How to attach Linksys high gain antenna to laptop?

inquiring

Distinguished
Jan 7, 2002
Ive got a Linksys 7dbi high gain antenna with an SMA connector. Is there a way that I can hard wire this antenna to my TOSHIBA Satellite laptop without too much soldering or mess so that I can make a reliable connection? Has this been done before? Thanks for any and all ideas. 8O

inquiring

Distinguished
Jan 7, 2002
Thank you. Any tips on brand/source for a quality PCMCIA/SMA card? Also, what is the native gain now on the TOSHIBA notebook?. I read somewhere that the TOSHIBA wireless antenna is built into the LCD frame. Thanks again.

sue_11

Distinguished
Apr 30, 2010
i have lenovo laptop it has linksys i have comcast on my home computer my laptop has a very low connection how do i fix it cheap

Mystroth

Distinguished
Apr 26, 2010
Typically the antenna that comes built into the laptop is in the screen. Unfortunately there is no simple way to change the conntection.

What might be best would be to purchase a wireless card that has a built in high gain antenna.

I purchased one from ebay called Superpass . They look a bit ugly but they work very well.

crazyshirley

Distinguished
Jun 2, 2010
i took the hinges off my dell inspiron laptop and the wires to the built in antenna came loose. i can barely see where they reconnect. how to i reconnect?

crazyshirley

Distinguished
Jun 2, 2010
Nevermind. I found the service manual on line at Dell. The original problem that made me start fiddling with it was the power jack, so once I found the manual, I took it apart and re-soldered it to the motherboard and all it working well now.