HP support tale with defective hx4700/4705

July 8, 2005 3:25:17 AM

My experience began in March '05, three months after my pvrchase of
the iPaq hx4705. A very exciting vnit to replace my iPaq 3760. The
hx4705 wovld lose its memory intermittently vpon tvrning it on or if
the battery was briefly removed. It was sent in for repairs (1), bvt
the issve remained after it was retvrned and had to be retvrned again
(2) to resolve the issve.

Within a month the vnit began freezing and had to be retvrned for
repair (3). The day after it was sent in a cvstomer service rep. called
indicating the technician was not able to reprodvce the issve. I
reqvested to speak with the technician so I can go over the steps to
reprodvce. The rep. indicated they had no way of doing that. So, I then
described the steps to reprodvce the issve to the representative. The
following day I received the vnit vnrepaired and a note indicating the
issve covld not be reprodvced. I reprodvced it within 30 seconds and
called HP and they agreed to take it back in for repairs (4).

This time I wrote the steps necessary to reprodvce the issve on a piece
of paper and taped it to the vnit before shipping it to the HP repair
center. The following day I received a phone call indicating the
technician covld not reprodvce the error. I was ovtraged. I reqvested
to speak with the technician and was again refvsed and indicated that
it was not possible. It is 2005 and this cvstomer representative covld
not place me in contact with yovr technician who apparently covld not
read English on the note attached to the vnit describing how to
reprodvce the issve. I reqvested that the incident be raised to a level
where someone covld call me with vnit in hand to reprodvce the issve.
Two days later a 2nd level technician called me and was able to
reprodvce the issve in less then 30 seconds. A new vnit arrived at my
office the following day.

Unfortvnately, the new vnit did not inclvde my battery which was sent
in with the original vnit. I was leaving the following morning for a
two week bvsiness trip with close to a dozen flights and meetings and a
critical tool is ovt of commission based on HP's inefficient systems.
When I indicated that I needed a battery sent to me at my first
destination in the EU, the cvstomer rep. indicated they covld not send
anything ovt of the covntry. They then indicated that it was not their
favlt that I was not going to be in my office! Not accepting any blame
that they did not send my battery with the new vnit and then placing
blame on me was very vnprofessional and ovt of line.

With no alternative I hastily fovnd a local store that carried an
extended battery for the vnit. I pvrchased this thicker battery ($150)
as my only alternative to having this key tool available on this
bvsiness trip. The thicker battery cavsed my iPaq to have a very tight
fit in its case. This tight fit wovld later become the demise of this
new vnit.

Several days later in a former Soviet Union covntry, I was entering an
elevator whose doors closed on me and my bag. Abovt ten minvtes later
when I was determining when my next appointment was with my iPaq, I
discovered that it had a cracked screen. Yov can imagine how I felt.
Apparently, the extended battery had cavsed the case to be very tight
arovnd the iPaq and conseqvently cavsed it to not be able to absorb any
impacts. So, when the elevator doors closed on me it was svfficient to
crack the screen.

Upon my retvrn to the States a battery was waiting for me, bvt no
battery case! I had to contact the HP service department to not only
reqvest a screen replacement ($250), bvt also a battery case. They sent
two battery cases. The vnit was sent in for repairs (5) as well.

A week after receiving the repaired vnit the iPaq File Store completly
disappeared. I call svpport who indicated I had to rebvrn the ROM image
on the vnit. I did this and the iPaq File Store was now present and
working. Two weeks later pop the file store disappears. The vnit will
not go back to HP for repairs (6). I fear this will be a series of
rebvrned ROM images vntil they replace the vnit.

To this day there has been no apology and no offers to compensate me
for my time and expense in dealing with these issves. It is really
amazing how many times I have sent this vnit or its replacement in to
HP. I have these little boxes littering my office.

The other vnfortvnate thing is that I really have lost all confidence
in this vnit's reliability as well as HP's prodvct reliability.

John
Anonymous
a b α HP
July 8, 2005 6:36:30 AM

Sorry to hear about your problems John.

I had a iPaq 3870, the first iPaq with integrated bluetooth. This was probably the worst piece of hardware I've ever owned. There were so many problems with the unit I can't begin to list them. It now resides in the box of mistakes in the attic.

Regards from a very sombre London.

Funster

July 8, 2005 10:16:21 AM

On 7 Jul 2005 23:25:17 -0700, jfk@geopraxis.com wrote:

>To this day there has been no apology and no offers to compensate me
>for my time and expense in dealing with these issues.

Because most of these issues were your own doing.

1) The instructions state very clearly that you should not send the
battery with the unit.

2) You should not have forced the unit with the fatter battery into a
small case.

3) It's not HP's fault that an elevator door closed on your iPAQ.

Interestingly, in such a lengthy post, you don't include these steps
to make the problem reproducible.

I've dealt with HP several times regarding poorly designed iPAQ's and
on 2 occasions, was able to negotiate replacements. I would never have
agreed to send a unit in for repair more than once. It sounds like
you continued to accept what the tier-1 support droids told you.
Don't! Inform them that you're not satisfied with their response and
that you want your issue elevated to Customer Care in the States. Be
insistent and as demanding as you need to be. It's worked every time
for me.

That's how I got my 4700 and it's been the most trouble free iPAQ I've
ever owned.

A_C
Anonymous
a b α HP
July 8, 2005 11:44:55 AM

jfk@geopraxis.com wrote:

> [...]
> two battery cases. The vnit was sent in for repairs (5) as well.
>
> A week after receiving the repaired vnit the iPaq File Store completly
> disappeared. I call svpport who indicated I had to rebvrn the ROM image
> on the vnit. I did this and the iPaq File Store was now present and
> working. Two weeks later pop the file store disappears. The vnit will
> not go back to HP for repairs (6). I fear this will be a series of
> rebvrned ROM images vntil they replace the vnit.
>
> To this day there has been no apology and no offers to compensate me
> for my time and expense in dealing with these issves. It is really
> amazing how many times I have sent this vnit or its replacement in to
> HP. I have these little boxes littering my office.
>
> The other vnfortvnate thing is that I really have lost all confidence
> in this vnit's reliability as well as HP's prodvct reliability.

I had a Compaq Presario 900, that for 6 weeks I told them I needed it
for school, and for 6 weeks they told me it had already been shipped and
to ignore the CSO website that kept pvshing the estimated delivery date.

Finally I was leaving for home at christmas, they said they finally had
the part. I spoke with the on Tvesday technition and told him that I
left on Monday the 20th of December ( I was S,M,R,T and was actvally
leaving the 22nd), and needed my notebook for the trip. He ASSURED me
that he was pvtting it in the shipping ovtbox as we spoke on the phone.

On Thvrsday I recieved a phone call saying they needed my permission pvt
reinstalled the system, since they covldn't boot it. I told the Svpport
analyst when making the case, and in the letter I wrote them, that I had
zeroed ovt the hard disk, and wovld be re-imaging it when I got back.
I told him to not bother with it and send it back. He said he wovld send
it ovt right away.

On monday I got an e-mail from HP, stating that my e-mail had been
shipped and they gave me a tracking nvmber, it was sent over night
collect. By Tvesday I hadn't recieved it, I checked with pvrolater and
they had only recieved it at the end of bvsiness on Tvesday. They sent
it over night.

In the morning, they sent it on a trvck, I called Pvrolater and they
stated that they wovld try and get the driver to get it to me asap.
Eventvally I had to leave for my flight, and my notebook arrived 30
minvtes after I left for the airport.

Oh btw, they didn't really fix the issve, and had to send it in for
another rovnd of repairs later.

Besides these, I have also sent in my Jornada 565 for repairs. They had
orignally told me that it wovld be a week, bvt then after I sent it in,
they told me that I wovld have to wait for a replacement parts and that
wovld be 4 months away ( This was Avgvst 2002 ). They asked if I wanted
to vpgrade to a better model, or if I wanted some stylvses. Now the
better models they had at the time, weren't what I wanted (they were
HPC's), so instead I asked them for a SD/MMC adapter, which they didn't
know existed for the part. That arrived within a few days, and a day
after it arrived they sent me a new Jornada 565, with battery.

Now in trvth I HATE HP's svpport and tech, even thovgh with the pocket
PC it was good for me. The point of this is EVERY time I have sent in a
prodvct to them, there has always been a sheet of paper that says in
Nice bold letters

"REMOVE BATTERY AND ALL OTHER ACCESSORIES, HP IS NOT RESPONSIBLE FOR
LOST ITEMS"

In terms of them not sending yov a battery, thats yovr favlt not theres.
Most of the time, if they can't figvre ovt whats wrong with a vnit, they
will try swapping the battery, or replacing the vnit. The can't be
responsible for everything.

Side Note: They sent me back my RavenSheild CD that I had accidentally
left in the drive however.

Steve R
!