Hmm, first encounter with a cheater

Last response: in Video Games
June 22, 2004 5:19:37 PM

[SFG] , Player ID : 140290

When he joined he connect/disconnected VERY fast for 50 times or so.. He
said it was his router. After starting CTI the enemy MHQ was bombarded with
artilley.
After restart it happened again. We decided to kick him, but he left just
before we could ban him.
After that we played a good game.

I didn't see any strange cfg files mentioned when he joined.. How is this
possible ? Do they have some weird addons? If so, why isn't it shown?

--
-
Jan van Zanten, aka NedFox <TZW>

More about : hmm encounter cheater

Anonymous
June 22, 2004 10:48:07 PM

I suspect he has modified one of the addons and inserted a script or
something. akaik, you can actually join with modified addons without any
conflicts. Does seem strange though, I wonder if we'll see more of this.

--
Friday <TZW>
Anonymous

"NedFox <TZW>" <neddy@nowhere.com> wrote in message
> [SFG] , Player ID : 140290

Yes this player is a well-known cheater and has a number of player ids and
names.

> I didn't see any strange cfg files mentioned when he joined.. How is this
> possible ? Do they have some weird addons? If so, why isn't it shown?

There is a trick whereby you can write-protect your cache directory and then
place
your own version of the map there which includes commands to add any actions
you
want. It might be possible to get around this by regularly renaming the
maps on your
server.

Neil

---
June 23, 2004 2:44:56 AM

Thx for the info. First thing I'll be looking for is the
connecting/disconnecting thing, since if he has different names and ID's it
might be hard to track.
Question stays ;-) Why in heavens name do you think it's funny to kill a
game after 5 seconds ? I guess the kid is 11 years old ? Or is that even an
age where kids already know what real fun and fair play is.

--
-
"Neil MacMullen" <n.macmullen@ntlworld.com> schreef in bericht

> "NedFox <TZW>" <neddy@nowhere.com> wrote in message
> > [SFG] , Player ID : 140290
>
> Yes this player is a well-known cheater and has a number of player ids and
> names.
>
> > I didn't see any strange cfg files mentioned when he joined.. How is
this
> > possible ? Do they have some weird addons? If so, why isn't it shown?
> >

> There is a trick whereby you can write-protect your cache directory and
then
> place
> your own version of the map there which includes commands to add any
actions
> you
> want. It might be possible to get around this by regularly renaming the
> maps on your
> server.
>
> Neil
>

> ---

June 23, 2004 2:49:45 AM

> Thx for the info. First thing I'll be looking for is the
> connecting/disconnecting thing, since if he has different names and ID's
it
> might be hard to track.

Feel free to email me at ntlworld.com, n dot macmullen as the prefix. I'll
be
happy to discuss this in private since I don't really think a public forum
is
appropriate.

> Question stays ;-) Why in heavens name do you think it's funny to kill a
> game after 5 seconds ? I guess the kid is 11 years old ? Or is that even
an
> age where kids already know what real fun and fair play is.

Well it could be worse, at least he didn't wait until you were an hour in.
He cheated
in an 'obvious' manner. I don't mind those kind of things so much - it's
the guys that
use cheats to get an advantage in friendly and league matches who are the
most
annoying.

I guess your question was really rhetorical but I'm going to bite anyway ;-)
I've read
many debates between cheaters and cheat-haters; very occasionally you see
some
intelligent discussion. The cheaters position appears to be that they aren't
really
hurting anyone and, after all, who really chooses the rules for online play
? If they
can find away round some of the technical limitations of the game why
shouldn't
they use them ? I might add that this is not a position I agree with so no
flames to
me please ! :-)

neil

---
June 23, 2004 4:34:16 AM

Yeah, unless you set the checksum or file-check thing for the addon, right?

--Uzi

"Friday" <jerry@tric.com> wrote in message
> I suspect he has modified one of the addons and inserted a script or
> something. akaik, you can actually join with modified addons without any
> conflicts. Does seem strange though, I wonder if we'll see more of this.
>
> --
> Friday <TZW>

Anonymous
June 23, 2004 4:36:18 AM

Why doesn't anyone consider the possibility that just 1 such person employed
by the competition might be enough to substantially harm the multiplayer OFP
fanbase and drive them into the competition's arms?

--Uzi

"NedFox <TZW>" <neddy@nowhere.com> wrote in message
> Thx for the info. First thing I'll be looking for is the
> connecting/disconnecting thing, since if he has different names and ID's
it
> might be hard to track.
> Question stays ;-) Why in heavens name do you think it's funny to kill a
> game after 5 seconds ? I guess the kid is 11 years old ? Or is that even
an
> age where kids already know what real fun and fair play is.
>
> --
> -
> Jan van Zanten, aka NedFox <TZW>
> -
> A lecture is a process where information is passed from the notebook of
the
> lecturer to the notebook of the student without necessarily passing
through
> the minds of either.
> -
> "Neil MacMullen" <n.macmullen@ntlworld.com> schreef in bericht
> >
> > "NedFox <TZW>" <neddy@nowhere.com> wrote in message
> > > [SFG] , Player ID : 140290
> >
> > Yes this player is a well-known cheater and has a number of player ids
and
> > names.
> >
> > > I didn't see any strange cfg files mentioned when he joined.. How is
> this
> > > possible ? Do they have some weird addons? If so, why isn't it shown?
> > >

> > There is a trick whereby you can write-protect your cache directory and
> then
> > place
> > your own version of the map there which includes commands to add any
> actions
> > you
> > want. It might be possible to get around this by regularly renaming the
> > maps on your
> > server.
> >
> > Neil
> >

> > ---

June 23, 2004 4:39:05 AM

It isn't sporting unless you announce the game as a no-holds-barred
cheat-condoning match.

If one side has super-artillery, then the other side should, too.

....Obvious to most of us, including you, I'm sure.

Wish it were obvious to the morons.

--Uzi

"Neil MacMullen" <n.macmullen@ntlworld.com> wrote in message

> "NedFox <TZW>" <neddy@nowhere.com> wrote in message
> > Thx for the info. First thing I'll be looking for is the
> > connecting/disconnecting thing, since if he has different names and ID's
> it
> > might be hard to track.
>
> Feel free to email me at ntlworld.com, n dot macmullen as the prefix.
I'll
> be
> happy to discuss this in private since I don't really think a public forum
> is
> appropriate.
>
> > Question stays ;-) Why in heavens name do you think it's funny to kill a
> > game after 5 seconds ? I guess the kid is 11 years old ? Or is that even
> an
> > age where kids already know what real fun and fair play is.
> >

> Well it could be worse, at least he didn't wait until you were an hour in.
> He cheated
> in an 'obvious' manner. I don't mind those kind of things so much - it's
> the guys that
> use cheats to get an advantage in friendly and league matches who are the
> most
> annoying.
>
> I guess your question was really rhetorical but I'm going to bite anyway
;-)
> I've read
> many debates between cheaters and cheat-haters; very occasionally you see
> some
> intelligent discussion. The cheaters position appears to be that they
aren't
> really
> hurting anyone and, after all, who really chooses the rules for online
play
> ? If they
> can find away round some of the technical limitations of the game why
> shouldn't
> they use them ? I might add that this is not a position I agree with so
no
> flames to
> me please ! :-)
>
> neil
>

> ---

June 23, 2004 2:57:56 PM

OK, now that is just funny. Not because it might not be true, but think
about it. What competition wants the 600 or so people who happens to play
OFP multiplayer.

Please, UZI if you are going to come up with a conspiracy theory at least
come up with one that has some chance of being true. In real terms NO ONE
plays OFP multiplayer and NO ONE ever has (for the nit pickers, read what I
said, in real terms).

Right now there are more people playing the Halo Demo than playing OFP

"Uziyahu" <NNOSPAMMuziyahu@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> Why doesn't anyone consider the possibility that just 1 such person
employed
> by the competition might be enough to substantially harm the multiplayer
OFP
> fanbase and drive them into the competition's arms?
>
> --Uzi
>
> "NedFox <TZW>" <neddy@nowhere.com> wrote in message
> > Thx for the info. First thing I'll be looking for is the
> > connecting/disconnecting thing, since if he has different names and ID's
> it
> > might be hard to track.
> > Question stays ;-) Why in heavens name do you think it's funny to kill a
> > game after 5 seconds ? I guess the kid is 11 years old ? Or is that even
> an
> > age where kids already know what real fun and fair play is.
> >
> > --
> > -
> > Jan van Zanten, aka NedFox <TZW>
> > -
> > A lecture is a process where information is passed from the notebook of
> the
> > lecturer to the notebook of the student without necessarily passing
> through
> > the minds of either.
> > -
> > "Neil MacMullen" <n.macmullen@ntlworld.com> schreef in bericht
> > >
> > > "NedFox <TZW>" <neddy@nowhere.com> wrote in message
> > >
> > > Yes this player is a well-known cheater and has a number of player ids
> and
> > > names.

> > this
> > > >

> > > There is a trick whereby you can write-protect your cache directory
and
> > then
> > > place
> > > your own version of the map there which includes commands to add any
> > actions
> > > you
> > > want. It might be possible to get around this by regularly renaming
the
> > > maps on your
> > > server.
> > >
> > > Neil
> > >

> > > ---

June 23, 2004 5:15:22 PM

"Uziyahu" <NNOSPAMMuziyahu@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> Why doesn't anyone consider the possibility that just 1 such person
employed
> by the competition might be enough to substantially harm the multiplayer
OFP
> fanbase and drive them into the competition's arms?
>
> --Uzi

Why would they go to the trouble and expense and risk of someone grassing
them up when there's tons of cheating little scrotes out there already?
Anonymous
June 23, 2004 7:46:36 PM

NedFox wrote:

> [SFG] , Player ID : 140290
>
> When he joined he connect/disconnected VERY fast for 50 times or so..
> He said it was his router. After starting CTI the enemy MHQ was
> bombarded with artilley.
> After restart it happened again. We decided to kick him, but he left
> just before we could ban him.
> After that we played a good game.
>
> I didn't see any strange cfg files mentioned when he joined.. How is
> this possible ? Do they have some weird addons? If so, why isn't it
> shown?

Sadly, a lot is possible (again) with 196. If people disconnect for a
short time i would be very suspicious.
cu,

Markus
June 23, 2004 10:32:53 PM

You can ban him based on his player ID Ned, do a test ban on somebody to see
the file the game writes, and then just switch the ID number.

"NedFox <TZW>" <neddy@nowhere.com> wrote in message
> [SFG] , Player ID : 140290
>
> When he joined he connect/disconnected VERY fast for 50 times or so.. He
> said it was his router. After starting CTI the enemy MHQ was bombarded
with
> artilley.
> After restart it happened again. We decided to kick him, but he left just
> before we could ban him.
> After that we played a good game.
>
> I didn't see any strange cfg files mentioned when he joined.. How is this
> possible ? Do they have some weird addons? If so, why isn't it shown?
>
> --
> -
> Jan van Zanten, aka NedFox <TZW>
> -
> A lecture is a process where information is passed from the notebook of
the
> lecturer to the notebook of the student without necessarily passing
through
> the minds of either.
> -

Anonymous
June 24, 2004 12:28:39 AM

Sorry. I need that in American English. ;-)

--Uzi

"Mort <TZW>" <nospam@sweatyhelmet.org> wrote in message

> "Uziyahu" <NNOSPAMMuziyahu@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> > Why doesn't anyone consider the possibility that just 1 such person
> employed
> > by the competition might be enough to substantially harm the multiplayer
> OFP
> > fanbase and drive them into the competition's arms?
> >
> > --Uzi
> >

> Why would they go to the trouble and expense and risk of someone grassing
> them up when there's tons of cheating little scrotes out there already?

Anonymous
June 24, 2004 4:01:22 AM

"Uziyahu" <NNOSPAMMuziyahu@yahoo.com> wrote in message news:Ji4Cc.126798
> It isn't sporting unless you announce the game as a no-holds-barred
> cheat-condoning match.
>
> If one side has super-artillery, then the other side should, too.

Other side has anti-superartillery and has super air while the other side
has super-antiair, etc.... rock, paper, scissors...

The incident we are talking about was a WMD in 10 seconds. Shove that up
your 45minute pipe, Mister Blair!

> ...Obvious to most of us, including you, I'm sure.
>
> Wish it were obvious to the morons.

--

Liddle Feesh
*fap fap fap fap*

Yup, I'm doing that already.
It just struck me, OFP being a "man's game" and not a "boys game" that I saw
this cheat! I played DeltaForce for quit a few years, but (probably because
of the name we had in DF land) we never had serious cheaters on our server..
Too be honoust I just laughed at it, and restarted the game (him included)
to see what really happened.. He kept quiet for 55 seconds, and then again :
booooom..... LOL.... After that he was gone and we had a perfect game ...

--
-
"TJ" <who@where.com> schreef in bericht
> You can ban him based on his player ID Ned, do a test ban on somebody to
see
> the file the game writes, and then just switch the ID number.
>

> "NedFox <TZW>" <neddy@nowhere.com> wrote in message
> > [SFG] , Player ID : 140290
> >
> > When he joined he connect/disconnected VERY fast for 50 times or so.. He
> > said it was his router. After starting CTI the enemy MHQ was bombarded
> with
> > artilley.
> > After restart it happened again. We decided to kick him, but he left
just
> > before we could ban him.
> > After that we played a good game.
> >
> > I didn't see any strange cfg files mentioned when he joined.. How is
this
> > possible ? Do they have some weird addons? If so, why isn't it shown?
> >
> > --
> > -
> > Jan van Zanten, aka NedFox <TZW>
> > -
> > A lecture is a process where information is passed from the notebook of
> the
> > lecturer to the notebook of the student without necessarily passing
> through
> > the minds of either.
> > -

Anonymous
June 24, 2004 5:25:23 AM

MANS GAME, please get of your high horse.

You guys are a riot. Kinda reminds me so much of high school. No one likes
what we are doing, so then "They are all wrong and we are the best".

> Yup, I'm doing that already.
> It just struck me, OFP being a "man's game" and not a "boys game" that I
saw
> this cheat! I played DeltaForce for quit a few years, but (probably
because
> of the name we had in DF land) we never had serious cheaters on our
server..
> Too be honoust I just laughed at it, and restarted the game (him included)
> to see what really happened.. He kept quiet for 55 seconds, and then again
:
> booooom..... LOL.... After that he was gone and we had a perfect game ...
>
> --
> -
> Jan van Zanten, aka NedFox <TZW>
> -
> A lecture is a process where information is passed from the notebook of
the
> lecturer to the notebook of the student without necessarily passing
through
> the minds of either.
> -
> "TJ" <who@where.com> schreef in bericht
> > You can ban him based on his player ID Ned, do a test ban on somebody to
> see
> > the file the game writes, and then just switch the ID number.
> >

> > "NedFox <TZW>" <neddy@nowhere.com> wrote in message
> > > [SFG] , Player ID : 140290
> > >
> > > When he joined he connect/disconnected VERY fast for 50 times or so..
He
> > > said it was his router. After starting CTI the enemy MHQ was bombarded
> > with
> > > artilley.
> > > After restart it happened again. We decided to kick him, but he left
> just
> > > before we could ban him.
> > > After that we played a good game.
> > >
> > > I didn't see any strange cfg files mentioned when he joined.. How is
> this
> > > possible ? Do they have some weird addons? If so, why isn't it shown?
> > >
> > > --
> > > -
> > > Jan van Zanten, aka NedFox <TZW>
> > > -
> > > A lecture is a process where information is passed from the notebook
of
> > the
> > > lecturer to the notebook of the student without necessarily passing
> > through
> > > the minds of either.
> > > -

Anonymous
June 24, 2004 11:31:29 AM

"407ETR" <407etr@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> MANS GAME, please get of your high horse.
>
> You guys are a riot. Kinda reminds me so much of high school. No one likes
> what we are doing, so then "They are all wrong and we are the best".

English isn't Neddy's first language so what he probably mean't to say was
it's more 'adult oriented' but not 'adult oriented' in the way its mean't in
the Netherlands if you know what I mean :-)
Anonymous
June 24, 2004 4:06:29 PM

"407ETR" <407etr@hotmail.com> wrote in

> MANS GAME, please get of your high horse.
>
> You guys are a riot. Kinda reminds me so much of high school. No one
> likes what we are doing, so then "They are all wrong and we are the
> best".
>

> "NedFox <TZW>" <neddy@nowhere.com> wrote in message
>> Yup, I'm doing that already.
>> It just struck me, OFP being a "man's game" and not a "boys game"
>> that I
> saw
>> this cheat! I played DeltaForce for quit a few years, but (probably
> because
>> of the name we had in DF land) we never had serious cheaters on our
> server..
>> Too be honoust I just laughed at it, and restarted the game (him
>> included) to see what really happened.. He kept quiet for 55 seconds,
>> and then again
>:
>> booooom..... LOL.... After that he was gone and we had a perfect game
>>
>> --
>> -
>> Jan van Zanten, aka NedFox <TZW>
>> -
>> A lecture is a process where information is passed from the notebook
>> of
> the
>> lecturer to the notebook of the student without necessarily passing
> through
>> the minds of either.
>> -
>> "TJ" <who@where.com> schreef in bericht
>> > You can ban him based on his player ID Ned, do a test ban on
>> > somebody to
>> see
>> > the file the game writes, and then just switch the ID number.
>> >

>> > "NedFox <TZW>" <neddy@nowhere.com> wrote in message

> He
>> > with
>> just

>> this

> of
>> > the
>> > through

Sorry, I seemed to have missed your point. Are you actually saying that
you agree with cheating and to complain about cheaters ruining a game is
"getting on a high horse"

June 24, 2004 7:11:47 PM

James Siegel wrote:

> I could go on and on and on
> if you find OFP to be such a waste of your time
> please stop wasting our time and just don't bother posting in the OFP
> newsgroup
> Now then, since you will of course neglect that point

Do you actually read what that guy is saying? He is not putting ofp
down, but telling it like it is. There are some 30.000 counterstrike
servers out there and some 100.000s of cs players. In comparison to
this ofp is virtually not existant. Who would make an effort to win
over some 300 ofp fans when there are 20.000 battlefield or dod fans to
be won over?

> there is a huge following for this game... it sold over 1 million
> copies not including the 'hacks' and 'warez' copies floating around

I heard that number before but i couldn't believe it, as there have
never been many servers or players around in ofp mp. And i play mp
since v1.0. Even then you would know most players by name after playing
3 times, on each of the 3 servers that did exist at that time.

There are cheats for all mp games. There are lots of cheats for ofp too.
There are some prechautions one can take to identify cheaters, but
nothing really 100% effective. If you want to do _something_ then put
equalmodrequired into your server.cfg, check every addon, and manually
type #debug checkfile mpmissions/missionname and #debug checkfile
mpmissionscache/missionname in every mission you run. That won't detect
everything (like hacked ofp executables, hooks and 3rd party progs),
but will make manipulating the ofp files undetected more difficult.
cu,

Markus
Anonymous
June 24, 2004 7:14:57 PM

TJ wrote:

> You can ban him based on his player ID Ned, do a test ban on somebody
> to see the file the game writes, and then just switch the ID number.

The game writes nothing, you have to put his id into a textfile called
ban.txt. Be careful though, there are id changers out there and you
might be banning someone else.
cu,

Markus
Anonymous
June 24, 2004 9:49:36 PM

It is as Mort stated.. And that's why OFP isn't played by many, as you
said. Mature people don't play much games, compared to 14-year olds.. A few
thousands maybe in total, compared with hunder of thousands. Kids want quick
games, play the same map ("dust" or something) over and over and over and
over and over again, and they say literally : OFP is BORING, it's an
old-mens game.. Probably since it's slow compared to steam, couterstrike
etc..

I'll probably made some mistake by using an English saying, but the essence
is still right : OFP requires another level of thinking, and in my POV a
*mature* way of thinking, to play it properly. (Hence my wondering about the
cheats).

--
-
"407ETR" <407etr@hotmail.com> schreef in bericht
> MANS GAME, please get of your high horse.
>
> You guys are a riot. Kinda reminds me so much of high school. No one likes
> what we are doing, so then "They are all wrong and we are the best".

Anonymous
June 24, 2004 9:49:37 PM

" I'll probably made some mistake by using an English saying, but the essence
is still right " That's ok Ned those of us that speak English as a primary language have a hard to conversing with other primary
English speakers ;O) . When I was in Aus I had to explain what a Fannypak was and why a guy would need one since guys don't have
Fannies. was a strange conversation until it was realized that a fanny in the UK and commonwealth was the opposite as it is in the
US OOPS ;O)

--
WÅTÒÓÇÊ<TZW>
www.timezone-warriors.net

The Claw is my Master
I have Been Chosen
Ooooooooooooooooohhhhhhhhh

"NedFox <TZW>" <neddy@nowhere.com> wrote in message news:gKCCc.12915$%27.180081@zonnet-reader-1...
It is as Mort stated.. And that's why OFP isn't played by many, as you
said. Mature people don't play much games, compared to 14-year olds.. A few
thousands maybe in total, compared with hunder of thousands. Kids want quick
games, play the same map ("dust" or something) over and over and over and
over and over again, and they say literally : OFP is BORING, it's an
old-mens game.. Probably since it's slow compared to steam, couterstrike
etc..

I'll probably made some mistake by using an English saying, but the essence
is still right : OFP requires another level of thinking, and in my POV a
*mature* way of thinking, to play it properly. (Hence my wondering about the
cheats).

--
-
Jan van Zanten, aka NedFox <TZW>
-
A lecture is a process where information is passed from the notebook of the
lecturer to the notebook of the student without necessarily passing through
the minds of either.
-
"407ETR" <407etr@hotmail.com> schreef in bericht
> MANS GAME, please get of your high horse.
>
> You guys are a riot. Kinda reminds me so much of high school. No one likes
> what we are doing, so then "They are all wrong and we are the best".

Anonymous
June 24, 2004 9:49:38 PM

"WÅTÒÓÇÊ <TZW>" <Klumsyfoot@kickAfrog.net> wrote in message
> " I'll probably made some mistake by using an English saying, but the
essence
> is still right " That's ok Ned those of us that speak English as a
primary language have a hard to conversing with other primary
> English speakers ;O) . When I was in Aus I had to explain what a Fannypak
was and why a guy would need one since guys don't have
> Fannies. was a strange conversation until it was realized that a fanny in
the UK and commonwealth was the opposite as it is in the
> US OOPS ;O)

Ha!
That's nothing a few years back I was at a very boring meeting in NY with a
very earnest/serious product team from an American company we were doing
some work for when in the middle of the discussion of a particular project
one of my colleagues enthusiastically said 'Yes we're beavering away on that
for you!'

Cue for the American guys in the room to collapse laughing and for sharp
intakes of breath from the traumatized females :-)
Needless to say he wasn't allowed to forget dropping that particular
clanger.
Anonymous
June 24, 2004 9:55:14 PM

LOL

--

"Mort <TZW>" <nospam@sweatyhelmet.org> wrote in message news:cbf0im$9oc$1@hercules.btinternet.com...

"WÅTÒÓÇÊ <TZW>" <Klumsyfoot@kickAfrog.net> wrote in message
> " I'll probably made some mistake by using an English saying, but the
essence
> is still right " That's ok Ned those of us that speak English as a
primary language have a hard to conversing with other primary
> English speakers ;O) . When I was in Aus I had to explain what a Fannypak
was and why a guy would need one since guys don't have
> Fannies. was a strange conversation until it was realized that a fanny in
the UK and commonwealth was the opposite as it is in the
> US OOPS ;O)

Ha!
That's nothing a few years back I was at a very boring meeting in NY with a
very earnest/serious product team from an American company we were doing
some work for when in the middle of the discussion of a particular project
one of my colleagues enthusiastically said 'Yes we're beavering away on that
for you!'

Cue for the American guys in the room to collapse laughing and for sharp
intakes of breath from the traumatized females :-)
Needless to say he wasn't allowed to forget dropping that particular
clanger.
Anonymous
June 24, 2004 11:45:31 PM

> I agree the VOIP was awesome. In fact I would still love to know how they
> got voice detection working so well.
>
> It is nice that you saw over 600 people playing, BUT how often did this
> happen. AND what numbers did you see. If alot of the servers don't have
IGJ
> enabled, then guess what, BIS is going to lose sales. The people who
> purchased this game for its multiplayer capabilities will not buy OFP2.
>
> I agree with your sales figures, that sounds about what I read a while
back.
> NOW, if you believe them to be true. Then the numbers (estimates) you
appear
> to be quoting for servers and players is EXTREMELY small.

No-one likes the game they love being criticised, but the only reason OFP is
not as 'big' as these others IMHO is solely due to it's age, if it's was
released today there would be a helluva lot more interest as OFP2 will
show..

Kango
Anonymous
June 24, 2004 11:45:32 PM

I don't understand you logic here.

BF1942 had huge number playing the DEMO, it had huge number playing retail
when it was released and it has huge number playing today.,

OFP never had huge number playing ONLINE.

I disagree with OFP (original) ever being a huge multiplayer game. First of
it used Directplay for multiplayer, that is strike one. Second, no in game
join, Most folks don't want to wait up to 30 mins for a round to finish
before they get to play. 3rd , Huge maps are great for coop type missions,
but not for most other types.

"RobertJM" <robert@rockNObottomSPAM.plus.com> wrote in message

> "407ETR" <407etr@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> > I agree the VOIP was awesome. In fact I would still love to know how
they
> > got voice detection working so well.
> >
> > It is nice that you saw over 600 people playing, BUT how often did this
> > happen. AND what numbers did you see. If alot of the servers don't have
> IGJ
> > enabled, then guess what, BIS is going to lose sales. The people who
> > purchased this game for its multiplayer capabilities will not buy OFP2.
> >
> > I agree with your sales figures, that sounds about what I read a while
> back.
> > NOW, if you believe them to be true. Then the numbers (estimates) you
> appear
> > to be quoting for servers and players is EXTREMELY small.
> >
> No-one likes the game they love being criticised, but the only reason OFP
is
> not as 'big' as these others IMHO is solely due to it's age, if it's was
> released today there would be a helluva lot more interest as OFP2 will
> show..
>
> Kango

Anonymous
June 25, 2004 1:05:32 AM

RobertJM wrote:

> No-one likes the game they love being criticised, but the only reason
> OFP is not as 'big' as these others IMHO is solely due to it's age, if
> it's was released today there would be a helluva lot more interest as
> OFP2 will show..

Sure. And CS is about thousand times as big as ofp because it is 2 or 3
years older. And CS is more popular than BF42 and BFV put together
because it is nearly five years older than those games. Oh wait, that
doesn't make sense...

I don't know why people have a hard time accepting that ofp is not for
the mainstream? I love ofp, most people in this newsgroup too, so why
care what everyone else thinks about it?
cu,

Markus
Anonymous
June 25, 2004 7:44:10 AM

> BTW, did anyone realize that CM/BIS did what no one else in the
> gaming history has ever done (AFAIK) Made a game, released an
> addon that requires the original game, then stopped updating the
> original game. Cool marketing move actually.

Firaxis Alpha Centauri, Alien Crossfire exp.
Firaxis Civilization 3, Play The World exp, Conquests exp.
Novalogic Blackhawk Down, Team Sabre exp.

I'm sure there are many more examples, and it does make sense. In
fact, I don't think I own a game where an expansion was released and
the un-expanded version rec'd continued support.

--
ICQ: 8105495
AIM: KeeperGFA

> I don't understand you logic here.
>

> BF1942 had huge number playing the DEMO, it had huge number playing retail
> when it was released and it has huge number playing today.,
>

> OFP never had huge number playing ONLINE.
>
> I disagree with OFP (original) ever being a huge multiplayer game. First
of
> it used Directplay for multiplayer, that is strike one. Second, no in game
> join, Most folks don't want to wait up to 30 mins for a round to finish
> before they get to play. 3rd , Huge maps are great for coop type missions,
> but not for most other types.

It's like comparing apples with oranges.
Games like BF1942 and CS have a much larger online following than OFP but
that's all they have. If you want to play them at all you HAVE to play them
online (unless I'm missing something since the last time I looked).

At the end of the day it's hardly worth arguing about. After all which game
was slightly modified for use by the US military as a squad training
simulation? It wasn't BF1942 or CS.
Anonymous
June 25, 2004 8:09:26 PM

407ETR wrote:

> Yes, you use SOCKETS, but guess what, you don't use it for OFP server
> AFAIK, you use it for Resistance servers. OR did BIS finally update
> the original game to use sockets.

The beta patches in the 1.5x series introduced socket netcode for cwc as
a public betatest for the coming resistance upgrade.
cu,

Markus
Anonymous
June 25, 2004 8:54:10 PM

"Kevin 'Keeper' Foster" <thekeeper@canada.com> wrote in message
> "407ETR" <407etr@hotmail.com> wrote in
>
> > BTW, did anyone realize that CM/BIS did what no one else in the
> > gaming history has ever done (AFAIK) Made a game, released an
> > addon that requires the original game, then stopped updating the
> > original game. Cool marketing move actually.
>

> Firaxis Alpha Centauri, Alien Crossfire exp.
> Firaxis Civilization 3, Play The World exp, Conquests exp.
> Novalogic Blackhawk Down, Team Sabre exp.
>
> I'm sure there are many more examples, and it does make sense. In
> fact, I don't think I own a game where an expansion was released and
> the un-expanded version rec'd continued support.
>
> --
> ICQ: 8105495
> AIM: KeeperGFA
> EMail: thekeeper@canada.com
> "If we did the things we are capable of,
> we would astound ourselves." - Edison

I don't know about the rest of the games, but BHD, Sabre expansion, was an
addon, but Novalogic updated the original game since then

http://www.novalogic.com/updatedetail.asp?ID=23&GameKey...

In fact it tells you if you have Team Sabre updated you don't need this
update....IOW, this updates the game after Team Sabre was released , there
is a seperate update for Team Sabre.

So from your statment I assume that you don't own HalfLife, Quake3, BF1942
Anonymous
June 25, 2004 8:56:20 PM

> "407ETR" <407etr@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> > I don't understand you logic here.
> >

> > BF1942 had huge number playing the DEMO, it had huge number playing
retail
> > when it was released and it has huge number playing today.,
> >

> > OFP never had huge number playing ONLINE.
> >
> > I disagree with OFP (original) ever being a huge multiplayer game. First
> of
> > it used Directplay for multiplayer, that is strike one. Second, no in
game
> > join, Most folks don't want to wait up to 30 mins for a round to finish
> > before they get to play. 3rd , Huge maps are great for coop type
missions,
> > but not for most other types.
>
> It's like comparing apples with oranges.
> Games like BF1942 and CS have a much larger online following than OFP but
> that's all they have. If you want to play them at all you HAVE to play
them
> online (unless I'm missing something since the last time I looked).
>
> At the end of the day it's hardly worth arguing about. After all which
game
> was slightly modified for use by the US military as a squad training
> simulation? It wasn't BF1942 or CS.

And this means what exactly...So the USMC got a updated version of it , so
what, what does this have to do with it. Those games to report to be
realistic combat. I was pointing out that there are very few people actually
playing OFP online, in comparision to alot of other games, or even demos of
games. And SLIGHTLY Modified is an understatement, otherwise BIS is really
ripping off the public charging several hundred dollars to you (and I) for
VBS1 and $50 per expansion pack if what you say is true.

THATS ALL THE HAVE, huh, again, where did any of those game report to have
any offline content.
Anonymous
June 25, 2004 8:58:07 PM

Very true, but as you point out, only beta , I doubt you could find many if
any beta servers out there.

"Markus Holzapfel" <frefoli@gmx.net> wrote in message
> 407ETR wrote:
>
> > Yes, you use SOCKETS, but guess what, you don't use it for OFP server
> > AFAIK, you use it for Resistance servers. OR did BIS finally update
> > the original game to use sockets.
>
> The beta patches in the 1.5x series introduced socket netcode for cwc as
> a public betatest for the coming resistance upgrade.
> cu,
>
> Markus

Anonymous
June 26, 2004 3:07:12 PM

> And this means what exactly...

OFP's a better game

So the USMC got a updated version of it , so
> what, what does this have to do with it. Those games to report to be
> realistic combat. I was pointing out that there are very few people
actually
> playing OFP online, in comparision to alot of other games, or even demos
of
> games. And SLIGHTLY Modified is an understatement, otherwise BIS is really
> ripping off the public charging several hundred dollars to you (and I) for
> VBS1 and $50 per expansion pack if what you say is true.

It's only money. You can't take it with you and boyz have to have their
toyz. I'm not complaining about the price.
The physics, AI and addons are different but the interface and look/feel are
the same.

> THATS ALL THE HAVE, huh, again, where did any of those game report to have
> any offline content.

Yup that's all they have. Trying to play BF or CS offline is what can best
be termed 'non-experience' that is why they are inferior games.
Anonymous
June 27, 2004 3:06:29 AM

Mort wrote:

> Yup that's all they have. Trying to play BF or CS offline is what can
> best be termed 'non-experience' that is why they are inferior games.

Playing teamgames offline isn't that much fun anyway. Choosing to play
with/against ofp ai and human teammembers/opponents i choose humans
every day. In ANY game. Telling guys that want to play mp games that
their favorite game is superior because it is lacking sp, is somehow
like telling a guy his racing car is inferior to your trabant cause you
got a better tv at home than him. Both things are totally unrelated.
And if ofp had the mp netcode and the server features of bf or cs i
would be happy.
cu,

Markus
Anonymous
June 27, 2004 6:07:49 AM

Talk about comparing apples to oranges.

"a better game" indicates fact, when it isn't , it is rather an opinion.

> "407ETR" <407etr@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> >

> > And this means what exactly...
>
> OFP's a better game
>
> So the USMC got a updated version of it , so
> > what, what does this have to do with it. Those games to report to be
> > realistic combat. I was pointing out that there are very few people
> actually
> > playing OFP online, in comparision to alot of other games, or even demos
> of
> > games. And SLIGHTLY Modified is an understatement, otherwise BIS is
really
> > ripping off the public charging several hundred dollars to you (and I)
for
> > VBS1 and $50 per expansion pack if what you say is true.
>
> It's only money. You can't take it with you and boyz have to have their
> toyz. I'm not complaining about the price.
> The physics, AI and addons are different but the interface and look/feel
are
> the same.
>

> > THATS ALL THE HAVE, huh, again, where did any of those game report to
have
> > any offline content.
> >
> Yup that's all they have. Trying to play BF or CS offline is what can best
> be termed 'non-experience' that is why they are inferior games.

June 30, 2004 12:53:20 PM

But the Aussies always were a bit strange..... We (iwi's) suspect it's to do
with the way most of the first european Aussies arrived ;o) If you'd been in
NZ we'd have understood you m8 ;o)

--
Kiwi;?<GD>
GunDogs! We put the kill in skill......um........or is that the ass in
"WÅTÒÓÇÊ <TZW>" <Klumsyfoot@kickAfrog.net> wrote in message
> " I'll probably made some mistake by using an English saying, but the
essence
> is still right " That's ok Ned those of us that speak English as a
primary language have a hard to conversing with other primary
> English speakers ;O) . When I was in Aus I had to explain what a Fannypak
was and why a guy would need one since guys don't have
> Fannies. was a strange conversation until it was realized that a fanny in
the UK and commonwealth was the opposite as it is in the
> US OOPS ;O)
>
> --
> WÅTÒÓÇÊ<TZW>
> www.timezone-warriors.net
>
> The Claw is my Master
> I have Been Chosen
> Ooooooooooooooooohhhhhhhhh
>
> "NedFox <TZW>" <neddy@nowhere.com> wrote in message
> It is as Mort stated.. And that's why OFP isn't played by many, as you
> said. Mature people don't play much games, compared to 14-year olds.. A
few
> thousands maybe in total, compared with hunder of thousands. Kids want
quick
> games, play the same map ("dust" or something) over and over and over and
> over and over again, and they say literally : OFP is BORING, it's an
> old-mens game.. Probably since it's slow compared to steam, couterstrike
> etc..
>
> I'll probably made some mistake by using an English saying, but the
essence
> is still right : OFP requires another level of thinking, and in my POV a
> *mature* way of thinking, to play it properly. (Hence my wondering about
the
> cheats).
>
> --
> -
> Jan van Zanten, aka NedFox <TZW>
> -
> A lecture is a process where information is passed from the notebook of
the
> lecturer to the notebook of the student without necessarily passing
through
> the minds of either.
> -
> "407ETR" <407etr@hotmail.com> schreef in bericht
> > MANS GAME, please get of your high horse.
> >
> > You guys are a riot. Kinda reminds me so much of high school. No one
likes
> > what we are doing, so then "They are all wrong and we are the best".

Anonymous
June 30, 2004 12:53:21 PM

Hey Kiwi how's OFP going for now you have the Add-ons ? Have you tried CTI yet

--

!