Weichelt

Distinguished
Apr 7, 2007
I’m building my first pc atm and have a few questions about the wiring:

1. How do I know exactly where to put the ground wire from the power supply?
2. I’m not seeing an exact layout of what wires go where, do I just line up the shapes and numbers?

kitchenshark

Distinguished
Dec 30, 2005
I'm unfamilliar with question 1. I've never seen a grounding wire on a modern PSU. I would imagine to look into the instructions and see where to stick it.

For question 2, yes, pretty much. The connectors are all keyed so will give you resistance if inserted incorrectly. You DO have to be mindful of a few though. All motherboards need the ATX connector, most need the 4pin CPU connector, and if your video card needs it, the 6 pin PCI-e connectors.

jeepn

Distinguished
Oct 3, 2006
Read your MB manual... or go to your MB manufactures site and ck the forumz if they have one. Peace :twisted:

Weichelt

Distinguished
Apr 7, 2007
It says the ground needs to be hooked to the main board. Its a similar looking ground wire, just like normal electric work or car audio wiring - a wire with an open eye circle on the end.

Any thoughts??

kitchenshark

Distinguished
Dec 30, 2005
When you put the motherboard in, put one of the motherboard screws through the ground wire.

That's what it sounds like it's trying to tell you to do.

REMEMBER TO INSTALL THE MOTHERBOARD STANDOFFS THOUGH!!!

proof

Distinguished
Oct 16, 2006
Follow this chart:

Connector--------Where it connects to
AGP Card------------>PCI-e x1 Slot
SATA Cable--------->USB Port
Square Peg--------->Round Hole

Mondoman

Splendid
I’m building my first pc atm and have a few questions about the wiring:

1. How do I know exactly where to put the ground wire from the power supply?
I've also never seen a "ground wire" from a recent computer PS. Please list the model numbers of *all* the components of your system (especially the PS) to give us a better idea of what's really going on here.