Zalman northbridge cooler VS GA965P stock cooler?

03flat4

Distinguished
Jun 12, 2006
Zalman ZM-NB47J northbridge heatsink VS Gigabyte heatsink on my GA965P-DS3. I can't find online which cools better? I have the zalman, but haven't cracked it open to use yet. If the one on the mobo works fine when I OC my E4300 to 3.2 ghz ish, I won't bother. any ideas?

i have that on an older board(k8v se dlx, and boy was it overkill :) ). It works great but the gigabyte one has almost the same surface area. if you are set on Zalman try the ZM-NBF47.
zm_nbf47_eng.jpg

a good balance of performance and looks :)

03flat4

Distinguished
Jun 12, 2006
is there a way to check northbridge temp for safe operating temp? so far I have been only looking at the ati temps under ati tool and the various cpu temps...is there much need for mosfet cooling for me? if this giga nb hs I have is sufficient I guess ill just ebay away the zalman lol...or save it for a future crappy n on another mobo :)

windex

Distinguished
Feb 24, 2007
zalman is ok but its no real performer if you want the best performance get the Noctua NCU-6,

Look are cool but performance is better also remeber the zalman is aluminum with powder blue coating how ever the Noctua is a solid Cooper base with heatpipe technology witch is the best in cooling. Also if you want to add a fan you do it with the Noctua the Zalman it's not possible.

windex

Distinguished
Feb 24, 2007
Im not obsesed and someone is spellled someone not sumone.

I just simply shop where i fell comfortable and can find the best products and sevice and Acoustic PC hade done right by me so would you prfer me to recomend a shop that ive had problems with in the past like sidewinder computers.

Ive been a pc enthusiast for along time and i indulge alot of money into it and i have never seen a shop that carries such high quality products as Acoustic PC AND THERE SEVICE IS OUSTANDING they always shipp on time.

I only wished they carried more variety of mother boards and hard drives but they have explained to me they are really a pc cooling products shop and they only carry a few high end vga card , mobos, and hard disk.

as far as new egg im tiered of returning products they sell i belive they are selling oem returns and refurbished items.

Also with Acoustic PC the advice they can give you will save you $$$

rammedstein

Distinguished
Jun 5, 2006
the best cooling solution is a giant copper block for CPU and NB, it is hollow and filled with Liquid N2, need to top it up all the time though, but he, at least it performs well and is quiet. on a more serious note, nb has a max threshold of 120, anything over that and its probably going to break. i can't remember the name of the program i keep seeing people use to monitor the nb... damn. yeah, the noctua is very good, i don't use it, but that is because my case has good enough airflow for the passive one on my board.

if you want to be technical about it aluminum removes(dissipates) heat faster. coper absorbs it faster, thus the reason designs like the arctic cooling freezer and other aluminum/coper heatsinks work so well at a acceptable weight. And we are talking about a north bridge here. The full out copper is overkill here.

As for cool, i was just stating that it did look cool, i never buy just for cool and always buy for performance/price. That Zalman would handle all the overclocking the board could give it. hell the stock with a 40mm fan would do well too if noise was not an issue

03flat4

Distinguished
Jun 12, 2006
Thanks for all your comments people. The more I read, the more that I find out that if I am not extreme overclocking, then changing out the NB HS really is a moot point huh? I have decided to go for water cooling on my CPU, and keep the gigabyte NB HS on there. wish me luck. I just got the Swiftech H20-120 PREMIUM CPU Liquid Cooling Kit from newegg, since this is my first rodeo with water cooling, figured I can learn with this, and go from there :)

windex

Distinguished
Feb 24, 2007
im going to have to disagree with you on the aluminum and copper thing there is a reason why cpu cooler manufactures use the more expensive copper materilal.

Silver is the best heatdisapater but is to expensive so thats why Arctic Silver is used Copper is the second best and then aluminum notice how zalman gets better temp readings on there copper heatsinks over there aluminum or aluminu copper modles its clear why pepole pay more for copper it does a better job.

also aluminum retains the heat more.

and overkill is never bad the cooler the better and even more so if you are overclocking.

and if your not overclocking your components will last longer and run stable specially if the machine is always on.

If you do not buy for looks i suggest you stay away from the pretty blue Zalman heatsink the only thing it's good for is quiet.