Crossover Motherboard?

tarast

Distinguished
Apr 13, 2007
Are motherboards manufactured that have both AGP and PCie x16 slots?

I want to purchase a new motherboard and CPU, but do not want to have to buy a new video card at the same time. When I do buy a new video card, I want to be able to buy a PCIe card.

Any help?

JMecc

Distinguished
Oct 26, 2006
The AsRock DUAL series (e.g. DUAL-VSTA for C2D & there is one for AM2) take both AGP & PCI-E vid cards and 2 slots DDR, 2 slots DDR2 (not at the same time). This type of motherboard has a physically sized x16 slot but not electrically connected that way, so may bottleneck anything above a 7600/x1800.
Jo

Wolfshadw

Titan
Are motherboards manufactured that have both AGP and PCie x16 slots?

I want to purchase a new motherboard and CPU, but do not want to have to buy a new video card at the same time. When I do buy a new video card, I want to be able to buy a PCIe card.

Any help?

Some ASRock AMD compatible hybrid motherboards offer both AGP and PCI-E with both slots at full bandwidth (x16 PCI-E, 8x AGP). Their Intel based boards offer 8x AGP and a PCI-E "Graphics Slot" (note: not PCI-Ex16) that is hard-wired to x4. Tom's Hardware ran some tests and found at higher resolutions, the high-end cards performance were taking a serious hit.

As of now, Newegg does not carry any AMD compatible hybrid boards. These are the only Intel boards they list, with the ASRock being the only Core2Duo compatible board.

-Wolf sends

jwolf24601

Distinguished
Apr 10, 2007
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813157107

It has a 8x AGP slot and a 16x PCI-E slot, but the PCI-E slot only runs at 4x (Will accept PCI-Ex16 card but not run them at full bandwidth)

This is only a big deal if you buy a really high end video card, most dont show much of an improvement going from 4x to 16x...

http://www.tomshardware.com/2007/03/27/pci_express_scaling_analysis/
Article on PCI-E Scaling

Also this AMD based board though I am not sure the speed of the PCI-Express slot...
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813157097

rammedstein

Distinguished
Jun 5, 2006
on the amd board (i had one), i got a am2 cpu card for it and stuck in a x2 4600 and it worked like a charm, just saying in case you are thinking about it.

tarast

Distinguished
Apr 13, 2007
So, I was looking at that AMD board that everyone has been talking about in this thread, but it looks like NewEgg isn't selling it right now.

Does anyone know of a reliable dealer that is currently selling that board? I found a few by a google search, but they looked relatively un-reliable.

If I can't find it, I may have to go with the Intel board.

Thanks,

Tarast

JMecc

Distinguished
Oct 26, 2006
You're right; the 775 one has been replaced by the 4CORE-DUAL and the AM2 one seems to have disappeared from the places I buy from. That's too bad since this is a very versatile board.

Jo

TRENDING THREADS