Sign in with
Your question

ABIT AB9 Pro.

Last response: in Overclocking
April 13, 2007 5:19:26 AM

Is it any good for OCing a E4300,E6300 or E6400?

How far can i get approximately?

More about : abit ab9 pro

a b V Motherboard
a b K Overclocking
April 13, 2007 6:19:07 AM

Tom's Hardware Guide used it in an overclocking project, it did good.
April 13, 2007 7:07:46 AM

this board has a very good OC potential..you can take a e6600 to 3,6 ghz provided that you have a good cooler and memory
Related resources
April 13, 2007 4:16:06 PM

with early BIOS it was OK but not the best but 450-460 now seems reasonably common with later BIOS.

The QuadGT on the other hand is a flying machine with over 500fsb easily possible (assuming that the rest of your components are up to it).

1 thing that differentiates the AB9 series is that they stay on the 1067 strap over 400fsb whereas most other 965s switch to the looser (& lesser performing) 1333.
April 13, 2007 10:15:08 PM

If i had decent air cooling,good RAM and a up-to-date BIOS,how far can i get a E4300 to?

Btw the reason why i ain't getting a gigabyte DS3 or something like that is because i'm buying from some local places and they don't have it.
a b V Motherboard
a b K Overclocking
April 13, 2007 11:03:41 PM

E4300 has a 9x multiplier, at FSB1066 (266MHz bus) it would be 2.4GHz...at FSB1600 (400MHz bus) the E4300 would be 100% overclocked and 3.6GHz. The board tops out around 460MHz, which is WAY beyond the overclock-abilities of the E4300.
April 13, 2007 11:27:48 PM

One guy over at the Abit forums managed approx 535mhz FSB with the aid of water cooling and a cold Norwegian day. He used an E6300 from memory.
a b V Motherboard
a b K Overclocking
April 14, 2007 12:24:14 AM

That beets me, I think the best I got from the board was 472
April 14, 2007 12:46:43 AM

I dug out the thread where he shows how he got there (fsb), might be of interest to some. Though the move to Norway may be a little extreme for most :)  Link
April 14, 2007 2:51:56 AM

No thanks,if i had the money to move to norway,i wouldn't even be here posting,i would have a mansion,a ferrari and several super computers :p 

With the latest BIOS update,it can reach 460 FSB,but of course very few if any E4300's ever got that high stable 24/7.
April 14, 2007 3:47:48 AM

Quote:

It OC's nicely, probably get higher if there were higher MCH voltage settings. I notice other mobos can do better than 1.45v. I think that's the limiting factor.

I would like to see evidence of a few people getting 3.6 ghz out of an E4300. Last I saw, it was iffy above 3.2 ghz.
April 14, 2007 4:25:29 AM

The OC in my sig took me about 10 minutes to finalize other than torture testing. The board does good!

P.S. Get an E6420 when they release in the comming weeks and take it to 3.2ghz! 400mhz FSB x 8 multi and set ram to 1:1 running @ 800mhz...thats what I would do.

Best,

3Ball
April 14, 2007 7:45:37 PM

Quote:

It OC's nicely, probably get higher if there were higher MCH voltage settings. I notice other mobos can do better than 1.45v. I think that's the limiting factor.

I would like to see evidence of a few people getting 3.6 ghz out of an E4300. Last I saw, it was iffy above 3.2 ghz.
3.6GHz Allendale

Is that good enough proof?

Btw,i have two more questions.

1.Would a E4300 @ 3.6GHz with 8x450 multiplier outperform another E4300 with a 9x400 multiplier since it has a higher FSB?

2.I heard the extra L2 cache in the E6420 helps in OCing,is this true?
April 14, 2007 9:31:20 PM

1.) The E4300 with the 400mhz FSB would be my choice because the FSB wont help much and it will be much less stressfull on your motherboard. Also Remember that you will need good cooling for the 3.6ghz!

2.) not sure if the 4mb of cahce will help with OC'ing, I would assume not...but it will help with overall performance.

My choice betweent the 2 would be the E6420 @ 3.2ghz with Air cooling such as Arctic freezer 7 pro, that is the cooler I have and it is very cheap and effective. I am personally waiting on the 2.13ghz 8mb cache quad core to drop into my board when it is around $266 or so, which I will be taking to 3.2ghz. Hope this helps!

Best,

3Ball
April 14, 2007 10:33:14 PM

Quote:
1.) The E4300 with the 400mhz FSB would be my choice because the FSB wont help much and it will be much less stressfull on your motherboard. Also Remember that you will need good cooling for the 3.6ghz!

2.) not sure if the 4mb of cahce will help with OC'ing, I would assume not...but it will help with overall performance.

My choice betweent the 2 would be the E6420 @ 3.2ghz with Air cooling such as Arctic freezer 7 pro, that is the cooler I have and it is very cheap and effective. I am personally waiting on the 2.13ghz 8mb cache quad core to drop into my board when it is around $266 or so, which I will be taking to 3.2ghz. Hope this helps!

Best,

3Ball
There isn't gonna be a Q6400,unless you're reffering to the 2.4GHz Q6600 perhaps?

Btw have you seen the E6320's and E6420's on sale @ tigerdirect?
April 15, 2007 3:51:07 AM

Did they cancel the Q6400 or something? and no I havent seen the ones at tiger direct. They arent suppose to be out till the 22nd, so they may be overpriced. Im goin to check them out right now! Thx for the info.

Best,

3Ball
April 15, 2007 3:53:10 AM

Yea they are abit higher than there 2mb cache counterparts, but they will go down at the price cut time as well im sure. Interesting enough to see them on there now, nice find!

Best,

3Ball
a b K Overclocking
April 15, 2007 5:07:25 AM

The board still suffers from BIOS issues unfortunately. The well known '2A' POST code likes to pop up on occasion, and there is no description of it in the manual or on the ABIT site.
April 15, 2007 6:40:00 AM

Drop your multi to 8x, run your FSB @ 400mhz, set your mem to 1:1 divider and then possibly lower some of those 5's to 4's for the memory timings, test for stability now having 1600mhz FSB, 3.2ghz and 800memory with slightly lower times or set it to the divider one above that and see if your mem gets up to its rated speed. Burn in with prime95 12+ hour. Do that, and you will see a performance increase...do it not, and you will have your stock performance and a slight feeling of shame...lol jp man, but it is what I would do! Though you may not be bottlenecking you video card with your CPU how it is now, and sure your max frames may only go up 1 - 5 fps, but it is your min frames you should look it. Your min frames should be boosted upward...thus making your average frames go up. Consitant gaming is much better than very high frames in a benchmark test anyday. Remember that sinking you memory and FSB speeds are more important than the timing for intel's FSB, so that is why I suggest the 1 to 1 divider and getting the mem to sink up with the higher FSB and then the CPU speed is always nice. The lower timings you may achieve are but a plus side to the whole equation...gl with whatever you do. If you do this, you will not need to mess with your CPU for a while if you can manage decent temps with low to mid volts! Happy OC'ing

Best,

3Ball
April 15, 2007 7:16:32 AM

Quote:
Drop your multi to 8x, run your FSB @ 400mhz, set your mem to 1:1 divider and then possibly lower some of those 5's to 4's for the memory timings, test for stability now having 1600mhz FSB, 3.2ghz and 800memory with slightly lower times or set it to the divider one above that and see if your mem gets up to its rated speed. Burn in with prime95 12+ hour. Do that, and you will see a performance increase...do it not, and you will have your stock performance and a slight feeling of shame...lol jp man, but it is what I would do! Though you may not be bottlenecking you video card with your CPU how it is now, and sure your max frames may only go up 1 - 5 fps, but it is your min frames you should look it. Your min frames should be boosted upward...thus making your average frames go up. Consitant gaming is much better than very high frames in a benchmark test anyday. Remember that sinking you memory and FSB speeds are more important than the timing for intel's FSB, so that is why I suggest the 1 to 1 divider and getting the mem to sink up with the higher FSB and then the CPU speed is always nice. The lower timings you may achieve are but a plus side to the whole equation...gl with whatever you do. If you do this, you will not need to mess with your CPU for a while if you can manage decent temps with low to mid volts! Happy OC'ing

Best,

3Ball

Yeah, sounds great, a faster fsb and lower memory timings, but i'm new at this, so you'll have to slow it down for me. Which memory timings should i put at 4? There are many. I know nothing of prime95, i don't run benchmarks. I'm going to restart and try 1:1 mem divider, if i can find it in the bios and set my multi down & fsb change. brb.
April 15, 2007 7:34:57 AM

Ok, I changed my memory timing to ddr 533 instead of ddr800? which is the 1:1 timing. temp is fine, probably kicked up a degree celcius, not sure if any difference was made. My bios screen boots at 3.2 and xp tells me it's still at 2.39 ghz. I've seen my memory timings (5 of them plus command something). I'll read up further.
April 15, 2007 7:55:50 AM

question on ram timings, should i put it at ddr2-533 1:1 or ddr2-800 2:3?

i see cas latency time tCL
ras to cas delay tRCD
RAS precharge tRP
Precharge Dealy tRAS
command rate
refresh cycle time tRFC

I duno where to put my 4s.
April 15, 2007 9:00:05 AM

I have this board and got my E6400 to 3.2Ghz with it.
April 15, 2007 9:14:33 AM

run CPU-z and look at your memory timings and then the ones that say 5's turn to 4's, you need to do this slowly, try one each time and then restart the comp, and make sure u boot. then do the other, repeat as nessasary. note that if your comp no longer does boot then refer to your manual and find the jumper to reset your bios manually, its very easy i have done it several times. Also make sure to monitor your temps with Core Temp.

Best,

3Ball
April 15, 2007 9:16:58 AM

the reason for you not getting 3.2ghz in bios is because u are jumping 2 far to fast with the fsb speed, you need to bump up your CPU vcore to around 1.4v and set the MCH voltage to 1.4v as well then bump up the FSB is 15 - 25mhz incraments and then boot up the comp, if u make it all the way there, then restart and repeat the process, make sure to save all settings in bios. you can find CPU-Z by googling it, it will be the first choice.
April 15, 2007 9:19:53 AM

Here is a very good guide for OC'ing much better than I will be able to explain with limited time! Just note that the setting that you finally want is the 8x mult with 400 fsb, so to get 3.2ghz exactly and sink your memory. Im not sure if it goes into those specifics in this quide, but it does help with stabalizing the final OC of your choice and helps with that you should do to monitor in some cases. There are more settings you need to change in your bios, that i do not know off of the top of my head, but you can find them in here...look for the things to disable from your cpu in the guide, that will help stabalize your OC. Hope this helps, I will check back later for any more questions you may have.

http://forumz.tomshardware.com/hardware/Core2Duo-Overcl...

Best,

3Ball
April 15, 2007 9:21:58 AM

Featherstone, I am trying to get him to use pretty much the same settings I am assuming you used for your 3.2ghz. So im sure you may be able to help out as well. He is dropping his mult to 8x so it is like the 6400, and running at 400mhz FSB to sink his mem at the same speed as his FSB and not take his clock to high so is to save heat and power. This is similar to your setup I would assume?

Also, for the one whom I am helping with the OC, here is a good temp guide to go along with the OC guide above: http://forumz.tomshardware.com/hardware/Core-Duo-Temper...

Best,

3Ball
April 15, 2007 9:31:24 AM

Since you asked about prime95, the link below is a GREAT guide on how to run 2 instance of it, which is something if you look at the OC guide above you will know is something you need to do. Note that it may take a couple of times for you to get both cores to sink up and they may not do it at exactly the same time, this is normal just give one slightly longer than the other and all will be well. Rememeber that you need this to run for 12+ hours with 0 errors and 0 warnings to be assured that your FINAL oc is stable and ready for use. you may run it for 1 - 2 hours to make incramentle voltage stages work currectly, I believe all of this is best described in the guide I showed you, im sure you will be fine. good luck and here it is!

http://www.diy-street.com/forum/showthread.php?t=16446

Best,

3Ball
a b V Motherboard
a b K Overclocking
April 15, 2007 9:43:06 AM

If XP says it's 2.39GHz, you've probably got Intel Enhanced Speed Stepping turned on. Find it in BIOS and turn it off if you wish.
April 15, 2007 6:07:57 PM

how do i run 2 instances of prime95 and where is toture mode?
April 15, 2007 6:19:56 PM

Follow the instructions on the link 2 posts above u!

Best,

3Ball
April 15, 2007 6:30:58 PM

You could use Orthos instead.
April 15, 2007 7:14:33 PM

This is true! May be easier, I have just always used prime.

Best,

3Ball
April 17, 2007 3:14:55 AM

I have this board and I have not had any successful attempts at ocing. I have tried everything i can think of. It will not post no matter what. Can anyone with this board give me the exact instructions on ocing this board. I have a C2D E6400. I oc'ed this processor to 3.2 with my asus no problem but cannot get this one to do anything. I've tried values that others have tried that worked for them but again couldn't post. Someone please help me. This is very frustrating.
April 17, 2007 4:15:26 AM

Ok i played with it a while and got it to post but now my os won't load so now i'm really getting frustrated anyone got any ideas wht my os won't load. the screen just goes black and stays that way. Grrrrr!
April 17, 2007 12:23:24 PM

was this OS a new install on the AB9 or carried over from the Asus (if so which exactly)?

A new mobo ideally means a new install or at least a repair install.
April 17, 2007 5:18:03 PM

You probably need to reset your jumper on your motherboard to reset your bios manually. The OC you tried may have been to much to handle, but not enough to cause a non boot. If you reset the bios in anyway I would bet it would fix the problem. If not then I agree with the above and it may need to just be reinstalled.

Best,

3Ball
April 19, 2007 8:45:57 PM

I don't know how but I got it figured out. I did a fresh install long before I tried oc'ing so I knew that couldn't be the problem so I just kept playing around with it. I got it to 3.0 and 3.2 stable but 3.2 was a little too hot for my taste so I just stuck with 3.0 it's all working fine did a 8 hour test of orthos and prime 95 without any problems. Thanks for your help. Much appreciated.
April 19, 2007 9:22:31 PM

NP, Have fun with it!

Best,

3Ball
April 19, 2007 9:39:16 PM

I left mine at 3 ghz too. How much did you step down your voltages? I am too impatient for redundant tests.
April 20, 2007 1:02:04 AM

The tests are what cause your voltage to be able to get lowered. You may get your proc stable at 1.4v and then try to lower it without running prime and when you lower even just one step it will be unstable, but if you run prime for an hour or 2 on 1.4 to lower to 1.375v it may then be stable and you restart the process over. Its just how it is done...OC'ing takes patients. I want to say I spend 36 - 48 hours solidifying my OC and the thing has been perfectly solit ever since no matter what conditions or power problems that have occured. Its worth it to run the redundant tests I promise. But to each his own I suppose...just given my 2 cents!

Best,

3Ball
April 20, 2007 4:10:57 AM

Quote:

3.6GHz Allendale

Is that good enough proof?

One link does not make the norm. Where's the info on what cooling was used?
!