Partition my NTFS drive for Vista RC1?

lennydude

Distinguished
May 21, 2006
I want to install Vista RC1 as a dual boot with my Windows XP.

What is the best way to do this and what software do I need (free would be nice) to create a new partition on my drive?

I have a 160GB drive with lots of free room...................was thinking about using 30GB for the new partition?

Thanks for any help.............

Lenny

fattony

Distinguished
Oct 16, 2006
have xp on C, vista on whatever other partition you want, just not on the same partition, would be even better if you put vista on a seperate drive all together

but u don't really need an app. do it, windows setup does a fine job of dual booting and automatically modifies your boot.ini file to switch between the two OS upon startup

Chenmaster

Distinguished
Jan 1, 2006
As the other posts have already stated, you should install XP first. If already have XP and just want to add Vista, you will have to use a third party partitioning software. Partition Magic does a good job.

If you are starting with a fresh installation of both, you may use the Window XP setup to partition your drive. Simply delete all partitions by hitting 'D' at the setup screen. You will have to confirm you want to do this by hitting 'L'. Then hit 'C' to create a new partition that is smaller than 160GB (however big you want the XP partition to be). Then install XP onto that partition. When you install Vista, create another partition by a similar process and use the remaining unpartitioned space. Install Vista on this new partition.