ATI Releases More "R600" Details

slashzapper

Distinguished
May 3, 2006
HEHHEE ill post the whole thing :lol:

320-stream processors, named ATI Radeon HD 2900

AMD has named the rest of its upcoming ATI Radeon DirectX 10 product lineup. The new DirectX 10 product family received the ATI Radeon HD 2000-series moniker. For the new product generation, AMD has tagged HD to the product name to designate the entire lineup’s Avivo HD technology. AMD has also removed the X-prefix on its product models.

At the top of the DirectX 10 chain, is the ATI Radeon HD 2900 XT. The AMD ATI Radeon HD 2900-series features 320 stream processors, over twice as many as NVIDIA’s GeForce 8800 GTX. AMD couples the 320 stream processors with a 512-bit memory interface with eight channels. CrossFire support is now natively supported by the AMD ATI Radeon HD 2900-series; the external CrossFire dongle is a thing of the past.

The R600-based ATI Radeon HD 2900-series products also support 128-bit HDR rendering. AMD has also upped the ante on anti-aliasing support. The ATI Radeon HD 2900-series supports up to 24x anti-aliasing. NVIDIA’s GeForce 8800-series only supports up to 16x anti-aliasing. AMD’s ATI Radeon HD 2900-series also possesses physics processing.

New to the ATI Radeon HD 2900-series are integrated HDMI output capabilities with 5.1 surround sound. However, early images of AMD’s OEM R600 reveal dual dual-link DVI outputs, rendering the audio functions useless.

AMD’s RV630-based products will carry the ATI Radeon HD 2600 moniker with Pro and XT models. The value-targeted RV610-based products will carry the ATI Radeon HD 2400 name with Pro and XT models as well.

The entire AMD ATI Radeon HD 2000-family features the latest Avivo HD technology. AMD’s upgraded Avivo with a new Universal Video Decoder, also known as UVD, and the new Advanced Video Processor, or AVP. UVD previously made its debut in the OEM-exclusive RV550 GPU core. UVD provides hardware acceleration of H.264 and VC-1 high definition video formats used by Blu-ray and HD DVD. The AVP allows the GPU to apply hardware acceleration and video processing functions while keeping power consumption low.

Expect AMD to launch the ATI Radeon HD 2000-family in the upcoming weeks, if AMD doesn’t push back the launch dates further.

korsen

Distinguished
Jul 20, 2006
all i can say is DAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAMIT!!!

320! that's obscene! go figure a 6 month paper launch would get you 320 stream processors AND physics processing! my new rig is going to be a nuclear-reactor-slash-demi-god!!!

anyone think the 8900 will pwn this? omg man if nvidia merely thought of doubling their own stream processors they are in SO MUCH TROUBLE! WOO!

seriously though, all benchmark numbers to date on this card HAVE to be entirely false. Just the shaders alone should cripple any game this card takes on. Should make a mockery of oblivion on it's own.

Havok FX here i come. Also, does anyone think the physics processing capabilities could replace ageia? As in, could we play ageia based games with this? I guess a representative of the company needs to confirm that?

EDIT: WHAT IF THE SHADERS ARE STILL VEC4!?!?!!?!?

http://www.dailytech.com/article.aspx?newsid=6903

AH $CREW THAT !!
cussinglv1.gif

I want Laptop Info !!
faq6bdhm2.gif

Oh BTW, nice find. :trophy: :mrgreen: :trophy:

HEhe, I like emoticons...... :p

slashzapper

Distinguished
May 3, 2006
all i can say is DAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAMIT!!!

320! that's obscene! go figure a 6 month paper launch would get you 320 stream processors AND physics processing! my new rig is going to be a nuclear-reactor-slash-demi-god!!! :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

anyone think the 8900 will pwn this? omg man if nvidia merely thought of doubling their own stream processors they are in SO MUCH TROUBLE! WOO!

seriously though, all benchmark numbers to date on this card HAVE to be entirely false. Just the shaders alone should cripple any game this card takes on. Should make a mockery of oblivion on it's own.

Havok FX here i come. Also, does anyone think the physics processing capabilities could replace ageia? As in, could we play ageia based games with this? I guess a representative of the company needs to confirm that?

EDIT: WHAT IF THE SHADERS ARE STILL VEC4!?!?!!?!?

Mandrake_

Distinguished
Oct 7, 2006
Ati previously confirmed this is a 720 million transistor part. The Geforce 8800 has over 680 million transistors. Less than 40 million more transistors to work with.

Either the current G80 cards have a lot of their functionality disabled, or the stream processors on the R600 are not exactly comparable to a stream processor on the Geforce 8800.

Either way, I wish they'd just release this thing so we know how fast it goes. I could be interested in buying a more high end video card soon. :)

yakyb

Distinguished
Jun 14, 2006
its going to be an exciting 10 days to wait for the press release. things will get leaked here and there. Also there will be a s**t load of rubbish posted. but according to this post it would appear i will have a r600 in my next build :)

DrMaV

Distinguished
Aug 16, 2006
I've got my money just waiting for the first chance to buy this beast, with Barcelona and the new 790G. (Long overdue for an overhaul).

Did I mention beasts!

Kinda of reminds me when ATI was quiet, then bam! 9700 pro just blew everything away. Way to go AMD/ATI!

They truly understand where the market is going. Just look at the new UMPC's, and you'll understand that AMD/ATI are in a great position.

Just give them the little time they deserve, and I'm certain we will not be disappointed.

It will have been well worth the wait!

Mind you, that my Dothan at 300 fsb has been pretty good to me.

IcY18

Distinguished
May 1, 2006
You can't compare the stream processors the ATi cards to that of the 8800GTX's. Case in point...R600XT Scores 12K in 3DMark06. So how is that it only scored slightly better, but had over 200 more stream processors? Since everyone is new this design we don't know whether the stream processors are clocked lower or they have a smaller effect on performance than originally believed.

crazypyro

Distinguished
Mar 4, 2006
Well according to FUDZilla (not even going to link it, its that credible :p )

the 2900 XT HD (GDDR3 512mb, 800mhz core) running the newest 8.361 drivers, its 10%-17% faster than the 8800GTX

take it with a dump truck load of salt, FUDZilla said it without proof

NamelessMC

Distinguished
Nov 27, 2005
You can't compare the stream processors the ATi cards to that of the 8800GTX's. Case in point...R600XT Scores 12K in 3DMark06. So how is that it only scored slightly better, but had over 200 more stream processors? Since everyone is new this design we don't know whether the stream processors are clocked lower or they have a smaller effect on performance than originally believed.

That's because the ATI has 320 stream shaders, but the G80 has 128 unified physical shaders and a higher core clock.

What the R600 really has are 64 unified shaders that run up to 5 operations per clock faster than Nvidia's unified shaders.

The problem is, performance like that is to software/application dependent. What you will realistically see is some games running 100% faster on Nvidia and some games running 25% faster on ATI. Why? Because when an application doesn't utilize the faster shader architecture, Nvidia has the brute force unified shaders combined with core clock to destroy ATI's 64 shaders. But even when applications DO utilize the more operations per clock cycle, they can only yield about 17% more performance than the 8800GTX because of the 8800GTX's brute power.

This is probably why ATI has so many non disclosure acts all over their R600's. Notice some people say, "We sometimes see a 17% performance gain on the 8800GTX" and they also sometimes say "But in other games this gain isn't seen".

Flip a coin, heads = your game will be Nvidia optimized, tails = your game will be ATI optimized.

Mike995

Distinguished
Mar 14, 2006
I personally dont even look at 3d mark scores, they are bogus. But I do agree with you. I doubt the stream processors will be as powerful/efficient as nVidias. I personally think that we will all really have to wait to see what these cards perform like in DirectX10 games. That will be the deciding factor for me. The unified shader archetectures of both of these cards should really shine under DX10.
Sorry for the grammar mistakes.... I went to bed at 1 and got up at 6..not fun.

NamelessMC

Distinguished
Nov 27, 2005
I personally dont even look at 3d mark scores, they are bogus. But I do agree with you. I doubt the stream processors will be as powerful/efficient as nVidias. I personally think that we will all really have to wait to see what these cards perform like in DirectX10 games. That will be the deciding factor for me. The unified shader archetectures of both of these cards should really shine under DX10.

We're going to see Doom 3 engine/Oblivion all over again.

Basically, because both companies are utilizing such a contrasting architecture in their cards, it will depend on the games on which card performs better or not.

Think of it this way, if a game favors neither and isn't optimized one way or another, you'll see the 8800GTX really shine because that's the kind of card it is, a brute power house.

If a game is optimized to utilize complicated shader architecture, you'll see Oblivion all over again, ATI favored across the board.

So we're in a situation where we won't see which cards are better for the next year or so, and by then why would you buy an 8800GTX or 2900XTX when you can get a 9000GTX or 3000XTX?

NamelessMC

Distinguished
Nov 27, 2005
and this is coming from someone running a pentiumD :lol:

What does that have to do with anything?

I buy what's needed for me, not what's on the latest cover of PC gamer magazine.

Wanna know what game I play? Counter Strike: Source.

Oblivion is boring, Flight Simulators are for nerds, Neverwinter Nights sucks, Need for Speed is about as realistic as Mario Kart and about as fun as sparring with Bernard Hopkins, Crysis is going to be a flop.

Why do I need a Core 2 Duo and an 8800GTS in order to discuss hardware?

Fine, if it suits you better, here are the specs for me and my friends' tester rig. We each pitch in $150-200 each to build a rig for benchmarking and having fun with-

E6600 at 3.6
Biostar TForce 965PT (We have a Commando sitting around but we really have no reason to use it, my friend bought it with his own money so we'll probably use it for his build)
2 GB of G.Skill HK ram (We were gonna use HZ for Micron D9 but why when binned HK over-clock to 1100 all the same)
2x WD 160 caviar in Raid 0
1x Seagate Barracuda 7200.10 250
EVGA 8800GTS 320 (We sold our 640 to get the 320 since our monitor is a 19 wide)
Thermaltake Armor full tower (We had an Antec 900 but it was a complete pain to install with)

All on Windows XP Professional SP2. We have a Vista on the Seagate partition but we don't ever use it. We've had nothing but problems with our 8800GTS and Vista.

If you're interested, we already broke 10k on 3d06.