Sign in with
Your question
Closed

Time Machine for Windows?

Last response: in Windows XP
October 5, 2006 9:16:25 AM

I am looking for a tool that I can use to go back to previuos versions of
files on my Windows PC. Basically I would like something like the "Time Machine"
that will be part of the next MacOS. All tools I have yet seen do not create
transparent versions the way I want them to. Either they require user interaction
(like most document management and source code management systems),
or they run periodically (once an hour or so). I frequently find myself having
screwed up or deleted or overwritten a file, a presentation or a letter,
by accident and I want to go back to the original. I don't think I need
the functionality to roll back the whole system to a particular point in time.
Probably using "My Documents" or something below that would be sufficient. After
it might be a question of the storage space at some point.

More about : time machine windows

October 5, 2006 3:13:44 PM

I often create "templates" for myself. Have one folder filled with files, ei, a faxing template, a general report template, a memo template, spreadsheets for accounting. When I need one I copy it out of that folder to wherever I want and then work on it.
October 5, 2006 5:44:17 PM

VSS = Volume Shadow Service aka Volume Shadow copy, etc.

It makes copies of your files.. works great on Windows XP and 2003 server. heh.

Not much you can do aside from backing up your own files.
Related resources
October 6, 2006 9:33:03 AM

You may want to check out TrackMyFiles (www.trackmyfiles.com). It actually lets
you specify a number of directories that you want to track. Restore can be via context
menu or via a GUI that lets you move a slider through the history of a particular
folder. Since it seems not to copy files but to store diffs in a repository that may
come in convenient as well.
February 18, 2009 1:49:14 PM

You will want to check this out if you're interested in Apple's Time Machine and have a Windows platform OS.

http://www.genietimeline.com

Beta to be released soon... You might wanna sign up for it... Can't wait to get my hands on Genie Timeline...

Apparently, its features include Realtime CDP, endless file versioning, automated backup, window's integration to the core... I've been waiting for this kind of software to be released on Windows for ages...
February 27, 2009 3:54:14 PM

Radix Remote is like Time Machine without the cool GUI

Download a free 15 day trial at

www.flashlight-digital.com/radix

There are several versions of Radix. This link gives tyou the Premium version where you can keep unlimited backup points. Reloading to a previous version can be accomplished in under a minute. You can also quickly grab deleted files without reloading.

BTW, this site is the only one that sells without an annual licensing fee

John Meggitt
Digital 66
February 28, 2009 7:01:15 PM

shadow volume copy feature should do the trick
May 22, 2009 5:17:27 AM

I am probably prejudiced, because I like Koala Bear's stuff, but TimeTraveler has the virtue that it uses Window's Volume Shadow Copy technology (built in to Vista and Windows 7) to take consistent, relatively light-weight snapshots. You do have to schedule them, but TimeTraveler knows how to call up the appropriate comparison and has the only understandable configuration interface to the Shadow Copy Service.
June 1, 2009 5:11:10 AM

You might want to try TimeTraveler:

http://www.bearsontheloose.com

With its timeline plug-in for Windows Explorer, TimeTraveler provides easy access to previous versions of files and folders on all Editions of Vista and Windows 7. Move the time cursor to view, compare or restore files from a prior point in time.
July 16, 2009 11:28:31 PM

JFMeggitt said:
Radix Remote is like Time Machine without the cool GUI

Download a free 15 day trial at

www.flashlight-digital.com/radix

There are several versions of Radix. This link gives tyou the Premium version where you can keep unlimited backup points. Reloading to a previous version can be accomplished in under a minute. You can also quickly grab deleted files without reloading.

BTW, this site is the only one that sells without an annual licensing fee

John Meggitt
Digital 66

John,
Is your Sw still available?
Thanks
Bert Hesselink
August 30, 2009 9:10:12 PM

Full Disclosure : I work for Altaro Software.

Hi - Just saw these posts.

We are a new software company (Altaro Software – www.altaro.com) and we are developing a backup software product / version control product called 'Oops! Backup'. Oops! Backup is a hybrid between a traditional backup product and a lightweight version control system. Oops! Backup automatically tracks changes to documents, photos and other files and allows you to backtrack to any point in time. To a certain extent it's the equivalent of Time Machine for Windows

You can see product screenshots at http://www.altaro.com/screenshots.php

Features at http://www.altaro.com/time_machine_for_windows.php

We will be going into BETA soon and are looking for BETA testers - anyone willing to give it a try check out http://www.altaro.com/download.php

Your opinions and constructive criticism would be greatly appreciated:)  (would love to hear the bad stuff ... more than the good stuff)

Sorry for the plug!!

David Vella - david@altaro.com
http://www.altaro.com
September 19, 2009 11:32:00 PM

did you find a good one? I checked some of the mentioned

one of them is Genie timeline and it seems like a good one; directly scanned the files that i use regularly and backed it up... and for the first time i can actually see version for my file

BTW it's now officially released not Beta anymore ... you might wanna try it

http://www.genie-soft.com/products/genie_timeline/featu...

cheers!
October 5, 2009 12:40:31 PM

I tried Genie Timeline and it is a great program in principle, but not on my computer. It takes quite a while to do the original backup (which is tolerable), but the timeline feature did not work. Timeline would lose files, claim not to find the backup drive and simply not reinstall the lost file.

Timeline comes with a more regular backup feature, which did not have these problems. It found my deleted files and restored them with not problem, but the cool features (and there are quite a few nifty ideas behind this software - probably copied from Apple) did not work at all.
So, it's back to my old copy of GeniePro for me.
October 9, 2009 1:18:17 PM

ceg said:
I tried Genie Timeline and it is a great program in principle, but not on my computer. It takes quite a while to do the original backup (which is tolerable), but the timeline feature did not work. Timeline would lose files, claim not to find the backup drive and simply not reinstall the lost file.

Timeline comes with a more regular backup feature, which did not have these problems. It found my deleted files and restored them with not problem, but the cool features (and there are quite a few nifty ideas behind this software - probably copied from Apple) did not work at all.
So, it's back to my old copy of GeniePro for me.

Hey Ceg - we will be releasing the Oops! Backup BETA soon - get on board and let us know :)  http://www.altaro.com/download.php
January 13, 2010 6:29:56 PM

can anyone recommend their favorite from all these solutions for a 'time machine for windows', as i'd prefer not to install and try them all....any comments on favorites?
January 15, 2010 8:17:33 AM

A real PC Time Machine For All People.

Anti Crash Assistant(ACA) is a windows system backup and recovery tool. You can take 1000s Snapshots for your PC and instantly restore it to a point before errors occurred.
Anonymous
February 5, 2010 3:03:57 PM

You need to make sure that you really want a Time Machine clone like Genie Time Line. Both Time Line and Time Machine, while excellent for recovering an accidentally deleted file are problematic for disaster recovery. Genie says Time Line is not set up for disaster recovery. So when your hard disk crashes and you need to put your files back onto a new disk, expect trouble.
February 8, 2010 6:45:52 AM

I contacted genie about this issue and their sales told me that they will release a new version with disaster recovery. based on what they said the disaster recovery will save system files and restore it when the hard drive crashes.

it's also discussed on their forums:

http://forum.genie-soft.com/viewtopic.php?f=26&t=9650&s...

if it will work as they say it should then i don't mind waiting ;) 
June 24, 2010 1:25:32 PM

I've been using Genie Timeline for a while now and unfortunately the cons outweight the pros.

It's ease of is fantastic and windows integration is seamless

However as mentioned earlier if your disk crashes expect trouble, luckily my disk only had heating issues and was able to clone everything onto another HDD. Also after a month, when the machine has been up for 20 or so hour, the Genie Timeline icon goes grey and hovering reveals that the "Genie Timeline service is not running" and continues "Restarting your computer may solve the problem" and therefore it is not backing anything up. Useless for a system that only goes off once a month. I'm a systems and security engineer and a windows expert, nothing has been able to interfere with the Genie Timeline service, so i'm very disappointed in this product.

I've just looked at Oops!Backup that vellad mentioned and it looks fantastic, will post again if I find out otherwise, assume the best if I do not.

vellad said:
Hey Ceg,

Just want to let you know that Oops!Backup has been released yesterday :) 

You can download a free 30 day eval at http://www.altaro.com/download.php

We also received some testimonials from beta testers - http://www.altaro.com/testimonials.php :) 

September 22, 2010 6:00:11 PM

I've tried Genie and the likes. They are good backup programs, but if you are looking for an instant time machine software - you should take a look at a product like Rollback rx (www.rollbacksoftware.com). I know that the admins our our school library use it to prevent users from making any permanent changes to the public pc's.

The rollback rx software allows you to go back to any snapshot on your PC. It also has the disaster recovery option as well.

Unfortunatly, I am having issues with running Rollback on my Window 7 ultimate 64 bit. Does anyone have similar issues?
October 6, 2010 3:49:54 PM

Quote:
I've just looked at Oops!Backup that vellad mentioned and it looks fantastic, will post again if I find out otherwise, assume the best if I do not.

Based on this thread, I downloaded the the evaluation copy of Oops!Backup last night. So far so good! (Though I must confess that I am running it on Windows XP running as a VM on my mac under VMWare fusion, so it is not a high-traffic environment).

It seems to do exactly what Time Machine does. It's simple to install and use, and as far as I'm concerned it seems to improve on Time Machine in that it is somewhat configurable.

The one great thing that Time Machine does that these programs don't seem to do is the ability to reconstitute your entire working system from a backup. Maybe someday.

Thanks for all the helpful comments!
October 7, 2010 2:29:57 PM

This topic has been closed by Mousemonkey
!