Only 1 screensaver

Help, I am a puter newbie, who is trying to get more than 1 screensaver
(Windows XP). All the options and boxes are greyed out in the Screensaver
tab. I have added other .scr files to Windows\system 32, and gone into
HKEY_CURRENT USER - Control Panel - Desktop - WindowMetrics and edited the
data to C:\WINDOWS\System32
logon.scr\bezier.scr\mystify.scr\stars.scr\marquee.scr
but no effect???
I would really appreciate help on this. It is driving me bonkers. Does SP2
have anything to do with this?
--
jw
5 answers Last reply

    Current screen saver is here...
    HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Control Panel\Desktop
    Value Name: SCRNSAVE.EXE
    Value Type: REG_SZ
    Value Data: C:\WINDOWS\System32\your_filename_here.scr

    HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Control Panel\Desktop
    Value Name: ScreenSaveActive
    Value Type: REG_SZ
    Value Data: 0 or 1
    0 = disable screen savers
    1 = enable screen savers

    XP Pro?

    Open Group Policy...
    Start | Run | Type: gpedit.msc | OK |
    Navigate to...

    Administrative Templates\Control Panel\Display\
    Screen Saver executable name

    [[If you enable this setting, the system displays the specified screen saver
    on the user's desktop. Also, this setting disables the drop-down list of
    screen savers on the Screen Saver tab in Display in Control Panel,
    preventing users from changing the screen saver.]]

    More info...
    http://www.boyce.us/gp/gpcontent.asp?ID=436

    Administrative Templates\Control Panel\Display\
    Screen Saver

    [[If you disable this setting, screen savers do not run. Also, this setting
    disables the Screen Saver section of the Screen Saver tab in Display in
    Control Panel. As a result, users cannot change the screen saver options.]]

    More info...
    http://www.boyce.us/gp/gpcontent.asp?ID=435

    --
    Hope this helps. Let us know.

    Wes
    MS-MVP Windows Shell/User

    In news:C4657BCE-1B6A-4941-B0A6-7067500193EA@microsoft.com,
    katfish1 <katfish1@discussions.microsoft.com> hunted and pecked:
    > Help, I am a puter newbie, who is trying to get more than 1 screensaver
    > (Windows XP). All the options and boxes are greyed out in the Screensaver
    > tab. I have added other .scr files to Windows\system 32, and gone into
    > HKEY_CURRENT USER - Control Panel - Desktop - WindowMetrics and edited the
    > data to C:\WINDOWS\System32
    > logon.scr\bezier.scr\mystify.scr\stars.scr\marquee.scr
    > but no effect???
    > I would really appreciate help on this. It is driving me bonkers. Does SP2
    > have anything to do with this?
    > --
    > jw

    Thanks Wesley. I appreciate your help. I did as you suggested, but no luck.
    I have XP Home Edition with SP2. I guess this is why I don't have gpedit.msc.
    What is your opinion of upgrading to XP Pro? I'm an apple mac fan and all
    this windows hassle is new to me! Are there any other OS worth looking at? I
    fly helicopters for a living, and they are sooooooooooo much simpler.
    John

    "Wesley Vogel" wrote:

    > Current screen saver is here...
    > HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Control Panel\Desktop
    > Value Name: SCRNSAVE.EXE
    > Value Type: REG_SZ
    > Value Data: C:\WINDOWS\System32\your_filename_here.scr
    >

    > HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Control Panel\Desktop
    > Value Name: ScreenSaveActive
    > Value Type: REG_SZ
    > Value Data: 0 or 1
    > 0 = disable screen savers
    > 1 = enable screen savers
    >
    > XP Pro?
    >
    > Open Group Policy...
    > Start | Run | Type: gpedit.msc | OK |
    > Navigate to...
    >
    > Administrative Templates\Control Panel\Display\
    > Screen Saver executable name
    >
    > [[If you enable this setting, the system displays the specified screen saver
    > on the user's desktop. Also, this setting disables the drop-down list of
    > screen savers on the Screen Saver tab in Display in Control Panel,
    > preventing users from changing the screen saver.]]
    >
    > More info...
    > http://www.boyce.us/gp/gpcontent.asp?ID=436
    >
    > Administrative Templates\Control Panel\Display\
    > Screen Saver
    >
    > [[If you disable this setting, screen savers do not run. Also, this setting
    > disables the Screen Saver section of the Screen Saver tab in Display in
    > Control Panel. As a result, users cannot change the screen saver options.]]
    >
    > More info...
    > http://www.boyce.us/gp/gpcontent.asp?ID=435
    >

    > --
    > Hope this helps. Let us know.
    >
    > Wes
    > MS-MVP Windows Shell/User
    >
    > In news:C4657BCE-1B6A-4941-B0A6-7067500193EA@microsoft.com,
    > katfish1 <katfish1@discussions.microsoft.com> hunted and pecked:
    > > Help, I am a puter newbie, who is trying to get more than 1 screensaver
    > > (Windows XP). All the options and boxes are greyed out in the Screensaver
    > > tab. I have added other .scr files to Windows\system 32, and gone into
    > > HKEY_CURRENT USER - Control Panel - Desktop - WindowMetrics and edited the
    > > data to C:\WINDOWS\System32
    > > logon.scr\bezier.scr\mystify.scr\stars.scr\marquee.scr
    > > but no effect???
    > > I would really appreciate help on this. It is driving me bonkers. Does SP2
    > > have anything to do with this?
    > > --
    > > jw

    John,

    <LOL> At least you don't have to use both feet with the computer.

    Have a look here...

    Read the instructions at the top.
    227. Right hand side
    Restore/Enable Screensaver Tab Settings/Display

    I started using XP with the Home edition. I got tired of seeing tips, etc.
    pertaining to Pro only. I upgraded. $$ is the question.

    I would use nothing other than Windows myself.

    --
    Hope this helps. Let us know.

    Wes
    MS-MVP Windows Shell/User

    In news:37916B5E-6D12-484A-8A2D-2B34E4443C55@microsoft.com,
    katfish1 <katfish1@discussions.microsoft.com> hunted and pecked:
    > Thanks Wesley. I appreciate your help. I did as you suggested, but no
    > luck. I have XP Home Edition with SP2. I guess this is why I don't have
    > gpedit.msc. What is your opinion of upgrading to XP Pro? I'm an apple mac
    > fan and all this windows hassle is new to me! Are there any other OS
    > worth looking at? I fly helicopters for a living, and they are
    > sooooooooooo much simpler.
    > John
    >
    > "Wesley Vogel" wrote:
    >
    >> Current screen saver is here...
    >> HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Control Panel\Desktop
    >> Value Name: SCRNSAVE.EXE
    >> Value Type: REG_SZ
    >> Value Data: C:\WINDOWS\System32\your_filename_here.scr
    >>

    >> HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Control Panel\Desktop
    >> Value Name: ScreenSaveActive
    >> Value Type: REG_SZ
    >> Value Data: 0 or 1
    >> 0 = disable screen savers
    >> 1 = enable screen savers
    >>
    >> XP Pro?
    >>
    >> Open Group Policy...
    >> Start | Run | Type: gpedit.msc | OK |
    >> Navigate to...
    >>
    >> Administrative Templates\Control Panel\Display\
    >> Screen Saver executable name
    >>
    >> [[If you enable this setting, the system displays the specified screen
    >> saver on the user's desktop. Also, this setting disables the drop-down
    >> list of screen savers on the Screen Saver tab in Display in Control
    >> Panel, preventing users from changing the screen saver.]]
    >>
    >> More info...
    >> http://www.boyce.us/gp/gpcontent.asp?ID=436
    >>
    >> Administrative Templates\Control Panel\Display\
    >> Screen Saver
    >>
    >> [[If you disable this setting, screen savers do not run. Also, this
    >> setting disables the Screen Saver section of the Screen Saver tab in
    >> Display in Control Panel. As a result, users cannot change the screen
    >> saver options.]]
    >>
    >> More info...
    >> http://www.boyce.us/gp/gpcontent.asp?ID=435
    >>

    >> --
    >> Hope this helps. Let us know.
    >>
    >> Wes
    >> MS-MVP Windows Shell/User
    >>
    >> In news:C4657BCE-1B6A-4941-B0A6-7067500193EA@microsoft.com,
    >> katfish1 <katfish1@discussions.microsoft.com> hunted and pecked:
    >>> Help, I am a puter newbie, who is trying to get more than 1 screensaver
    >>> (Windows XP). All the options and boxes are greyed out in the
    >>> Screensaver tab. I have added other .scr files to Windows\system 32,
    >>> and gone into HKEY_CURRENT USER - Control Panel - Desktop -
    >>> WindowMetrics and edited the data to C:\WINDOWS\System32
    >>> logon.scr\bezier.scr\mystify.scr\stars.scr\marquee.scr
    >>> but no effect???
    >>> I would really appreciate help on this. It is driving me bonkers. Does
    >>> SP2 have anything to do with this?
    >>> --
    >>> jw

    Wes, thank you my friend, it fixed it. I now have all the standard
    screensavers, and can use your previous instructions to load some others -
    basically marine and helicopter photos.
    how do you guys find the time to do all this stuff?
    Thanks again
    John

    "Wesley Vogel" wrote:

    > John,
    >
    > <LOL> At least you don't have to use both feet with the computer.
    >
    > Have a look here...
    >
    > Read the instructions at the top.
    > 227. Right hand side
    > Restore/Enable Screensaver Tab Settings/Display
    >
    > I started using XP with the Home edition. I got tired of seeing tips, etc.
    > pertaining to Pro only. I upgraded. $$ is the question.
    >
    > I would use nothing other than Windows myself.
    >
    > --
    > Hope this helps. Let us know.
    >
    > Wes
    > MS-MVP Windows Shell/User
    >
    > In news:37916B5E-6D12-484A-8A2D-2B34E4443C55@microsoft.com,
    > katfish1 <katfish1@discussions.microsoft.com> hunted and pecked:
    > > Thanks Wesley. I appreciate your help. I did as you suggested, but no
    > > luck. I have XP Home Edition with SP2. I guess this is why I don't have
    > > gpedit.msc. What is your opinion of upgrading to XP Pro? I'm an apple mac
    > > fan and all this windows hassle is new to me! Are there any other OS
    > > worth looking at? I fly helicopters for a living, and they are
    > > sooooooooooo much simpler.
    > > John
    > >
    > > "Wesley Vogel" wrote:
    > >
    > >> Current screen saver is here...
    > >> HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Control Panel\Desktop
    > >> Value Name: SCRNSAVE.EXE
    > >> Value Type: REG_SZ
    > >> Value Data: C:\WINDOWS\System32\your_filename_here.scr
    > >>

    > >> HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Control Panel\Desktop
    > >> Value Name: ScreenSaveActive
    > >> Value Type: REG_SZ
    > >> Value Data: 0 or 1
    > >> 0 = disable screen savers
    > >> 1 = enable screen savers
    > >>
    > >> XP Pro?
    > >>
    > >> Open Group Policy...
    > >> Start | Run | Type: gpedit.msc | OK |
    > >> Navigate to...
    > >>
    > >> Administrative Templates\Control Panel\Display\
    > >> Screen Saver executable name
    > >>
    > >> [[If you enable this setting, the system displays the specified screen
    > >> saver on the user's desktop. Also, this setting disables the drop-down
    > >> list of screen savers on the Screen Saver tab in Display in Control
    > >> Panel, preventing users from changing the screen saver.]]
    > >>
    > >> More info...
    > >> http://www.boyce.us/gp/gpcontent.asp?ID=436
    > >>
    > >> Administrative Templates\Control Panel\Display\
    > >> Screen Saver
    > >>
    > >> [[If you disable this setting, screen savers do not run. Also, this
    > >> setting disables the Screen Saver section of the Screen Saver tab in
    > >> Display in Control Panel. As a result, users cannot change the screen
    > >> saver options.]]
    > >>
    > >> More info...
    > >> http://www.boyce.us/gp/gpcontent.asp?ID=435
    > >>

    > >> --
    > >> Hope this helps. Let us know.
    > >>
    > >> Wes
    > >> MS-MVP Windows Shell/User
    > >>
    > >> In news:C4657BCE-1B6A-4941-B0A6-7067500193EA@microsoft.com,
    > >> katfish1 <katfish1@discussions.microsoft.com> hunted and pecked:

    John,

    It is certainly tough to find any time today.

    Keep having fun! :-)

    --
    Hope this helps. Let us know.

    Wes
    MS-MVP Windows Shell/User

    In news:9D4A632C-E2DF-46BD-8CC7-D93F959B46E7@microsoft.com,
    katfish1 <katfish1@discussions.microsoft.com> hunted and pecked:
    > Wes, thank you my friend, it fixed it. I now have all the standard
    > screensavers, and can use your previous instructions to load some others -
    > basically marine and helicopter photos.
    > how do you guys find the time to do all this stuff?
    > Thanks again
    > John
    >
    > "Wesley Vogel" wrote:
    >
    >> John,
    >>
    >> <LOL> At least you don't have to use both feet with the computer.
    >>
    >> Have a look here...
    >>
    >> Read the instructions at the top.
    >> 227. Right hand side
    >> Restore/Enable Screensaver Tab Settings/Display
    >>
    >> I started using XP with the Home edition. I got tired of seeing tips,
    >> etc. pertaining to Pro only. I upgraded. $$ is the question.
    >>
    >> I would use nothing other than Windows myself.
    >>
    >> --
    >> Hope this helps. Let us know.
    >>
    >> Wes
    >> MS-MVP Windows Shell/User
    >>
    >> In news:37916B5E-6D12-484A-8A2D-2B34E4443C55@microsoft.com,
    >> katfish1 <katfish1@discussions.microsoft.com> hunted and pecked:
    >>> Thanks Wesley. I appreciate your help. I did as you suggested, but no
    >>> luck. I have XP Home Edition with SP2. I guess this is why I don't have
    >>> gpedit.msc. What is your opinion of upgrading to XP Pro? I'm an apple
    >>> mac fan and all this windows hassle is new to me! Are there any other OS
    >>> worth looking at? I fly helicopters for a living, and they are
    >>> sooooooooooo much simpler.
    >>> John

Screensaver System32 Microsoft Windows XP