dlbaxter

Distinguished
Apr 13, 2007
I'm a budget gamer. I've been researching for a few months now, very aware that there is always another deal around the next corner (and even newer and more expensive technology too). I've settled on something akin to Sanji's $750 C2D machine, though I think I'll be able to slip in 2 gigs of RAM and a budget GTS for about the same price.

I know how to put a computer together, but I've never tried oc'ing (CPU, GPU, or RAM). I think his build is built on that foundation. If I'm too lazy or inept at oc'ing, is there a better budget build for me? Meaning, since I'm wasting the opportunity these components offer (fast speed if oc'd for cheap), is there a better no-hassle choice out there for an incompetent like me!

I realize I may have already bought that system (xbox360), but the allure of Oblivion mods, Medieval:TW, and future gaming enterprises draws me back to the luxury of a gaming rig. Plus I need a desktop to take over for my four year old laptop.

EDIT: I wish I could see the graphical difference between say the $500, $750, and $1000 builds. I don't need each individual blade of grass to have its own shadow, but it'd be nice to improve upon the xbox360.

skyguy

Distinguished
Aug 14, 2006
Can't compare Xbox to PC. Like comparing apples to watermelons. End of story. Don't go there ;)

Difference between $500, $750, $1000 is primarily based on a few factors:

1) the graphics card, hands down. The $500 build won't compare even close to the $1000 because of the graphics card

2) RAM. 2 gigs is far superior to 1 gig, games and system will run better overall

3) CPU. Better CPU means smoother system function, however, not in game framerate....it's for the system, not the games. It also helps for CPU-intensive tasks such as video encoding, number crunching, etc, etc.

Now, as for overclocking.........generally speaking there are only 2 budget overclockers worthy of note: AM2 3600 and C2D 4300. The Core2Duo is by far the superior chip, but it also costs quite a bit more too. Again, it won't help in games, but will on my other 2 points. So if you're on a tight budget, you can stick with the 3600 and get a GTS for a graphics card. Then you can overclock a bit as you get more informed and comfortable with it.

Simply put:

-decent CPU + great GPU = great gaming and graphics

-great CPU + decent GPU = average gaming and graphics

It's all about the GPU for gaming. 3600 and 2 gigs RAM with an 8800 will kick A$$ ;)

dsidious

Distinguished
Dec 9, 2006
Wow, very nice answer indeed. Just wanted to make sure you know Intel is reducing prices on April 22. Also, AMD/ATI will release its R600 or at least some details (hopefully benchmarks) - which may force NVidia to cut its prices a bit too. If you wait a couple of weeks you might get a nicer system. Good luck :lol:

dlbaxter

Distinguished
Apr 13, 2007
Might explain why Fry's is selling the 4300 at half its price.

I'm going to let this slide off the front page and stop hogging board space. I knew something special was happening April 22, thanks for clarifying just what dsidious.

skyguy

Distinguished
Aug 14, 2006
Glad I could help.

And your "hogging board space" comment is one of the most considerate I've heard around here in awhile.

You get the "Noobie of the Week" Award.

:lol: