx guys you're the shiat :D

Yggdrasill

Distinguished
May 8, 2007
I also have the free trial of fraps and for some reason you know how you can set whatever key you want to record or take pics? I've been trying to use my F3 key and it use to work but for some reason it wont let me use any of the F key's anymore but F1 and i need that for the game i play online.

Anyone have any ideas?

gian0010

Distinguished
May 18, 2007
i've tried to download the trial reset... but after i downloaded it.. i scaned it and there'sa virus on it.. "trojan" can any1 give me a clean file????? pls...;p

PowerPAC

Distinguished
Apr 11, 2007
Nice to see that the guide i made helped ya out.... i was strugling with this problem myself for 2 days untill i stumbled on smurfboys post writen above my guide.... the instructions were quite simple but there was couple parts where i had to crack the problems i faced ( like when armadillo key couldnt be deleted ) but trough trial and error it was worth it ^^ finally i can record while playing eve :p so thnx again smurfboy and cheers to u all

ps. remember safest way to get the program working is to buy it ^^

Sandaan

Distinguished
Jun 12, 2007

what i did:

2. restarted pc
4. delete folder �HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Licenses" (note i dont have anything licenced installed so u might have to search for the right key if u have licenced products installed in your pc)

Thanks, that worked for me

PowerPAC

Distinguished
Apr 11, 2007
I also have the free trial of fraps and for some reason you know how you can set whatever key you want to record or take pics? I've been trying to use my F3 key and it use to work but for some reason it wont let me use any of the F key's anymore but F1 and i need that for the game i play online.

Anyone have any ideas?
had the same problem.... the trick is to start fraps BEFORE u open ur directx or open gl program or u might have old version of fraps so try searchin for newer one

sharkb8_91

Distinguished
Jul 26, 2007

why r u trying to give us viruses??
i downloaded and scanned it with AVG and found a few viruses

PowerPAC

Distinguished
Apr 11, 2007

lets make things clear... the time i did this the files (WERE) clean atleast acording to my anti-virus prog... it would be stupid for anyone to install any software without scanning it if ure not 100% sure its virus free.... so again i hate to quote myself but theres such thing called google that many ppl uses to search for things they need.... so i strongly advise that if thease files are contaminated in anyway try to search for em in google or any other search engine..... but anyways thnx for the heads up.... now ppl will and should be more aware

GhostofArafat

Distinguished
Aug 8, 2007
Try doing what this vid says:
http://youtube.com/watch?v=Pkfp3JBzbCk&mode=related&search=
Plus delete the fraps folder in the reg .
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\FRAPS
And delete frapsvid.dll from your system32 folder.
work for me....

kevin9107

Distinguished
Aug 25, 2007
i got a good one for you..... I have vista installed....i installed the fraps trial. Got the full version. uninstalled the trial. installed full and nothing.

I went through every single forum i can find and can't find anything helpful. I have trial reset. It wont let me erase one of the keys. So i went in and changed the permissions on the key manually in the registry. But when i click apply it says "unable to save permissions, access is denied." Well i know with vista you can run programs as an administrator. So i tried that and i get the same thing. WTF???

Any ideas?

kevin9107

Distinguished
Aug 25, 2007
Update..... I figured out how to remove the keys. I had to change the ownership permissions first.....stupid vista......

Anyways its still not working and i've tried everything ive read. But i do have the newest version. Is there someway to know what keys go to the fraps? The only keys i find are with trial reset. I deleted all the temp files and the dll in the system 32 folder. Still no luck. I install and when i click to open fraps.....Nothing.....

Any ideas?

PowerPAC

Distinguished
Apr 11, 2007
srry no help from me there.... 1st thing i came up was taht u werent logged in as admin but u solved that .... 2nd thing i recommend is that u check ur registry and search with fraps and fps1 keywords (ctrl + f when regedit open).... theres nothing more i can do for ya