Problem useing Dual Channel Mode on ASUS P5N-E SLI Mobo.

I have a new P5N-E SLI Motherboard, which should support up to 8bg DDR2-800. I have on hand 2GB (1gb x2) ADATA DDR2-800 which is brand new.
I relaize this is below most of you all, but when I install one 1 GB stick in the RAM slots it doesn't register in Dual Channel mode.

There are 4 Slots 2 yellow and two black.
Slot A1 is yellow
Slot B1 is Black
Slot A2 is yellow
Slot B2 is Black.

According to the manual, A1+ A2 must = B1+B2 for Dual channel mode to function.

Does this mean I need another set of RAM to occupy all four slots?

Thanks for your help :)
9 answers Last reply
More about problem useing dual channel mode asus mobo
  1. no, you need both sticks in yellow or both sticks in black or all 4 populated.
  2. Thats what I thought too. I tried both ways and the system wont boot if both the sticks are in yellow or both in Black.

There does not appear to be any setting to change to and from Dual Channel mode in Bios.

I have solved IRQ assignment problems and loads of other problems but darned if this one dont got me stumped.

I ran Memtest86 and the RAAM checks out fine.

The system is crashing out of Dark Age of Camelot at random and with no warning. It either freezes totally or simply drops the game and sends me back to desktop.

The CPU is running at 38c and as high as 44c under heavier load.

Weird. Any ideas? It has a onboard Realtek HD Audio device and I use an external Soundblaster card, so I disabled the Realtek one in Bios. Maybe its a bad hard drive but then again..when I ran Chkdsk it passed too.
  3. check the voltage required by your RAM according to the mfr & what is actually being set.
  4. Wait a sec . . .

Quote:
    There are 4 Slots 2 yellow and two black.
    Slot A1 is yellow
    Slot B1 is Black
    Slot A2 is yellow
    Slot B2 is Black.

According to the manual, A1+ A2 must = B1+B2 for Dual channel mode to function.

This leads me to believe that the yellow slots are Channel 1 and the black slots are Channel 2. The memory of both channels must be equal to each other; therefor one stick in yellow (A1) and one stick in black (B1).
  5. ^^^Is sorta what I was thinking as well.
    I am useing AData 2GB (!GB X2 sticks).

I am not sure off the top of my head but after researching this particular RAM, I seem to also think that voltage is playing a part as well.

What I have found thus far is that the 1.8v for this RAM seems quite low and should probably be raised a touch.

However with all the error messages I am getting with the RAM in single channel mode, the problems just gotta be RAM related.
    Both CPUz and Sandra correctly identify the RAM as DDR2 at 800 and show the correct totals, but something is just not set right. I am guessing its :

A: the banks
    B: the voltage is too low and throwing off stability.

The manufacturer indicates a timing of 4 4 4 -12 but many reviews I am finding are saying htis particular timing is wrong and the RAM wont run at 800 with that timing. Now it gets interesting as I am not by any stretch a tech. How exactly should I try setting the timings? Or should I simply take me rump back to the store with receipt and packaging and buy somehting else for my p5N-E SLI mobo?

Thanks
  6. Well I looked around the internet (not very thoroughly mind you) and I can seem to find any A-Data DDR2-800 with timings of 4 4 4 -12; I found some with 5-5-5-18 timings (some sites say 5-5-5-12). Check what timings you're currently running in CPUz (click the Memory tab).

To set the timings manually get into the BIOS. Go the Advanced screen/tab/menu. Enter the Chipset sub-menu. Enter the Memory Timing Setting sub-sub-menu. Set the first four options (tCL, tRCD, tRP, tRAS) to 5,5,5,18 respectfully. Leave everything else at Auto and save changes. If you're still having problems with the RAM, try returning this one and getting another brand.
  7. Quote:

This leads me to believe that the yellow slots are Channel 1 and the black slots are Channel 2. The memory of both channels must be equal to each other; therefor one stick in yellow (A1) and one stick in black (B1).

wrong, it's either both in yellow, both in black (many people say that the yellow slots are problematic on this mobo) or all 4 but that's because A1 & B1 are yellow, A2 & B2 are black.
    but that's because A1 & B1 are yellow, A2 & B2 are black - the OP got it wrong in his post (see section 1.7 of the manual).

As for the Adata memory Vitesta Extreme DDR2 800 should do 4-4-4-12 e.g. http://www.tekheads.co.uk/s/product?product=606264
  8. Aye.

Okay one more time, cause I cant read apparently :)

Looking down into the case with the bottom of the case closest to me:

On the left are the Rear Panel outputs
    On the Right the Front panel of the case.
    left to right
    Slot A1 is yellow
    Slot A2 is Black
    Slot B1 is yellow
    Slot B2 is black

According to the manual Dual Channel operates by this formula:
    Slots A1 + A2 must equal Slots B1 + B2.
    Therefore
    Slot A1 is yellow and occupied by one 1GB of Adata DDR2 800
    Slot A2 is black and is empty
    Slot B1 is yellow and occupied by another 1GB of Adata DDR2-800
    Slot B2 is black and is empty.

So in this configuration: Slots A1 + A2 = 1GB
    Slots B1 + B2 = 1GB

Total installed RAM = 2GB ADATA DDR2-800

However in this configuration the machine will not post or boot.
    When I reconnect the PS and power up the screen remains dark...nothing.

If I have 1GB of RAM in both A1 and A2, the machine then boots and runs. It detects the full amount of the RAM and after I adjusted the Memory Timeings according the what the above poster suggested, it seemed to run a lot more stable...but still is not in Dual Channel mode.

This leads me to the conclusion that:
    1. I am an idiot and should not even try replaceing lightbulbs in my home anymore. :P
    2. Slot B1 is defective...or
    3. One fo the sticks is defective.
    4. This pair is not truly a matched pair, though they were purchased as a set and did indeed come in the same Blister Pack.

I am going to return both the RAM and the Mobo this morning and try a replacement of the Mobo and different RAM.

Thanks all for your help. Sorry for being a tard.
  9. Good luck, hope the new parts work out better for you.
Ask a new question

Read More

Motherboards DDR2 Dual Channel SLI Overclocking