Sign in with
Your question

Wait or Buy 8800gts 320

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
April 13, 2007 12:28:49 AM

For 329$CAD i can get the 8800GTS 320MB Should i buy it or
The price will drop when amd card is going to be out but even if they are out, i know there no price releaved yet and performance, but (by guess) would it be cheaper for better performance or about the same ? I would like to have a Ati card because my board is Crossfire compatible but would it be compatible for crossfire with those new card ?

More about : wait buy 8800gts 320

a b U Graphics card
April 13, 2007 12:34:01 AM

This late in the game I'd wait for the ATi launch. Earlier in the year I'd say buy the GTS and be happy, but you're 11 days away from the AMD launch event, unless you need something right now, it'd be worth waiting to see if at least the GTS-640 doesn't get a price cut or if there's something else attractive out there. It's unlikely that the GTS-320 will go up in price after April23rd.
April 13, 2007 12:47:19 AM

Well i like upgrade my comp from a 3200 a64 with a 1600pro ati for a e6300 but with a Geforce 7300Gs i thought it was good enough to play game like Bf2 but no lol i got f*** on that, im not very hurry to change the card because my biggest waiting is for Crysis, but there a couple game i want to play now like stalker, rb vegas...... I have all the hardware to go hardcore in gaming except the video card right now. With amd reporting their card again and again make frustrating me a lot.
Related resources
a b U Graphics card
April 13, 2007 1:06:16 AM

I understand. And if you can use the card right away, then by all means it's a solid, card, and I doubt that the GTS-320 will drop much in price, and it will be good for a while to come.

Personally I'd still wait, but it's your call. Watever you decide don't regret it because both options (buying the GTS or waiting) are intelligent choices given your needs.
April 13, 2007 1:20:37 AM

The thing also is that would Crysis will run fast at like 1280 res with a geforce 320mb, if only crytek would leak some spec requirement or some more information about it i would had go direct buy a 8800 but you know when farcry was out it was better on ati card, and when you buyed the card the game was coming free with it, maybe they will do the same about crysis since the the release of both is close each other.
April 13, 2007 1:29:04 AM

Just curious Grape-Ape, do you have any links to that AMD launch event? And will there be any sort of benchmarks at that point? I'm just trying to amass information because like the OP, I find myself looking to upgrade to the GTS 320 (from a rapidly aging 6800GT) real soon.
a b U Graphics card
April 13, 2007 1:38:05 AM

Quote:
The thing also is that would Crysis will run fast at like 1280 res with a geforce 320mb, if only crytek would leak some spec requirement or some more information about it i would had go direct buy

They've been scetchy on the requirements sofar. However it's supposed to be prety adaptable within the confines of a high end gaming rig of the las two years as a good minimum, and then they said that the current GF8800 series should be just above medium settings, and that it will take a while to max settings out in Crysis. So I suspect that the GTS-320 should be ok at 1280x1024 but with a few things on medium-high. The thing is we don't know how memory limited the game is and how it interacts with the CPU and other things. There are many factors that could increase the stress level in the game.

Quote:
a 8800 but you know when farcry was out it was better on ati card, and when you buyed the card the game was coming free with it, maybe they will do the same about crysis since the the release of both is close each other.

Well Crysis is supposed to be a FALL release, so they aren't that close to each other. As for which does better, it'll depend on what's stressed, I have my opinion on it but I wouldn't share it here because people would take that speculation and use it for their own purposes.
April 13, 2007 1:41:10 AM

personally i dont think the 8800gts will drop much in price at all i mean whenever the R600 DOES come it out it wont be comptitvely priced my guess it will be in the 400-500 price range and that the 8800gts may say drop slightly in price around 30 dollars is my guess to market itself as the better & cheaper buy.

in conclusion i highly doubt the 8800gts will drop anymore than say 10% at the absolute max in price even when the r600 is released and distrubted so you wont be saving TOO much(a couple bucks)waiting for the r600 in my opinion

if youve got the money and your currently sitting on a card that simply cant play any games(which i think the 7300 of yours is going to have a major heartattack trying to play say company of hereos or stalker :p ) i would go ahead and buy it :D  but thats just my opinion of course and im in no way an absolute expert :D 
a b U Graphics card
April 13, 2007 1:42:01 AM

Quote:
Just curious Grape-Ape, do you have any links to that AMD launch event? And will there be any sort of benchmarks at that point? I'm just trying to amass information because like the OP, I find myself looking to upgrade to the GTS 320 (from a rapidly aging 6800GT) real soon.

Nothing official about the launch event, but everyone is confirming the information provided by the InQ April 23-24 in Tunisia;
http://www.theinquirer.net/default.aspx?article=38442

As for what we'll see, no one knows. It could be just static cards, but those were already seen at CeBit, so I suspect it will be strategic information like 3Dmark results and such that make the R600 look good, but hopefully it will give us architecture information. Either way it's a more informed decision than we currently have, and if we're lucky we'll get a host of benchmarks.
!