Buying a laptop

Spankanator

Distinguished
Apr 13, 2007
I couldn't really find the appropriate place to post, but this is the closest I could find...

I am buying my first laptop. I'm not super experienced in this area and just wanted to get some input from knowledgeable people who might offer suggestions.

Right now I'm leaning towards the following Sony laptop:
VGN-FE890
NVIDIA GeForce Go 7600 graphics card
Intel Core 2 Duo Processor T7200 (2GHz) processor
2 GB DDR-SDRAM (DDR2-667, 1 GBx2)

Those are the basics. I believe the T7200 processor has 4MB L2 cache.

I want to be able to game on it, and I want it to run fast and smoothly, and last me several years before going obsolete.

Is there anything else I need to consider before making a purchase? I have heard good things about Sony and Toshiba laptops, and some good some bad things about HP and other laptops. That is why I'm considering the Sony. Also, with the FE890, I can customize it to how I want it.

Any input is appreciated.

Thanks,
Spankanator

Then IMO get a Gateway NX860 it's got everything you seem to be looking for, and I love my NX850;

http://www.gateway.com/systems/series/529498113.php

http://consumer.hardocp.com/article.html?art=MTI1NCwxLCxoY29uc3VtZXI=

If they had an X1600/1800 version to let me play Oblivion better I might have upgraded.

There are other choices out there, but this is a big company with good support, and a nice package. I know Toshiba has some good gaming ones too but they are pricier. Personally I like sony, but not their laptops for what you pay for.

That's my suggestion.

Spankanator

Distinguished
Apr 13, 2007
That looks pretty nice except I want the 15.4" display. The 17 is just too bulky. I want to be able to carry it around very easily.

Really? I was very pleased with the machine I could get from Sony for the money. For $1490 I can get something with the specs I already mentioned, and with bluetooth and a DVD burner. I compared it with Toshiba, and I found an equivalent machine for about 6 bucks cheaper, except the Toshiba only had the 12" screen and it had an integrated graphics card. So the Sony is a much better deal.

That looks pretty nice except I want the 15.4" display. The 17 is just too bulky. I want to be able to carry it around very easily.

Ah, Okay, dind't see mention of that. BTW, that 17" is smaller than my previous 14" DELL 5150 (which also came as 15" in the same chassis).

For 15" it's harder to find higher end parts inside.

Really? I was very pleased with the machine I could get from Sony for the money. For $1490 I can get something with the specs I already mentioned, and with bluetooth and a DVD burner. I compared it with Toshiba, and I found an equivalent machine for about 6 bucks cheaper, except the Toshiba only had the 12" screen and it had an integrated graphics card. So the Sony is a much better deal.

Yeah, and I think that's only because you limit yourself to the 15" models, and there there's less competition from the others, most of them put their good stuff in the 17" widescreens.

Anywhoo, I tried, for gaming I think a full numpad and 17" like on the Gateways, HPs, and some Toshibas is the way to go, but if you like 15" you may have found the best one without going to makers like KillerNotebooks and other specialty guys.

KillerNotebooks guy can be found in the Laptop forum here at THG, he has a nice selection and ok pricing from what I've seen.

Ask your question in here and you may get more details on who offers a good combo for specifically a 15" form factor, I'm sure there's a bunch, just one of theones I've been looking at for my upgrade.

http://forumz.tomshardware.com/mobile/General-Laptops-Notebooks-forum-12.html

Spankanator

Distinguished
Apr 13, 2007
Yeah, there's some really nice 17" gaming ones out there, and if I was made of money I would probably buy one 8) So for my price range I'm pretty happy with that Sony, but I will def check out that forum.

Thanks for all your help