Help on Windows please help

trencin

Distinguished
May 12, 2006
I will be replacing a motherboard from Dell PC that is really old and is time for a new one. (It does not have an AGP slot nor PCI-e) so I am upgrading mainly because of that. I am wondering if HDD with the windows will boot up on the new motherboard ? I have The dell windows XP home and the number, i am just wondering if There will be a need of re-installing it or if I need to buy a new windows?

Other question as well: Can I upgrade with another socket of motherboard and get a new compatible processor with it , and still just use the windows CD and number that I have and use the same hard drive?
(I already got a new 420 watt Power supply)

Current system specs:
Intel Celeron 2.4 GHZ
socket 478 Motherboard
1 GB ram DDR 3200
160 GB ATA 100 (Roughly 128.4 GB Left)

(I would like to upgrade to intel 775 socket or AMD 939 if anyone of them are possible without buying a new windows)

dmroeder

Distinguished
Jan 15, 2005
I'm not sure that you will be able to use that copy of windows on a different motherboard. There are ways to upgrade your motherboard without reinstalling with a normaly version, but I'm not sure about yours.

This may be a good time to build a new rig. You will most certainly need a new copy of Windows (blame cheap Dell for that).

trencin

Distinguished
May 12, 2006
alright thanks for help.
I am already building a brand new computer based on socket 939, and I was wondering I could just upgrade the one thats is being used.

Yall think I can at least upgrade the motherboard with the same socket 478 ?

dmroeder

Distinguished
Jan 15, 2005
I completely understand.

You might have to wait for someone a little smarter to reply. I'm not exactly sure how those disks determine if it's ok to install. I don't know what on the motherboard they look for. Typically those motherboards are made specifically for Dell.

Windows typically checks the system manufacture string store in the DMI pool data to determine what type of computer it's being installed on. Whether Dell CDs check for more, I am not certain.

trencin

Distinguished
May 12, 2006
alrighty thanks ofr help!
Will my best bet be by calling DELL Tech help to see if they do that with their windows ??

Oh it's guaranteed that they do it. This is why after you've installed Windows from a Dell restore CD it will come up and tell you your product key is invalid and that you need to enter a new key.

So unless you're comfortable editing DMI strings (and know which ones to edit and how), you're better off just purchasing a new copy of Windows. Although IIRC, pre-SP1 Dell XP CDs installed on almost any computer.

No.

The copy of Windows is with that Dell... so if you sell the computer, the copy of Windows is supposed to go with it. Also, if you upgrade the motherboard, MS views this as technically a new computer which requires a new version of Windows. They will not provide you with another key if you tell them you upgraded your motherboard; they will tell you that you need to purchase another copy of Windows.

TRENDING THREADS