Thrstbster6

Distinguished
Sep 14, 2006
Security Update for Windows XP (KB896423)
Security Update for Windows XP (KB921883)
These 2 updates will not install any reasons as to why?
It keeps failing everytime i have tried to install them. Its a fresh install of XP pro SP2. I have rebooted countless times when trying to install but it still wont.

Thanks for any help

woshitudou

Distinguished
Oct 11, 2006
Make sure you're logged in as Administrator or an account with Admin permissions.

As for the KB896423, is your spooler service running? I read somewhere that this patch can conflict with Dell printers, got a Dell printer?

Go into your Windows folder and open up the install log files for both patches and see if it says why they won't install.

You can also check your event viewer log to see if there is any useful info about it.

They aren't required to use your comptuer. I haven't installed either of them and I haven't seen a virus or malicious piece of code execute on my computer in over 2 years.

bacis

Distinguished
May 29, 2005
hi.
i agree with the previous post,
when the updates don't want to install why do you keep trying?
also i when did last update 4-5months ago some updates failed to install.
there is no need for them.
still running with sp1.
no problems at all.

fattony

Distinguished
Oct 16, 2006
it may not install due a file mismatch
if you can't do it through windows updates, try downloading the executable from ms.com and running them manually

see if your system event viewer logs have any from windows file checker, if there are dll mismatches, it should make a log as file protection would automatically kick off