NEW BUILD - How do i fire this baby up?

Malazan

Distinguished
Jan 8, 2007
Just waiting on GPU.

Not built my own before, what's the procedure? No floppy by the way.

Asus 650i
E4300
G SKILL 6400 800MHZ 2GIG
X-CLIO Greatpower 750W
3 case fans, i controllable
1 Optical drive
1 WD SATA 200GIG
7950gt KO Superclocked

Windows Vista Home Ulti 32 bit (OEM).

Thanks.

prong

Distinguished
Apr 1, 2007
Not built my own before, what's the procedure?

There is no one 'procedure' for assemblying a new computer. Use your common sense and read the manuals when in question. You can start by carefully installing your processor and HSF on your MB. Your MB manual is your friend. GL.

Malazan

Distinguished
Jan 8, 2007
It's built, (barring GPU), what i meant was how do get it up and running? what do i need to do in BIOS etc

Sorry if it was unclear.

prong

Distinguished
Apr 1, 2007
It's built, (barring GPU), what i meant was how do get it up and running? what do i need to do in BIOS etc

Sorry if it was unclear.

In BIOS select your DVD ROM as first boot device. Place the OS disk in the DVD tray. Save and Exit. When you are prompted to 'Press any key to boot from CD' you then Press any key and procede to load your OS. After loading your OS load all MB and system drivers. Get online and download all updates from MS for your OS. You will need a video card driver too. HTH.

jeff_2087

Distinguished
Feb 18, 2007
Also your RAM timings will probably be loose, you should increase RAM voltage to specs and tighten the timings to whatever they're rated at. It'd help performance a bit though not a whole lot.

prong

Distinguished
Apr 1, 2007
Yeah, the new video card will have a CD with drivers. So you want to load the OS, then the MB/system drivers, then the Graphics card driver (Nvidia card drivers will work at this point, ATI cards need Net Framework 2.0 before the driver will install).

I suggest you go ahead and use the driver from the Graphics card CD. Nvidia.com will have the latest driver for your graphics card if the CD doesn't have it already.

Malazan

Distinguished
Jan 8, 2007
Thanks.

Do you know what programs i should use to test the system as a whole and the components individually, such as the RAM, to see if everything is working well - and programs to optimise them?

prong

Distinguished
Apr 1, 2007
I noticed you are using VISTA 32 OS. Your MB may have a special driver CD for VISTA. Use that CD if you have it. Your MB may also be 'VISTA ready'. VISTA OS will very likely supply many of the drivers you need for your MB. So, your MB CD may or may not be used when you try to install from it.

jeff_2087

Distinguished
Feb 18, 2007
It'd say on the box or on your store's site or on the G.Skill website. 5-5-5-15 is what the board generally defaults to, so if the RAM says that too then you don't need to change anything.

prong

Distinguished
Apr 1, 2007
Thanks.

Do you know what programs i should use to test the system as a whole and the components individually, such as the RAM, to see if everything is working well - and programs to optimise them?

Maybe someone can suggest some good programs you could use. I use Speedfan and CPU Z to monitor and adjust my systems. Jeff gave you a heads up about adjsuting your RAM voltage and timings.

System monitoring programs:

http://www.cpuid.com/cpuz.php

http://www.almico.com/speedfan.php

Ultimate Boot Disk is a good for testing stability, etc.

http://www.ultimatebootcd.com/download.html

Eviltwin17

Distinguished
Feb 21, 2006
the best advice i can give you is use the motherboard manual, all mobo manuals have instructions on how to assemble your pc

you can also look for online guides, but as far as explaining it.... its a bit hard to do since all cases, motherboards etc. are different in how they are labeled and stuff like that.