  • Microsoft
  • Windows XP
Last response: in Windows XP
April 16, 2005 8:41:17 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win98.gen_discussion,microsoft.public.win98.setup,microsoft.public.windowsxp.basics,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support (More info?)

I have a registered copy of Win98SE and would like to migrate to WindowsXP
Pro. If I want to minimize the effort to make this transistion, what are my
best bets? Can I buy the upgrade version, or can I also upgrade using a
full featured version? Or does the full featured version mean I will have
to pretty much wipe out my harddrive and then start from scratch. Also, I
see many folks selling OEM versions, versus with or without the COE....isn't
the COE required before the program will be able to be registered, and
doesn't XP require registration before it will function?

Anyway, trying to sort thru my installation concerns and purchase options
(seem to be as many of those as Carter has pills). I don't mind saving
money, but I'd also like to be legal in the process.

TIA,

Rob

More about : upgrading pro

Anonymous
April 16, 2005 8:41:18 PM

In news:Neb8e.7750$sp3.6092@newsread3.news.atl.earthlink.net,
RJ <jackson@aol.com> typed:

> I have a registered copy of Win98SE and would like to migrate
> WindowsXP Pro. If I want to minimize the effort to make this
> transistion, what are my best bets? Can I buy the upgrade
> version,

Yes.

> or can I also upgrade using a full featured version?

The Full (retail) version can also do an upgrade. However it
costs more and contains exactly the same software as the Upgrade
version; only the installation routine and the rules for using it
differ (to do a clean installation with the upgrade version you
have to have a CD of a previous qualifying version). So if you
qualify to use the Upgrade version, buying the Full version would
be a waste of money.

> Or does the
> full featured version mean I will have to pretty much wipe out
> my
> harddrive and then start from scratch.

No. It will do either a clean installation or an upgrade.

> Also, I see many folks
> selling OEM versions, versus with or without the COE....isn't
> the COE
> required before the program will be able to be registered, and
> doesn't XP require registration before it will function?

You mean COA, not COE. If it comes without a COA, it's not a
legal version.

Note that it requires activation, not registration. Registration
is always completely optional. But you have to activate within 30
days of installation or it will cease to function except in safe
mode.

Note that the OEM version will *not* do an upgrade, just a clean
installation. Its license also ties it to the first machine it's
installed on, and it can never legally be sold, given away, or
moved to another machine. For that reason, and because it costs
only slightly less than an Upgrade version, I think it's a much
poorer deal.

> Anyway, trying to sort thru my installation concerns and
> purchase
> options (seem to be as many of those as Carter has pills). I
> don't
> mind saving money, but I'd also like to be legal in the
> process.

Clearly, you should buy an Upgrade version.

Please reply to the newsgroup
Anonymous
April 16, 2005 8:41:18 PM

RJ wrote:
> I have a registered copy of Win98SE and would like to migrate to WindowsXP
> Pro. If I want to minimize the effort to make this transistion, what are my
> best bets?

Some people will recommend that you perform a clean installation,
rather than upgrade over an earlier OS. For the most part, I feel that
these people, while well-meaning, are living in the past, and are basing
their recommendation on their experiences with older operating systems.
You'd probably save a lot of time by upgrading your PC to WinXP,
rather than performing a clean installation, if you've no hardware or
software incompatibilities. Microsoft has greatly improved (over earlier
versions of Windows) WinXP's ability to smoothly upgrade an earlier OS.

WinXP is designed to install and upgrade the existing operating
system while simultaneously preserving your applications and data, and
translating as many personalized settings as possible. The process is
designed to be, and normally is, quite painless. That said, things can
go wrong, in a small number of cases. If your data is at all important
to you, back it up before proceeding. And if, for some reason, the
upgrade doesn't pan out, you can always perform a clean installation later.

Have you made sure that your PC's hardware components are capable
of supporting WinXP? This information will be found at the PC's
manufacturer's web site, and on Microsoft's Windows Catalog:
(http://www.microsoft.com/whdc/hcl/default.mspx) Additionally, run
Microsoft WinXP Upgrade Advisor to see if you have any incompatible
hardware components or applications.

You should, before proceeding, take a few minutes to ensure that
there are WinXP device drivers available for all of the machine's
components. There may not be, if the PC was specifically designed for
Win98/Me. Also bear in mind that PCs designed for, sold and run fine
with Win9x/Me very often do not meet WinXP's much more stringent
hardware quality requirements. This is particularly true of many models
in Compaq's consumer-class Presario product line or HP's consumer-class
Pavilion product line. WinXP, like WinNT and Win2K before it, is quite
sensitive to borderline defective or substandard hardware (particularly
motherboards, RAM and hard drives) that will still support Win9x.

HOW TO Prepare to Upgrade Win98 or WinMe
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;Q316639

Upgrading to Windows XP
http://aumha.org/win5/a/xpupgrad.htm

> Can I buy the upgrade version, or can I also upgrade using a
> full featured version?

You can perform an upgrade from Win98 using either the WinXP Pro
Upgrade or the WinXP Pro Full Retail versions. It's even possible,
should it ever become necessary or desirable at some future time, to
perform a clean installation using the Upgrade CD. (The Upgrade CD
checks to see if a qualifying OS is installed, and, if it finds none,
asks you to insert the installation media (CD) of that earlier OS.
Unfortunately, an OEM "Recovery/Restore" CD will not work for this
purpose; you must have a true installation CD, complete with the
"\Win98" folder and *.cab files.) That being the case, the more
economical option would be to purchase an Upgrade license.

> Or does the full featured version mean I will have
> to pretty much wipe out my harddrive and then start from scratch.

Not unless you elect to further cut costs by purchasing an OEM license.
There are some very important reasons that an OEM license costs so
much less than a retail license. OEM licenses are very limited:

1) OEM versions must be sold with a piece of non-peripheral
hardware (normally a motherboard or hard drive, if not an entire PC,
although Microsoft has greatly relaxed the hardware criteria for WinXP)
and are _permanently_ bound to the first PC on which they are installed.
An OEM license, once installed, is not legally transferable to another
computer under any circumstances. This is the main reason some people
avoid OEM versions; if the PC dies or is otherwise disposed of (even
stolen), you cannot re-use your OEM license on a new PC. The only
legitimate way to transfer the ownership of an OEM license is to
transfer ownership of the entire PC.

2) Microsoft provides no free support for OEM versions. If you
have any problems that require outside assistance, your only recourse is
to contact the manufacturer/builder of the PC or the seller of the OEM
license. This would include such issues as lost a Product Key or
replacing a damaged installation CD. (Microsoft does some make
allowances for those instances when you can prove that the OEM has gone
out of business.) This doesn't mean that you can't download patches and
service packs from Microsoft -- just no free telephone or email support
for problems with the OS.

3) An OEM CD cannot be used to perform an upgrade of an earlier
OS, as it was designed to be installed _only_ upon an empty hard drive.
It can still be used to perform a repair installation (a.k.a. an
in-place upgrade) of an existing WinXP installation.

4) If the OEM CD was designed by a specific manufacturer, such as
eMachines, Sony, Dell, Gateway, etc., it will most likely only install
on the same brand of PC, as an additional anti-piracy feature. Further,
such CDs are severely customized to contain only the minimum of device
drivers, and a lot of extra nonsense, that the manufacturer feels
necessary for the specific model of PC for which the CD was designed.
(To be honest, such CDs should _not_ be available on the open market;
but, if you're shopping someplace on-line like eBay, swap meets, or
computer fairs, there's often no telling what you're buying until it's
too late.) The "generic" OEM CDs, such as are manufactured by Microsoft
and sold to small systems builders, don't have this particular problem,
though, and are pretty much the same as their retail counterparts, apart
from the licensing, support, and upgrading restrictions.

> Also, I
> see many folks selling OEM versions, versus with or without the COE....isn't
> the COE required before the program will be able to be registered, and
> doesn't XP require registration before it will function?

Correct, in essence, although it's "Activation" that's required;
registration is entirely optional. If you see someone selling an OEM CD
without the CoA and Product Key, all they're really selling is a rather
over-priced, non-absorbent coaster. No CoA and Product Key = No
License. The CD by itself is useless. If you're shopping on eBay, be
very careful, as eBay makes no prior effort to ensure that such sales
are legitimate; they react only when someone files a complaint. (And
then all that really happens is the seller of the pirated software
returns using a different alias, to continue selling illegitimate copies.)

--

Bruce Chambers

Help us help you:
http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm

both at once. - RAH
Related resources
Can't find your answer ? Ask !
Anonymous
April 16, 2005 8:41:18 PM

Archived from groups: public.windowsxp.basics,microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support (More info?)

Hi RJ,

There is no need to cross post to this many newsgroups.

Cross posting trimmed.

Your best bet is to take a look at this article before proceeding.

Upgrading to Windows XP By Gary Woodruff MS-MVP:
http://www.aumha.org/a/xpupgradz.htm

--
Regards,
Bert Kinney MS-MVP Shell/User

RJ wrote:
> I have a registered copy of Win98SE and would like to
> migrate to WindowsXP Pro. If I want to minimize the
> effort to make this transistion, what are my best bets?
> Can I buy the upgrade version, or can I also upgrade
> using a full featured version? Or does the full featured
> version mean I will have to pretty much wipe out my
> harddrive and then start from scratch. Also, I see many
> folks selling OEM versions, versus with or without the
> COE....isn't the COE required before the program will be
> able to be registered, and doesn't XP require
> registration before it will function?
>
> Anyway, trying to sort thru my installation concerns and
> purchase options (seem to be as many of those as Carter
> has pills). I don't mind saving money, but I'd also like
> to be legal in the process.
>
> TIA,
>
> Rob
April 16, 2005 8:41:19 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win98.gen_discussion,microsoft.public.win98.setup,microsoft.public.windowsxp.basics,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support (More info?)

Given Bruce's extensive material regarding the 'caveats' of upgrading etc etc
etc etc.

The basic answer to your question is:

1. You can purchase a full retail version of XP and install it over the top
of your 98 and not loose any applications or files [subject to caveats and
etcs as in the bible of Bruce]. There are 2 versions - XP Pro [most money]
or XP Home [less money]

2. You qualify to use a Windows XP Pro Upgrade version [less money than
either of 1.] and install it as an upgrade to your 98 and not loose any
applications or files. It runs under 98 [just as any other application
installation would - but also provides an option to check for compatibility
etc - as Bruce says: run this to be safe].

3. You may also qualify to use a Windows XP Upgarde Academic Edition [least
expensive option of all] and install it as an upgrade to your 98 and not
loose any applications or files. It runs under 98 [just as any other
application installation would - but also provides an option to check for
compatibility etc - as Bruce says: run this to be safe]. This is effectively
the same as 2 but has a price advantage for the academic community or members
/ participants thereof.

"Bruce Chambers" wrote:

> [...]
>

> > Also, I
> > see many folks selling OEM versions, versus with or without the COE....isn't
> > the COE required before the program will be able to be registered, and
> > doesn't XP require registration before it will function?
> >

> Correct, in essence, although it's "Activation" that's required;
> registration is entirely optional. If you see someone selling an OEM CD
> without the CoA and Product Key, all they're really selling is a rather
> over-priced, non-absorbent coaster. No CoA and Product Key = No
> License. The CD by itself is useless. If you're shopping on eBay, be
> very careful, as eBay makes no prior effort to ensure that such sales
> are legitimate; they react only when someone files a complaint. (And
> then all that really happens is the seller of the pirated software
> returns using a different alias, to continue selling illegitimate copies.)

Anonymous
April 17, 2005 3:13:21 AM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win98.gen_discussion,microsoft.public.win98.setup,microsoft.public.windowsxp.basics,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support (More info?)

You cannot upgrade using an OEM version. It simply will not work. You can
upgrade using either an upgrade version or a full retail version. Check here
for some basic tips that can ease the upgrade
http://www.webtree.ca/windowsxp/upgrade_tips.htm

--

Harry Ohrn MS-MVP [Shell/User]
www.webtree.ca/windowsxp

"RJ" <jackson@aol.com> wrote in message
> I have a registered copy of Win98SE and would like to migrate to WindowsXP
> Pro. If I want to minimize the effort to make this transistion, what are
my
> best bets? Can I buy the upgrade version, or can I also upgrade using a
> full featured version? Or does the full featured version mean I will have
> to pretty much wipe out my harddrive and then start from scratch. Also, I
> see many folks selling OEM versions, versus with or without the
COE....isn't
> the COE required before the program will be able to be registered, and
> doesn't XP require registration before it will function?
>
> Anyway, trying to sort thru my installation concerns and purchase options
> (seem to be as many of those as Carter has pills). I don't mind saving
> money, but I'd also like to be legal in the process.
>
> TIA,
>
> Rob

April 18, 2005 9:36:04 AM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win98.gen_discussion,microsoft.public.win98.setup,microsoft.public.windowsxp.basics,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general (More info?)

LOL, you want to go to the Not There aka New Technology source code, RJ --
well have fun with XP PRO. SP2 and all its frustrations and remember your
information is less secure there than in 98SE with ZA PRO. with antivirus and
SpySweeper by Webroot. Be seeing you back here in a while when all the
services and other junk frustrate the H_LL out of you and you come wandering
back to 98SE.

"RJ" wrote:

> I have a registered copy of Win98SE and would like to migrate to WindowsXP
> Pro. If I want to minimize the effort to make this transistion, what are my
> best bets? Can I buy the upgrade version, or can I also upgrade using a
> full featured version? Or does the full featured version mean I will have
> to pretty much wipe out my harddrive and then start from scratch. Also, I
> see many folks selling OEM versions, versus with or without the COE....isn't
> the COE required before the program will be able to be registered, and
> doesn't XP require registration before it will function?
>
> Anyway, trying to sort thru my installation concerns and purchase options
> (seem to be as many of those as Carter has pills). I don't mind saving
> money, but I'd also like to be legal in the process.
>
> TIA,
>
> Rob

April 18, 2005 9:39:03 AM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win98.gen_discussion,microsoft.public.win98.setup,microsoft.public.windowsxp.basics,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general (More info?)

So in reality, Ken Blake, the only reason for the full version to me is for
convience and the ease of a full install that does not have the garbage that
is constantly spewed out over the Internet through adware, spyware, viruses,
trojans and other baddies. It also saves time and time is money to me
because life is passing away too quickly.

"Ken Blake" wrote:

> In news:Neb8e.7750$sp3.6092@newsread3.news.atl.earthlink.net,
> RJ <jackson@aol.com> typed:
>
> > I have a registered copy of Win98SE and would like to migrate
> > WindowsXP Pro. If I want to minimize the effort to make this
> > transistion, what are my best bets? Can I buy the upgrade
> > version,
>

> Yes.
>

> > or can I also upgrade using a full featured version?
>

> The Full (retail) version can also do an upgrade. However it
> costs more and contains exactly the same software as the Upgrade
> version; only the installation routine and the rules for using it
> differ (to do a clean installation with the upgrade version you
> have to have a CD of a previous qualifying version). So if you
> qualify to use the Upgrade version, buying the Full version would
> be a waste of money.
>

> > Or does the
> > full featured version mean I will have to pretty much wipe out
> > my
> > harddrive and then start from scratch.
>

> No. It will do either a clean installation or an upgrade.
>

> > Also, I see many folks
> > selling OEM versions, versus with or without the COE....isn't
> > the COE
> > required before the program will be able to be registered, and
> > doesn't XP require registration before it will function?
>

> You mean COA, not COE. If it comes without a COA, it's not a
> legal version.
>
> Note that it requires activation, not registration. Registration
> is always completely optional. But you have to activate within 30
> days of installation or it will cease to function except in safe
> mode.
>
> Note that the OEM version will *not* do an upgrade, just a clean
> installation. Its license also ties it to the first machine it's
> installed on, and it can never legally be sold, given away, or
> moved to another machine. For that reason, and because it costs
> only slightly less than an Upgrade version, I think it's a much
> poorer deal.
>

> > Anyway, trying to sort thru my installation concerns and
> > purchase
> > options (seem to be as many of those as Carter has pills). I
> > don't
> > mind saving money, but I'd also like to be legal in the
> > process.
>

> Clearly, you should buy an Upgrade version.

> Please reply to the newsgroup

April 18, 2005 9:40:01 AM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win98.gen_discussion,microsoft.public.win98.setup,microsoft.public.windowsxp.basics,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general (More info?)

Yes, in my opinion, a clean installation is the only way to go and that is
why I like Full Retail copies and also see my comments to Ken Blake.

"Bruce Chambers" wrote:

> [...]
>

> > Also, I
> > see many folks selling OEM versions, versus with or without the COE....isn't
> > the COE required before the program will be able to be registered, and
> > doesn't XP require registration before it will function?
> >

> Correct, in essence, although it's "Activation" that's required;
> registration is entirely optional. If you see someone selling an OEM CD
> without the CoA and Product Key, all they're really selling is a rather
> over-priced, non-absorbent coaster. No CoA and Product Key = No
> License. The CD by itself is useless. If you're shopping on eBay, be
> very careful, as eBay makes no prior effort to ensure that such sales
> are legitimate; they react only when someone files a complaint. (And
> then all that really happens is the seller of the pirated software
> returns using a different alias, to continue selling illegitimate copies.)

April 18, 2005 9:41:02 AM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win98.gen_discussion,microsoft.public.win98.setup,microsoft.public.windowsxp.basics,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general (More info?)

What about Windows Virtual Machine. I have read about it and it sounds
really intriguing but I have not tried it. Does it really work as
advertised, MVP's? <???>

"BAR" wrote:

> [...]
> > >

> > Correct, in essence, although it's "Activation" that's required;
> > registration is entirely optional. If you see someone selling an OEM CD
> > without the CoA and Product Key, all they're really selling is a rather
> > over-priced, non-absorbent coaster. No CoA and Product Key = No
> > License. The CD by itself is useless. If you're shopping on eBay, be
> > very careful, as eBay makes no prior effort to ensure that such sales
> > are legitimate; they react only when someone files a complaint. (And
> > then all that really happens is the seller of the pirated software
> > returns using a different alias, to continue selling illegitimate copies.)
> >

> > --
> >
> > Bruce Chambers
> >
> > Help us help you:
> > http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm
> >
> > You can have peace. Or you can have freedom. Don't ever count on having

April 18, 2005 9:46:05 AM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win98.gen_discussion,microsoft.public.win98.setup,microsoft.public.windowsxp.basics,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general (More info?)

Exactly, OEM (Original Equipment Machine) as compared to Retail version (the
best choice for full Microsoft support)

Remember, Microsoft is Closed source except in the fact that parts of NT
(Not There aka New Technology) have leaked over the Internet and this makes
XP PRO. SP2 even less secure than 98SE behind ZA PRO. with antivirus and with
Webroot's Spysweeper in my opinion. Remember my XP PRO. SP2 was hacked and I
got a hit from the government of China that was 17,850 and above a 1,000 is a
hack -- my PC with confidential source code testing for the U.S. federal
government and for Microsoft currently resides unplugged on the floor due to
hightened security alerts from hackers that have hacked into and continue to
hack into companies to steal information and due to the theft of my social
security card with my social security number on it. Have a nice day!

"Harry Ohrn" wrote:

> You cannot upgrade using an OEM version. It simply will not work. You can
> upgrade using either an upgrade version or a full retail version. Check here
> for some basic tips that can ease the upgrade
> http://www.webtree.ca/windowsxp/upgrade_tips.htm
>
> --
>
> Harry Ohrn MS-MVP [Shell/User]
> www.webtree.ca/windowsxp
>

> "RJ" <jackson@aol.com> wrote in message
> > I have a registered copy of Win98SE and would like to migrate to WindowsXP
> > Pro. If I want to minimize the effort to make this transistion, what are
> my
> > best bets? Can I buy the upgrade version, or can I also upgrade using a
> > full featured version? Or does the full featured version mean I will have
> > to pretty much wipe out my harddrive and then start from scratch. Also, I
> > see many folks selling OEM versions, versus with or without the
> COE....isn't
> > the COE required before the program will be able to be registered, and
> > doesn't XP require registration before it will function?
> >
> > Anyway, trying to sort thru my installation concerns and purchase options
> > (seem to be as many of those as Carter has pills). I don't mind saving
> > money, but I'd also like to be legal in the process.
> >
> > TIA,
> >
> > Rob

Anonymous
April 18, 2005 3:09:08 PM

In news:6D9FF8E3-CA99-46C4-8C62-7BA3D1684427@microsoft.com,
Dan <Dan@discussions.microsoft.com> typed:

> Yes, in my opinion, a clean installation is the only way to go

You are welcome to that opinion. As you know I completely
disagree with it, as do many others whose opinions I respect.

> and
> that is why I like Full Retail copies

But regardless of whether you prefer clean installations or
upgrades, buying a Full version when you qualify for an Upgrade
is simply a substantial waste of money. As I said in the other
message in this thread to which you responded, you *can* do a
clean installation with with the Upgrade version; the requirement
is to *own* a previous qualifying version, not necessarily to
have it installed. The Upgrade version contains exactly the same
software as the Full version; only the installation routine and
> [...]

>> Product
>> Key = No
>> License. The CD by itself is useless. If you're shopping on
>> eBay,
>> be very careful, as eBay makes no prior effort to ensure that
>> such
>> sales
>> are legitimate; they react only when someone files a
>> complaint. (And
>> then all that really happens is the seller of the pirated
>> software
>> returns using a different alias, to continue selling
>> illegitimate
>> copies.)
>>

>> --
>>
>> Bruce Chambers
>>
>> Help us help you:
>> http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm
>>
>> You can have peace. Or you can have freedom. Don't ever count
Anonymous
April 18, 2005 10:46:19 PM

Dan wrote:
> Yes, in my opinion, a clean installation is the only way to go and that is
> why I like Full Retail copies and also see my comments to Ken Blake.

You mean the one that made absolutely no sense? It didn't even seem
relevant to the discussion at hand, as your having deliberately
installed adware and spyware has *nothing* to do with whether or not the
OS was installed via upgrade or clean installation.

--

Bruce Chambers

Help us help you:
http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm