Show/Hide Desktop Icons

I seem to have lost the menu option to show/hide my desktop icons
(right-click on desktop, arrange icons by). How do I get this option back?
Couldn't find anyting in the online knowledgebase that described this
problem.

Windows XP SP2 Professional

Thanks,
-bs
1 answer Last reply
More about show hide desktop icons

    TweakUI installed?

    Show Desktop Icons will not display if you have unchecked:
    ? Allow Web content to be added to the desktop
    in TweakUI.

    If this is unchecked:
    TweakUI
    [+] Explorer
    ? Allow Web content to be added to the desktop
    [[If this is unchecked then the ability to add Web Content to the desktop
    will be disabled.]]

    You will *not* see:

    Right click Desktop | Properties | Desktop tab | Customize Desktop button |
    Web tab

    Or....

    Right click Desktop | Arrange Icons By | Show Desktop Icons

    HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Policies\Explorer
    NoActiveDesktop
    REG_DWORD
    0 = Allow Web content to be added to the desktop
    1 = Don't allow Web content to be added to the desktop

    Also, *.jpg files will not be listed in...
    Display Properties | Desktop tab | Background

    Your Desktop Icons Are Missing in Windows XP
    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;330170

    --
    Hope this helps. Let us know.

    Wes
    MS-MVP Windows Shell/User

    In news:%23g9aWUoQFHA.3384@TK2MSFTNGP10.phx.gbl,
    bs <bsohn@bigfoot.com> hunted and pecked:
    > I seem to have lost the menu option to show/hide my desktop icons
    > (right-click on desktop, arrange icons by). How do I get this option back?
    > Couldn't find anyting in the online knowledgebase that described this
    > problem.
    >
    > Windows XP SP2 Professional
    >
    > Thanks,
    > -bs

Desktop Icons Desktops Microsoft Windows XP