Got an msconfig question about startup items

I'm puzzled about something and can use an answer if anyone has a free
moment.
In trimming down unwanted applications in msconfig in the startup tab, I'm
always puzzled as to what HAS to be running all the time XP is running and
exactly what can be unchecked to take it out of the startup equation for
Windows.
Naturally I don't want things running all the time that I don't need
running, but I don't know how you tell definitely and for sure whether it's
ok to uncheck something using the msconfig/startup tab.
Is there any way to determine FOR SURE whether something should be left
alone or is safe to uncheck that startup tab using msconfig?
Many thanks
Dudley
4 answers Last reply
More about msconfig question startup items

    On Sat, 16 Apr 2005 16:18:20 -0400, Dudley Henriques wrote:

    > I'm puzzled about something and can use an answer if anyone has a free
    > moment.
    > In trimming down unwanted applications in msconfig in the startup tab, I'm
    > always puzzled as to what HAS to be running all the time XP is running and
    > exactly what can be unchecked to take it out of the startup equation for
    > Windows.

    There is nothing in this area needed for Windows to run. Most of the
    Windows necessities are in services instead of in msconfig> Startup.

    However, there may be some items in msconfig that provide functionality or
    extra features to hardware attached to your system. For example, keyboard
    software that is installed in addition to drivers is not needed to run
    Windows or, in most cases, to use just the basic keys. It is needed if one
    wants to use the extra keys on a multimedia or Office style keyboard.

    Other items in msconfig's startup will be programs that you will want to
    pick and choose. Antivirus, for example, is one that you will probably
    leave alone in these screens. An update program for some software that you
    use once or twice a month? Don't really need that overhead on a daily
    basis. This would be a good candidate to consider for disabling as you
    could check manually for updates whenever you use the program.

    --
    Sharon F
    MS-MVP ~ Windows Shell/User

    Dudley, check here for good info
    http://www.pacs-portal.co.uk/startup_content.php

    "Dudley Henriques" <dhenriques@noware.net> wrote in message
    > I'm puzzled about something and can use an answer if anyone has a free
    > moment.
    > In trimming down unwanted applications in msconfig in the startup tab, I'm
    > always puzzled as to what HAS to be running all the time XP is running and
    > exactly what can be unchecked to take it out of the startup equation for
    > Windows.
    > Naturally I don't want things running all the time that I don't need
    > running, but I don't know how you tell definitely and for sure whether
    > it's ok to uncheck something using the msconfig/startup tab.
    > Is there any way to determine FOR SURE whether something should be left
    > alone or is safe to uncheck that startup tab using msconfig?
    > Many thanks
    > Dudley

    Dudley

    Most if not all items in the MSconfig start up list will have been installed
    by you.. anti-virus, keyboard and printer monitors, SETI etc will all reside
    here.. some should be left.. others could be prevented from appearing by
    entering the program properties and unchecking 'run at startup' or similar..

    --
    Mike Hall
    MVP - Windows Shell/user

    http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm

    "Dudley Henriques" <dhenriques@noware.net> wrote in message
    > I'm puzzled about something and can use an answer if anyone has a free
    > moment.
    > In trimming down unwanted applications in msconfig in the startup tab, I'm
    > always puzzled as to what HAS to be running all the time XP is running and
    > exactly what can be unchecked to take it out of the startup equation for
    > Windows.
    > Naturally I don't want things running all the time that I don't need
    > running, but I don't know how you tell definitely and for sure whether
    > it's ok to uncheck something using the msconfig/startup tab.
    > Is there any way to determine FOR SURE whether something should be left
    > alone or is safe to uncheck that startup tab using msconfig?
    > Many thanks
    > Dudley

    Thanks everybody for the feedback. I appreciate it.Dudley

    "Dudley Henriques" <dhenriques@noware.net> wrote in message
    > I'm puzzled about something and can use an answer if anyone has a free
    > moment.
    > In trimming down unwanted applications in msconfig in the startup tab, I'm
    > always puzzled as to what HAS to be running all the time XP is running and
    > exactly what can be unchecked to take it out of the startup equation for
    > Windows.
    > Naturally I don't want things running all the time that I don't need
    > running, but I don't know how you tell definitely and for sure whether
    > it's ok to uncheck something using the msconfig/startup tab.
    > Is there any way to determine FOR SURE whether something should be left
    > alone or is safe to uncheck that startup tab using msconfig?
    > Many thanks
    > Dudley

Microsoft Msconfig Windows XP