HP iPAQ 4700 Hangs w/ TomTom Navigator

a b α HP
July 8, 2005 12:42:27 PM

I have an HP iPAQ4700 about a month old.
I loaded TomTom Navagator using the bluetooth interface.

The first time I used it this week on a 3-4 hour drive the machine
completely hung two or three times each way. What I mean by hung is
that everything is frozen, no responses of any kind. Even when I
unplugged the machine the charging light stayed on.

Doing a soft reset brought it back up. Sometimes it restarted ok
remembering the route and resumed. Twice it reset the route to return
to the origin rather than proceed to the destination.

Anyone have any ideas about what could be wrong and what corrective
action may help. Or, should I return everything and look for something
else?

thanks for any help.
Anonymous
a b α HP
July 8, 2005 8:38:15 PM

Martin,

I have the same problem with TT5 on XDA iis, any Chance you could email this fix/instuctons to me OR post the link to the fix on pocketgpsworld?

TIA

InnDizPair

Hi,

There is a known problem with TTN5 and VGA devices (including your HP 4700
and my Dell X50v). Tomtom have advised that they will be issuing a bug fix
in the next couple of weeks.

There is a workaround for this bug, and you can find details at
pocketgpsworld.com but it involves replacing the installed Tomtom.exe with a
modified version. You can do the mod yourself if you don't mind a bit of
fiddling about. Otherwise, I'd be happy to email you a copy. It will
definitely cure the freezing problem.

If you want the postcode feature to work properly, you have to create an
empty directory called TOMTOM on the same storage card you have installed
the maps to.

There has been a lot of criticism aimed at Tomtom for such an awful
"Upgrade." They actually removed some useful functions from TTN3, so that
they can more easily (and cheaply) support the product across multiple
platforms. Some would call it dumbing down.

Good luck

Martin

[/quote]

July 9, 2005 12:05:21 AM