Cry Cry Cry I BrOkE mY RaM StIcK

tehrobzorz

Distinguished
Jul 30, 2006
omgomgomg sobb..

my muskin ram thingos ddnt come with heatspreaders.. so i bought a pair and put them on.. now.. 6 months later i found a better pair so i decided to pull tem off and put on the new ones.. I Managed to get one of them off ( by utterly destroying the aluminium thing) but the second one.. i just couldnt get off. so i got my dad ( all mighty and powerful :roll: ) to help me.. he bent the metal pretty easily until SNAP. i looked around and f*!$% 3 mem chips came off the pcb along with the heat spreader.. so now im freking stuck with 1gig of ram that has no warranty ( becuase the stickker got destroyed when i pulled the thingo off) and 1 broken ramstick that wouldnt work without its 3 extra chips// IM SOO SADDDD OMG.

one question.. ive managed to put the thing back together.. would the ram still work even tho the connectors on the pcb isnt fully in touch? ive managed to put the heat spreader the way it was back on.. meaning the chips must align with the connetors? should i try or scrap the 1gb for my next budget build ?am i risking my $300 mobo? becuase ram prices have dropped so much im wondering wheter to just get another dual channel kit..

i can get OCZ 2gb kit pc6400 gold for $345 or
2gb kingston 667 for $162
2gb corsair 667 value..

THIS IS A LOESSON TO ALL YOU WHO MIGHT DO THIS IN THE FUTUREEE
dnt follow in my steps..

and to think that i bought that kit last year for a whopping $350 !$!!$%

Howard_Stern

Distinguished
Aug 15, 2006
Sorry bud. I don't know if it will work but I wouldn't try. I'd take my loss with the ram and buy a new ram kit. It would really suck breaking your RAM and they messing up your mb.

Once again, my empathy has no bounds.

Collector619

Distinguished
Mar 22, 2007
YOU SHOULD TRY .. if all is connected ... the circuits , and the inegrated circuits arent damaged , its OK .. but ... you could have a big BUM!

orangegator

Distinguished
Mar 30, 2007
You're kidding, right? You ripped off three chips from the ram and think it has a chance of working? Come on. Best case is nothing happens and it's not recognized. More likely is you will fry your motherboard and other components. Use common sense.

fishboi

Distinguished
Apr 25, 2006
If you drop them, sometimes they wont work. Ripping parts off, well thats a no-brainer. Whether you should gamble and try them, I cannot make that call. Probably not worth the risk.

Take them to a COMPUSA and ask them to test them for $20. Try them on their PCs - they have insurance and cheap parts etc.

tehrobzorz

Distinguished
Jul 30, 2006
but if the metal connections are touching it should technically work? cause it will still conduct !

theres no crying emoticon :evil:

[edit] oh and theres no compusa here .. i live in australia ><

orangegator

Distinguished
Mar 30, 2007
but if the metal connections are touching it should technically work? cause it will still conduct !

theres no crying emoticon :evil:

[edit] oh and theres no compusa here .. i live in australia ><

sure it will conduct electricity... and FRY lol :)

Mondoman

Splendid
but if the metal connections are touching it should technically work? cause it will still conduct ! ....
Sorry. This isn't just a broken wire in a flashlight. It's a set of traces designed to carry signals at hundreds of millions of hertz. Just the changes in resistance and capacitance caused by not having the full width of a single trace properly connected would likely cause big problems.

tehrobzorz

Distinguished
Jul 30, 2006
Jeez the original poster is such a retard.

uh huh.. and thats why these forums are filled with help :roll:

obviously i have no idea with this sorta stuff theres no point of having those sorta comments so stfu you turd

rammedstein

Distinguished
Jun 5, 2006
ouch dude, that must suck, umm, personally, me as a person would try it because i'm usually on a pretty limited budget so i have to substitute everything and make ti work the best i can, lol. what i would do is cut the heat spreader in to pieces then attach the smaller pieces to the actual stick with tape or something, its pretty hard to damage a mobo by doing bad stuff with the ram, lol, I've stuck sticks in backwards and lots of stuff and haven't damaged mobos, just the sticks...

acutally, this is true story, i didn't actually didn't take the IHS off my e4300, it overheated and shut down once with the stock cooler once for some odd reason and it was idling way too high after then, so i took off the heatsink and low and behold the IHS came off with it, stuck to the bottom.

apt403

Distinguished
Oct 14, 2006
No chance, those things are toast.

If your good with a soldering iron you might try resoldering all the contacts. If nothing else, you'll be alot better at soldering afterwards. :)

RichPLS

Champion
I would suspect that RMA's would at min be visually inspected, so if the OP has removed orig heatsinks damaging them in the process as stated, along with detaching 3 mem chips, it would be difficult to repair sufficiently to pass a visual inspection...

valis

Distinguished
Mar 24, 2005
one question.. ive managed to put the thing back together.. would the ram still work even tho the connectors on the pcb isnt fully in touch?

BWWAAAAAAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAH

sure dood, it'll work, go for it.

Valis