share? miscrosoft? sense?

killall

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
why the complexity? couldnt sharing with 2k be like that with 98, simple right click sharing then set passwords for different permissions... simple... no 2k has to fcuk it all up doesnt it? hate nt... one case where linux is easier to use than windows... (discounting the fact that windows crashes, corrupts and infects itself with many different things) how do you set up a share?

if in doubt blame microsoft...

G

are you asking how to set up a share in general on win2k? cause it starts off just like in win98. right click the folder and select share, etc. of course, in 2k you can select additional share permissions and restrictions on files and folders that are located on a NTFS formatted partition or volume. Is this what you mean?

Or, are you having trouble accesing you win2k shares from a win98 machine? whats up, amigo? Little more detail, please.

ignore everything i say

killall

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
more difficulty accessing from linux... need the extra permissions for ntfs... how do you do that?

G

right click on the drive or folder (or file for NTFS permissions) and select sharing. then select 'permissions'. note, that this option will not be available if the drive is FAT32. However, if you are having trouble accessing the pc from a linux box, NTFS permissions will probably not help you there. NTFS permissions are sort of 'fine tunning' share permissions. if you cant access share resources on a win2k box it is usually that the other oc is not an 'authenticated user', meaning that the win2k box doesnt have the linux box user id in its users catalog (or active directory if on a domain). try resolving this first. if you already have.....oooops. let us know how it goes cause id like to know how the whole linux/win2k thing works out.

ignore everything i say

killall

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
ive seen setups where it works perfecly... but the thing is even with a win 98 box i cant share from a win2k piece of ... anyway...

ejsmith2

Distinguished
Feb 9, 2001
You also have to have all your services flipped on correctly. The single time I did a share, I went through and just started flipping on services, and found the win2k machine 'sync'd up faster than the win98.

<font color=blue>I hacked Msft, and all I got was this lousy source code.....</font color=blue>

G

do you have accounts for the 98 machine in the users snap-in for the win2k box? can you see the win 2k box on the network? if not, you may need to install WINS on the 2k machine so that it can resolve netbios names (win98 names). When you say you cant access the files, what is the pc telling you? 'no access'? or 'the pc is not available'?

ignore everything i say

killall

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
windows and linux box can see it... though when i try access with any user name and password it says password invalid as if there is no password...

G

Amigo, the following should solve your problem, at least in terms of being able to access a win2k box from win 98 machines. linux im not too hip on, so no tips there. basically, win 2k will no allow access to itself unless by an 'authenticated' user, meaning a user who has logged into their pc using a password and user id. so, when you get that error 'invalid password' its not asking you for a password, its telling you that you arent authenticated.......

If the computers can browse each other on the common protocol and in the common workgroup, you need to set up common user accounts:
For all of the computers that are running Windows 98, Click Start, point to Settings, and then click Control Panel. Double-click Users. Click Next. In the Add User dialog box, type a user name (preferably a one-word name: for example, type JDoe for John Doe), and then click Next. Type a password for the user account, and then type the password again to verify it. You can also leave the password boxes blank. The user name and password must be identical on the computer that is running Windows 98 and the computer that is running Windows 2000 Professional. Click Next.

NOTE: Passwords are case-sensitive in Windows 2000 Professional.

Select any personalized settings for the account, and then click Next. Click Finish.

After you set up a user name and password on the computer that is running Windows 95 or Windows 98, create the same user name and password on the computer that is running Windows 2000 Professional:

Click Start, point to Settings, and then click Control Panel. Double-click Users and Passwords. Click the Advanced tab. In the Advanced User Management section, click Advanced. Click the Users folder. The current users are displayed in the right pane. On the Action menu, click New User. In the User Name box, type the user name that you created in Windows 95 or Windows 98. Type the same password (the password is case-sensitive) in the Password and Confirm Password boxes, or leave these boxes blank if you left them blank for the Windows 95 or Windows 98 user account. Click to clear the User must change password at next logon check box. You may want to click to select the User cannot change password check box so that users cannot change the passwords at a later time. Click Create.
If you receive an error message that indicates that the password does not meet the password policy requirements, click OK, and then make the password longer (use eight characters, and consider also using numbers). After you type a longer password, click Create again. If you modify the password in Windows 2000, you must also modify the password where that password is used in Windows 95 or Windows 98.

After you create a user account for each user who logs on to the network from a computer that is running Windows 95 or Windows 98, and then create a user account for the user of the computer that is running Windows 2000 Professional, click Close. Review the user accounts that you created, and then close the Local Users and Groups dialog box. Click OK in the Users and Passwords dialog box to close it.

ignore everything i say