Hmm, first encounter with a cheater

[SFG] , Player ID : 140290

When he joined he connect/disconnected VERY fast for 50 times or so.. He
said it was his router. After starting CTI the enemy MHQ was bombarded with
artilley.
After restart it happened again. We decided to kick him, but he left just
before we could ban him.
After that we played a good game.

I didn't see any strange cfg files mentioned when he joined.. How is this
possible ? Do they have some weird addons? If so, why isn't it shown?

--
-
Jan van Zanten, aka NedFox <TZW>

    I suspect he has modified one of the addons and inserted a script or
    something. akaik, you can actually join with modified addons without any
    conflicts. Does seem strange though, I wonder if we'll see more of this.

    --
    Friday <TZW>
  2. Archived from groups: alt.games.operation-flashpoint (More info?)

    "NedFox <TZW>" <neddy@nowhere.com> wrote in message
    > [SFG] , Player ID : 140290

    Yes this player is a well-known cheater and has a number of player ids and
    names.

    > I didn't see any strange cfg files mentioned when he joined.. How is this
    > possible ? Do they have some weird addons? If so, why isn't it shown?

    There is a trick whereby you can write-protect your cache directory and then
    place
    your own version of the map there which includes commands to add any actions
    you
    want. It might be possible to get around this by regularly renaming the
    maps on your
    server.

    Neil

    ---
  3. Archived from groups: alt.games.operation-flashpoint (More info?)

    Thx for the info. First thing I'll be looking for is the
    connecting/disconnecting thing, since if he has different names and ID's it
    might be hard to track.
    Question stays ;-) Why in heavens name do you think it's funny to kill a
    game after 5 seconds ? I guess the kid is 11 years old ? Or is that even an
    age where kids already know what real fun and fair play is.

    --
    -
    "Neil MacMullen" <n.macmullen@ntlworld.com> schreef in bericht

    > "NedFox <TZW>" <neddy@nowhere.com> wrote in message
    > > [SFG] , Player ID : 140290
    >
    > Yes this player is a well-known cheater and has a number of player ids and
    > names.
    >
    > > I didn't see any strange cfg files mentioned when he joined.. How is
    this
    > > possible ? Do they have some weird addons? If so, why isn't it shown?
    > >

    > There is a trick whereby you can write-protect your cache directory and
    then
    > place
    > your own version of the map there which includes commands to add any
    actions
    > you
    > want. It might be possible to get around this by regularly renaming the
    > maps on your
    > server.
    >
    > Neil
    >

    > ---

  4. Archived from groups: alt.games.operation-flashpoint (More info?)

    > Thx for the info. First thing I'll be looking for is the
    > connecting/disconnecting thing, since if he has different names and ID's
    it
    > might be hard to track.

    Feel free to email me at ntlworld.com, n dot macmullen as the prefix. I'll
    be
    happy to discuss this in private since I don't really think a public forum
    is
    appropriate.

    > Question stays ;-) Why in heavens name do you think it's funny to kill a
    > game after 5 seconds ? I guess the kid is 11 years old ? Or is that even
    an
    > age where kids already know what real fun and fair play is.

    Well it could be worse, at least he didn't wait until you were an hour in.
    He cheated
    in an 'obvious' manner. I don't mind those kind of things so much - it's
    the guys that
    use cheats to get an advantage in friendly and league matches who are the
    most
    annoying.

    I guess your question was really rhetorical but I'm going to bite anyway ;-)
    I've read
    many debates between cheaters and cheat-haters; very occasionally you see
    some
    intelligent discussion. The cheaters position appears to be that they aren't
    really
    hurting anyone and, after all, who really chooses the rules for online play
    ? If they
    can find away round some of the technical limitations of the game why
    shouldn't
    they use them ? I might add that this is not a position I agree with so no
    flames to
    me please ! :-)

    neil

    ---
  5. Archived from groups: alt.games.operation-flashpoint (More info?)

    Yeah, unless you set the checksum or file-check thing for the addon, right?

    --Uzi

    "Friday" <jerry@tric.com> wrote in message
    > I suspect he has modified one of the addons and inserted a script or
    > something. akaik, you can actually join with modified addons without any
    > conflicts. Does seem strange though, I wonder if we'll see more of this.
    >
    > --
    > Friday <TZW>

  6. Archived from groups: alt.games.operation-flashpoint (More info?)

    Why doesn't anyone consider the possibility that just 1 such person employed
    by the competition might be enough to substantially harm the multiplayer OFP
    fanbase and drive them into the competition's arms?

    --Uzi

    "NedFox <TZW>" <neddy@nowhere.com> wrote in message
    > Thx for the info. First thing I'll be looking for is the
    > connecting/disconnecting thing, since if he has different names and ID's
    it
    > might be hard to track.
    > Question stays ;-) Why in heavens name do you think it's funny to kill a
    > game after 5 seconds ? I guess the kid is 11 years old ? Or is that even
    an
    > age where kids already know what real fun and fair play is.
    >
    > --
    > -
    > Jan van Zanten, aka NedFox <TZW>
    > -
    > A lecture is a process where information is passed from the notebook of
    the
    > lecturer to the notebook of the student without necessarily passing
    through
    > the minds of either.
    > -
    > "Neil MacMullen" <n.macmullen@ntlworld.com> schreef in bericht
    > >
    > > "NedFox <TZW>" <neddy@nowhere.com> wrote in message
    > > > [SFG] , Player ID : 140290
    > >
    > > Yes this player is a well-known cheater and has a number of player ids
    and
    > > names.
    > >
    > > > I didn't see any strange cfg files mentioned when he joined.. How is
    > this
    > > > possible ? Do they have some weird addons? If so, why isn't it shown?
    > > >

    > > There is a trick whereby you can write-protect your cache directory and
    > then
    > > place
    > > your own version of the map there which includes commands to add any
    > actions
    > > you
    > > want. It might be possible to get around this by regularly renaming the
    > > maps on your
    > > server.
    > >
    > > Neil
    > >

    > > ---

  7. Archived from groups: alt.games.operation-flashpoint (More info?)

    It isn't sporting unless you announce the game as a no-holds-barred
    cheat-condoning match.

    If one side has super-artillery, then the other side should, too.

    ....Obvious to most of us, including you, I'm sure.

    Wish it were obvious to the morons.

    --Uzi

    "Neil MacMullen" <n.macmullen@ntlworld.com> wrote in message

    > "NedFox <TZW>" <neddy@nowhere.com> wrote in message
    > > Thx for the info. First thing I'll be looking for is the
    > > connecting/disconnecting thing, since if he has different names and ID's
    > it
    > > might be hard to track.
    >
    > Feel free to email me at ntlworld.com, n dot macmullen as the prefix.
    I'll
    > be
    > happy to discuss this in private since I don't really think a public forum
    > is
    > appropriate.
    >
    > > Question stays ;-) Why in heavens name do you think it's funny to kill a
    > > game after 5 seconds ? I guess the kid is 11 years old ? Or is that even
    > an
    > > age where kids already know what real fun and fair play is.
    > >

    > Well it could be worse, at least he didn't wait until you were an hour in.
    > He cheated
    > in an 'obvious' manner. I don't mind those kind of things so much - it's
    > the guys that
    > use cheats to get an advantage in friendly and league matches who are the
    > most
    > annoying.
    >
    > I guess your question was really rhetorical but I'm going to bite anyway
    ;-)
    > I've read
    > many debates between cheaters and cheat-haters; very occasionally you see
    > some
    > intelligent discussion. The cheaters position appears to be that they
    aren't
    > really
    > hurting anyone and, after all, who really chooses the rules for online
    play
    > ? If they
    > can find away round some of the technical limitations of the game why
    > shouldn't
    > they use them ? I might add that this is not a position I agree with so
    no
    > flames to
    > me please ! :-)
    >
    > neil
    >

    > ---

  8. Archived from groups: alt.games.operation-flashpoint (More info?)

    OK, now that is just funny. Not because it might not be true, but think
    about it. What competition wants the 600 or so people who happens to play
    OFP multiplayer.

    Please, UZI if you are going to come up with a conspiracy theory at least
    come up with one that has some chance of being true. In real terms NO ONE
    plays OFP multiplayer and NO ONE ever has (for the nit pickers, read what I
    said, in real terms).

    Right now there are more people playing the Halo Demo than playing OFP

    "Uziyahu" <NNOSPAMMuziyahu@yahoo.com> wrote in message
    > Why doesn't anyone consider the possibility that just 1 such person
    employed
    > by the competition might be enough to substantially harm the multiplayer
    OFP
    > fanbase and drive them into the competition's arms?
    >
    > --Uzi
    >
    > "NedFox <TZW>" <neddy@nowhere.com> wrote in message
    > > Thx for the info. First thing I'll be looking for is the
    > > connecting/disconnecting thing, since if he has different names and ID's
    > it
    > > might be hard to track.
    > > Question stays ;-) Why in heavens name do you think it's funny to kill a
    > > game after 5 seconds ? I guess the kid is 11 years old ? Or is that even
    > an
    > > age where kids already know what real fun and fair play is.
    > >
    > > --
    > > -
    > > Jan van Zanten, aka NedFox <TZW>
    > > -
    > > A lecture is a process where information is passed from the notebook of
    > the
    > > lecturer to the notebook of the student without necessarily passing
    > through
    > > the minds of either.
    > > -
    > > "Neil MacMullen" <n.macmullen@ntlworld.com> schreef in bericht
    > > >
    > > > "NedFox <TZW>" <neddy@nowhere.com> wrote in message
    > > >
    > > > Yes this player is a well-known cheater and has a number of player ids
    > and
    > > > names.

    > > this
    > > > >

    > > > There is a trick whereby you can write-protect your cache directory
    and
    > > then
    > > > place
    > > > your own version of the map there which includes commands to add any
    > > actions
    > > > you
    > > > want. It might be possible to get around this by regularly renaming
    the
    > > > maps on your
    > > > server.
    > > >
    > > > Neil
    > > >

    > > > ---

  9. Archived from groups: alt.games.operation-flashpoint (More info?)

    "Uziyahu" <NNOSPAMMuziyahu@yahoo.com> wrote in message
    > Why doesn't anyone consider the possibility that just 1 such person
    employed
    > by the competition might be enough to substantially harm the multiplayer
    OFP
    > fanbase and drive them into the competition's arms?
    >
    > --Uzi

    Why would they go to the trouble and expense and risk of someone grassing
    them up when there's tons of cheating little scrotes out there already?
  10. Archived from groups: alt.games.operation-flashpoint (More info?)

    NedFox wrote:

    > [SFG] , Player ID : 140290
    >
    > When he joined he connect/disconnected VERY fast for 50 times or so..
    > He said it was his router. After starting CTI the enemy MHQ was
    > bombarded with artilley.
    > After restart it happened again. We decided to kick him, but he left
    > just before we could ban him.
    > After that we played a good game.
    >
    > I didn't see any strange cfg files mentioned when he joined.. How is
    > this possible ? Do they have some weird addons? If so, why isn't it
    > shown?

    Sadly, a lot is possible (again) with 196. If people disconnect for a
    short time i would be very suspicious.
    cu,

    Markus
  11. Archived from groups: alt.games.operation-flashpoint (More info?)

    You can ban him based on his player ID Ned, do a test ban on somebody to see
    the file the game writes, and then just switch the ID number.

    "NedFox <TZW>" <neddy@nowhere.com> wrote in message
    > [SFG] , Player ID : 140290
    >
    > When he joined he connect/disconnected VERY fast for 50 times or so.. He
    > said it was his router. After starting CTI the enemy MHQ was bombarded
    with
    > artilley.
    > After restart it happened again. We decided to kick him, but he left just
    > before we could ban him.
    > After that we played a good game.
    >
    > I didn't see any strange cfg files mentioned when he joined.. How is this
    > possible ? Do they have some weird addons? If so, why isn't it shown?
    >
    > --
    > -
    > Jan van Zanten, aka NedFox <TZW>
    > -
    > A lecture is a process where information is passed from the notebook of
    the
    > lecturer to the notebook of the student without necessarily passing
    through
    > the minds of either.
    > -

  12. Archived from groups: alt.games.operation-flashpoint (More info?)

    Sorry. I need that in American English. ;-)

    --Uzi

    "Mort <TZW>" <nospam@sweatyhelmet.org> wrote in message

    > "Uziyahu" <NNOSPAMMuziyahu@yahoo.com> wrote in message
    > > Why doesn't anyone consider the possibility that just 1 such person
    > employed
    > > by the competition might be enough to substantially harm the multiplayer
    > OFP
    > > fanbase and drive them into the competition's arms?
    > >
    > > --Uzi
    > >

    > Why would they go to the trouble and expense and risk of someone grassing
    > them up when there's tons of cheating little scrotes out there already?

  13. Archived from groups: alt.games.operation-flashpoint (More info?)

    "Uziyahu" <NNOSPAMMuziyahu@yahoo.com> wrote in message news:Ji4Cc.126798
    > It isn't sporting unless you announce the game as a no-holds-barred
    > cheat-condoning match.
    >
    > If one side has super-artillery, then the other side should, too.

    Other side has anti-superartillery and has super air while the other side
    has super-antiair, etc.... rock, paper, scissors...

    The incident we are talking about was a WMD in 10 seconds. Shove that up
    your 45minute pipe, Mister Blair!

    > ...Obvious to most of us, including you, I'm sure.
    >
    > Wish it were obvious to the morons.

    --

    Liddle Feesh
    *fap fap fap fap*

    Yup, I'm doing that already.
    It just struck me, OFP being a "man's game" and not a "boys game" that I saw
    this cheat! I played DeltaForce for quit a few years, but (probably because
    of the name we had in DF land) we never had serious cheaters on our server..
    Too be honoust I just laughed at it, and restarted the game (him included)
    to see what really happened.. He kept quiet for 55 seconds, and then again :
    booooom..... LOL.... After that he was gone and we had a perfect game ...

    --
    -
    "TJ" <who@where.com> schreef in bericht
    > You can ban him based on his player ID Ned, do a test ban on somebody to
    see
    > the file the game writes, and then just switch the ID number.
    >

    > "NedFox <TZW>" <neddy@nowhere.com> wrote in message
    > > [SFG] , Player ID : 140290
    > >
    > > When he joined he connect/disconnected VERY fast for 50 times or so.. He
    > > said it was his router. After starting CTI the enemy MHQ was bombarded
    > with
    > > artilley.
    > > After restart it happened again. We decided to kick him, but he left
    just
    > > before we could ban him.
    > > After that we played a good game.
    > >
    > > I didn't see any strange cfg files mentioned when he joined.. How is
    this
    > > possible ? Do they have some weird addons? If so, why isn't it shown?
    > >
    > > --
    > > -
    > > Jan van Zanten, aka NedFox <TZW>
    > > -
    > > A lecture is a process where information is passed from the notebook of
    > the
    > > lecturer to the notebook of the student without necessarily passing
    > through
    > > the minds of either.
    > > -

  15. Archived from groups: alt.games.operation-flashpoint (More info?)

    MANS GAME, please get of your high horse.

    You guys are a riot. Kinda reminds me so much of high school. No one likes
    what we are doing, so then "They are all wrong and we are the best".

    > Yup, I'm doing that already.
    > It just struck me, OFP being a "man's game" and not a "boys game" that I
    saw
    > this cheat! I played DeltaForce for quit a few years, but (probably
    because
    > of the name we had in DF land) we never had serious cheaters on our
    server..
    > Too be honoust I just laughed at it, and restarted the game (him included)
    > to see what really happened.. He kept quiet for 55 seconds, and then again
    :
    > booooom..... LOL.... After that he was gone and we had a perfect game ...
    >
    > --
    > -
    > Jan van Zanten, aka NedFox <TZW>
    > -
    > A lecture is a process where information is passed from the notebook of
    the
    > lecturer to the notebook of the student without necessarily passing
    through
    > the minds of either.
    > -
    > "TJ" <who@where.com> schreef in bericht
    > > You can ban him based on his player ID Ned, do a test ban on somebody to
    > see
    > > the file the game writes, and then just switch the ID number.
    > >

    > > "NedFox <TZW>" <neddy@nowhere.com> wrote in message
    > > > [SFG] , Player ID : 140290
    > > >
    > > > When he joined he connect/disconnected VERY fast for 50 times or so..
    He
    > > > said it was his router. After starting CTI the enemy MHQ was bombarded
    > > with
    > > > artilley.
    > > > After restart it happened again. We decided to kick him, but he left
    > just
    > > > before we could ban him.
    > > > After that we played a good game.
    > > >
    > > > I didn't see any strange cfg files mentioned when he joined.. How is
    > this
    > > > possible ? Do they have some weird addons? If so, why isn't it shown?
    > > >
    > > > --
    > > > -
    > > > Jan van Zanten, aka NedFox <TZW>
    > > > -
    > > > A lecture is a process where information is passed from the notebook
    of
    > > the
    > > > lecturer to the notebook of the student without necessarily passing
    > > through
    > > > the minds of either.
    > > > -

  16. Archived from groups: alt.games.operation-flashpoint (More info?)

    "407ETR" <407etr@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    > MANS GAME, please get of your high horse.
    >
    > You guys are a riot. Kinda reminds me so much of high school. No one likes
    > what we are doing, so then "They are all wrong and we are the best".

    English isn't Neddy's first language so what he probably mean't to say was
    it's more 'adult oriented' but not 'adult oriented' in the way its mean't in
    the Netherlands if you know what I mean :-)
  17. Archived from groups: alt.games.operation-flashpoint (More info?)

    "407ETR" <407etr@hotmail.com> wrote in

    > MANS GAME, please get of your high horse.
    >
    > You guys are a riot. Kinda reminds me so much of high school. No one
    > likes what we are doing, so then "They are all wrong and we are the
    > best".
    >

    > "NedFox <TZW>" <neddy@nowhere.com> wrote in message
    >> Yup, I'm doing that already.
    >> It just struck me, OFP being a "man's game" and not a "boys game"
    >> that I
    > saw
    >> this cheat! I played DeltaForce for quit a few years, but (probably
    > because
    >> of the name we had in DF land) we never had serious cheaters on our
    > server..
    >> Too be honoust I just laughed at it, and restarted the game (him
    >> included) to see what really happened.. He kept quiet for 55 seconds,
    >> and then again
    >:
    >> booooom..... LOL.... After that he was gone and we had a perfect game
    >>
    >> --
    >> -
    >> Jan van Zanten, aka NedFox <TZW>
    >> -
    >> A lecture is a process where information is passed from the notebook
    >> of
    > the
    >> lecturer to the notebook of the student without necessarily passing
    > through
    >> the minds of either.
    >> -
    >> "TJ" <who@where.com> schreef in bericht
    >> > You can ban him based on his player ID Ned, do a test ban on
    >> > somebody to
    >> see
    >> > the file the game writes, and then just switch the ID number.
    >> >

    >> > "NedFox <TZW>" <neddy@nowhere.com> wrote in message

    > He
    >> > with
    >> just

    >> this

    > of
    >> > the
    >> > through

    Sorry, I seemed to have missed your point. Are you actually saying that
    you agree with cheating and to complain about cheaters ruining a game is
    "getting on a high horse"

  18. Archived from groups: alt.games.operation-flashpoint (More info?)

    James Siegel wrote:

    > I could go on and on and on
    > if you find OFP to be such a waste of your time
    > please stop wasting our time and just don't bother posting in the OFP
    > newsgroup
    > Now then, since you will of course neglect that point

    Do you actually read what that guy is saying? He is not putting ofp
    down, but telling it like it is. There are some 30.000 counterstrike
    servers out there and some 100.000s of cs players. In comparison to
    this ofp is virtually not existant. Who would make an effort to win
    over some 300 ofp fans when there are 20.000 battlefield or dod fans to
    be won over?

    > there is a huge following for this game... it sold over 1 million
    > copies not including the 'hacks' and 'warez' copies floating around

    I heard that number before but i couldn't believe it, as there have
    never been many servers or players around in ofp mp. And i play mp
    since v1.0. Even then you would know most players by name after playing
    3 times, on each of the 3 servers that did exist at that time.

    There are cheats for all mp games. There are lots of cheats for ofp too.
    There are some prechautions one can take to identify cheaters, but
    nothing really 100% effective. If you want to do _something_ then put
    equalmodrequired into your server.cfg, check every addon, and manually
    type #debug checkfile mpmissions/missionname and #debug checkfile
    mpmissionscache/missionname in every mission you run. That won't detect
    everything (like hacked ofp executables, hooks and 3rd party progs),
    but will make manipulating the ofp files undetected more difficult.
    cu,

    Markus
  19. Archived from groups: alt.games.operation-flashpoint (More info?)

    TJ wrote:

    > You can ban him based on his player ID Ned, do a test ban on somebody
    > to see the file the game writes, and then just switch the ID number.

    The game writes nothing, you have to put his id into a textfile called
    ban.txt. Be careful though, there are id changers out there and you
    might be banning someone else.
    cu,

    Markus
  20. Archived from groups: alt.games.operation-flashpoint (More info?)

    It is as Mort stated.. And that's why OFP isn't played by many, as you
    said. Mature people don't play much games, compared to 14-year olds.. A few
    thousands maybe in total, compared with hunder of thousands. Kids want quick
    games, play the same map ("dust" or something) over and over and over and
    over and over again, and they say literally : OFP is BORING, it's an
    old-mens game.. Probably since it's slow compared to steam, couterstrike
    etc..

    I'll probably made some mistake by using an English saying, but the essence
    is still right : OFP requires another level of thinking, and in my POV a
    *mature* way of thinking, to play it properly. (Hence my wondering about the
    cheats).

    --
    -
    "407ETR" <407etr@hotmail.com> schreef in bericht
    > MANS GAME, please get of your high horse.
    >
    > You guys are a riot. Kinda reminds me so much of high school. No one likes
    > what we are doing, so then "They are all wrong and we are the best".

  21. Archived from groups: alt.games.operation-flashpoint (More info?)

    " I'll probably made some mistake by using an English saying, but the essence
    is still right " That's ok Ned those of us that speak English as a primary language have a hard to conversing with other primary
    English speakers ;O) . When I was in Aus I had to explain what a Fannypak was and why a guy would need one since guys don't have
    Fannies. was a strange conversation until it was realized that a fanny in the UK and commonwealth was the opposite as it is in the
    US OOPS ;O)

    --
    WÅTÒÓÇÊ<TZW>
    www.timezone-warriors.net

    The Claw is my Master
    I have Been Chosen
    Ooooooooooooooooohhhhhhhhh

    "NedFox <TZW>" <neddy@nowhere.com> wrote in message news:gKCCc.12915$%27.180081@zonnet-reader-1...
    It is as Mort stated.. And that's why OFP isn't played by many, as you
    said. Mature people don't play much games, compared to 14-year olds.. A few
    thousands maybe in total, compared with hunder of thousands. Kids want quick
    games, play the same map ("dust" or something) over and over and over and
    over and over again, and they say literally : OFP is BORING, it's an
    old-mens game.. Probably since it's slow compared to steam, couterstrike
    etc..

    I'll probably made some mistake by using an English saying, but the essence
    is still right : OFP requires another level of thinking, and in my POV a
    *mature* way of thinking, to play it properly. (Hence my wondering about the
    cheats).

    --
    -
    Jan van Zanten, aka NedFox <TZW>
    -
    A lecture is a process where information is passed from the notebook of the
    lecturer to the notebook of the student without necessarily passing through
    the minds of either.
    -
    "407ETR" <407etr@hotmail.com> schreef in bericht
    > MANS GAME, please get of your high horse.
    >
    > You guys are a riot. Kinda reminds me so much of high school. No one likes
    > what we are doing, so then "They are all wrong and we are the best".

  22. Archived from groups: alt.games.operation-flashpoint (More info?)

    "WÅTÒÓÇÊ <TZW>" <Klumsyfoot@kickAfrog.net> wrote in message
    > " I'll probably made some mistake by using an English saying, but the
    essence
    > is still right " That's ok Ned those of us that speak English as a
    primary language have a hard to conversing with other primary
    > English speakers ;O) . When I was in Aus I had to explain what a Fannypak
    was and why a guy would need one since guys don't have
    > Fannies. was a strange conversation until it was realized that a fanny in
    the UK and commonwealth was the opposite as it is in the
    > US OOPS ;O)

    Ha!
    That's nothing a few years back I was at a very boring meeting in NY with a
    very earnest/serious product team from an American company we were doing
    some work for when in the middle of the discussion of a particular project
    one of my colleagues enthusiastically said 'Yes we're beavering away on that
    for you!'

    Cue for the American guys in the room to collapse laughing and for sharp
    intakes of breath from the traumatized females :-)
    Needless to say he wasn't allowed to forget dropping that particular
    clanger.
  23. Archived from groups: alt.games.operation-flashpoint (More info?)

    LOL

    --

    "Mort <TZW>" <nospam@sweatyhelmet.org> wrote in message news:cbf0im$9oc$1@hercules.btinternet.com...

    "WÅTÒÓÇÊ <TZW>" <Klumsyfoot@kickAfrog.net> wrote in message
    > " I'll probably made some mistake by using an English saying, but the
    essence
    > is still right " That's ok Ned those of us that speak English as a
    primary language have a hard to conversing with other primary
    > English speakers ;O) . When I was in Aus I had to explain what a Fannypak
    was and why a guy would need one since guys don't have
    > Fannies. was a strange conversation until it was realized that a fanny in
    the UK and commonwealth was the opposite as it is in the
    > US OOPS ;O)

    Ha!
    That's nothing a few years back I was at a very boring meeting in NY with a
    very earnest/serious product team from an American company we were doing
    some work for when in the middle of the discussion of a particular project
    one of my colleagues enthusiastically said 'Yes we're beavering away on that
    for you!'

    Cue for the American guys in the room to collapse laughing and for sharp
    intakes of breath from the traumatized females :-)
    Needless to say he wasn't allowed to forget dropping that particular
    clanger.
  24. Archived from groups: alt.games.operation-flashpoint (More info?)

    > I agree the VOIP was awesome. In fact I would still love to know how they
    > got voice detection working so well.
    >
    > It is nice that you saw over 600 people playing, BUT how often did this
    > happen. AND what numbers did you see. If alot of the servers don't have
    IGJ
    > enabled, then guess what, BIS is going to lose sales. The people who
    > purchased this game for its multiplayer capabilities will not buy OFP2.
    >
    > I agree with your sales figures, that sounds about what I read a while
    back.
    > NOW, if you believe them to be true. Then the numbers (estimates) you
    appear
    > to be quoting for servers and players is EXTREMELY small.

    No-one likes the game they love being criticised, but the only reason OFP is
    not as 'big' as these others IMHO is solely due to it's age, if it's was
    released today there would be a helluva lot more interest as OFP2 will
    show..

    Kango
  25. Archived from groups: alt.games.operation-flashpoint (More info?)

    I don't understand you logic here.

    BF1942 had huge number playing the DEMO, it had huge number playing retail
    when it was released and it has huge number playing today.,

    OFP never had huge number playing ONLINE.

    I disagree with OFP (original) ever being a huge multiplayer game. First of
    it used Directplay for multiplayer, that is strike one. Second, no in game
    join, Most folks don't want to wait up to 30 mins for a round to finish
    before they get to play. 3rd , Huge maps are great for coop type missions,
    but not for most other types.

    "RobertJM" <robert@rockNObottomSPAM.plus.com> wrote in message

    > "407ETR" <407etr@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    > > I agree the VOIP was awesome. In fact I would still love to know how
    they
    > > got voice detection working so well.
    > >
    > > It is nice that you saw over 600 people playing, BUT how often did this
    > > happen. AND what numbers did you see. If alot of the servers don't have
    > IGJ
    > > enabled, then guess what, BIS is going to lose sales. The people who
    > > purchased this game for its multiplayer capabilities will not buy OFP2.
    > >
    > > I agree with your sales figures, that sounds about what I read a while
    > back.
    > > NOW, if you believe them to be true. Then the numbers (estimates) you
    > appear
    > > to be quoting for servers and players is EXTREMELY small.
    > >
    > No-one likes the game they love being criticised, but the only reason OFP
    is
    > not as 'big' as these others IMHO is solely due to it's age, if it's was
    > released today there would be a helluva lot more interest as OFP2 will
    > show..
    >
    > Kango

  26. Archived from groups: alt.games.operation-flashpoint (More info?)

    RobertJM wrote:

    > No-one likes the game they love being criticised, but the only reason
    > OFP is not as 'big' as these others IMHO is solely due to it's age, if
    > it's was released today there would be a helluva lot more interest as
    > OFP2 will show..

    Sure. And CS is about thousand times as big as ofp because it is 2 or 3
    years older. And CS is more popular than BF42 and BFV put together
    because it is nearly five years older than those games. Oh wait, that
    doesn't make sense...

    I don't know why people have a hard time accepting that ofp is not for
    the mainstream? I love ofp, most people in this newsgroup too, so why
    care what everyone else thinks about it?
    cu,

    Markus
  27. Archived from groups: alt.games.operation-flashpoint (More info?)

    > BTW, did anyone realize that CM/BIS did what no one else in the
    > gaming history has ever done (AFAIK) Made a game, released an
    > addon that requires the original game, then stopped updating the
    > original game. Cool marketing move actually.

    Firaxis Alpha Centauri, Alien Crossfire exp.
    Firaxis Civilization 3, Play The World exp, Conquests exp.
    Novalogic Blackhawk Down, Team Sabre exp.

    I'm sure there are many more examples, and it does make sense. In
    fact, I don't think I own a game where an expansion was released and
    the un-expanded version rec'd continued support.

    --
    ICQ: 8105495
    AIM: KeeperGFA

    > I don't understand you logic here.
    >

    > BF1942 had huge number playing the DEMO, it had huge number playing retail
    > when it was released and it has huge number playing today.,
    >

    > OFP never had huge number playing ONLINE.
    >
    > I disagree with OFP (original) ever being a huge multiplayer game. First
    of
    > it used Directplay for multiplayer, that is strike one. Second, no in game
    > join, Most folks don't want to wait up to 30 mins for a round to finish
    > before they get to play. 3rd , Huge maps are great for coop type missions,
    > but not for most other types.

    It's like comparing apples with oranges.
    Games like BF1942 and CS have a much larger online following than OFP but
    that's all they have. If you want to play them at all you HAVE to play them
    online (unless I'm missing something since the last time I looked).

    At the end of the day it's hardly worth arguing about. After all which game
    was slightly modified for use by the US military as a squad training
    simulation? It wasn't BF1942 or CS.
  29. Archived from groups: alt.games.operation-flashpoint (More info?)

    407ETR wrote:

    > Yes, you use SOCKETS, but guess what, you don't use it for OFP server
    > AFAIK, you use it for Resistance servers. OR did BIS finally update
    > the original game to use sockets.

    The beta patches in the 1.5x series introduced socket netcode for cwc as
    a public betatest for the coming resistance upgrade.
    cu,

    Markus
  30. Archived from groups: alt.games.operation-flashpoint (More info?)

    "Kevin 'Keeper' Foster" <thekeeper@canada.com> wrote in message
    > "407ETR" <407etr@hotmail.com> wrote in
    >
    > > BTW, did anyone realize that CM/BIS did what no one else in the
    > > gaming history has ever done (AFAIK) Made a game, released an
    > > addon that requires the original game, then stopped updating the
    > > original game. Cool marketing move actually.
    >

    > Firaxis Alpha Centauri, Alien Crossfire exp.
    > Firaxis Civilization 3, Play The World exp, Conquests exp.
    > Novalogic Blackhawk Down, Team Sabre exp.
    >
    > I'm sure there are many more examples, and it does make sense. In
    > fact, I don't think I own a game where an expansion was released and
    > the un-expanded version rec'd continued support.
    >
    > --
    > ICQ: 8105495
    > AIM: KeeperGFA
    > EMail: thekeeper@canada.com
    > "If we did the things we are capable of,
    > we would astound ourselves." - Edison

    I don't know about the rest of the games, but BHD, Sabre expansion, was an
    addon, but Novalogic updated the original game since then

    http://www.novalogic.com/updatedetail.asp?ID=23&GameKey=DFBHD

    In fact it tells you if you have Team Sabre updated you don't need this
    update....IOW, this updates the game after Team Sabre was released , there
    is a seperate update for Team Sabre.

    So from your statment I assume that you don't own HalfLife, Quake3, BF1942
  31. Archived from groups: alt.games.operation-flashpoint (More info?)

    > "407ETR" <407etr@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    > > I don't understand you logic here.
    > >

    > > BF1942 had huge number playing the DEMO, it had huge number playing
    retail
    > > when it was released and it has huge number playing today.,
    > >

    > > OFP never had huge number playing ONLINE.
    > >
    > > I disagree with OFP (original) ever being a huge multiplayer game. First
    > of
    > > it used Directplay for multiplayer, that is strike one. Second, no in
    game
    > > join, Most folks don't want to wait up to 30 mins for a round to finish
    > > before they get to play. 3rd , Huge maps are great for coop type
    missions,
    > > but not for most other types.
    >
    > It's like comparing apples with oranges.
    > Games like BF1942 and CS have a much larger online following than OFP but
    > that's all they have. If you want to play them at all you HAVE to play
    them
    > online (unless I'm missing something since the last time I looked).
    >
    > At the end of the day it's hardly worth arguing about. After all which
    game
    > was slightly modified for use by the US military as a squad training
    > simulation? It wasn't BF1942 or CS.

    And this means what exactly...So the USMC got a updated version of it , so
    what, what does this have to do with it. Those games to report to be
    realistic combat. I was pointing out that there are very few people actually
    playing OFP online, in comparision to alot of other games, or even demos of
    games. And SLIGHTLY Modified is an understatement, otherwise BIS is really
    ripping off the public charging several hundred dollars to you (and I) for
    VBS1 and $50 per expansion pack if what you say is true.

    THATS ALL THE HAVE, huh, again, where did any of those game report to have
    any offline content.
  32. Archived from groups: alt.games.operation-flashpoint (More info?)

    Very true, but as you point out, only beta , I doubt you could find many if
    any beta servers out there.

    "Markus Holzapfel" <frefoli@gmx.net> wrote in message
    > 407ETR wrote:
    >
    > > Yes, you use SOCKETS, but guess what, you don't use it for OFP server
    > > AFAIK, you use it for Resistance servers. OR did BIS finally update
    > > the original game to use sockets.
    >
    > The beta patches in the 1.5x series introduced socket netcode for cwc as
    > a public betatest for the coming resistance upgrade.
    > cu,
    >
    > Markus

  33. Archived from groups: alt.games.operation-flashpoint (More info?)

    > And this means what exactly...

    OFP's a better game

    So the USMC got a updated version of it , so
    > what, what does this have to do with it. Those games to report to be
    > realistic combat. I was pointing out that there are very few people
    actually
    > playing OFP online, in comparision to alot of other games, or even demos
    of
    > games. And SLIGHTLY Modified is an understatement, otherwise BIS is really
    > ripping off the public charging several hundred dollars to you (and I) for
    > VBS1 and $50 per expansion pack if what you say is true.

    It's only money. You can't take it with you and boyz have to have their
    toyz. I'm not complaining about the price.
    The physics, AI and addons are different but the interface and look/feel are
    the same.

    > THATS ALL THE HAVE, huh, again, where did any of those game report to have
    > any offline content.

    Yup that's all they have. Trying to play BF or CS offline is what can best
    be termed 'non-experience' that is why they are inferior games.
  34. Archived from groups: alt.games.operation-flashpoint (More info?)

    Mort wrote:

    > Yup that's all they have. Trying to play BF or CS offline is what can
    > best be termed 'non-experience' that is why they are inferior games.

    Playing teamgames offline isn't that much fun anyway. Choosing to play
    with/against ofp ai and human teammembers/opponents i choose humans
    every day. In ANY game. Telling guys that want to play mp games that
    their favorite game is superior because it is lacking sp, is somehow
    like telling a guy his racing car is inferior to your trabant cause you
    got a better tv at home than him. Both things are totally unrelated.
    And if ofp had the mp netcode and the server features of bf or cs i
    would be happy.
    cu,

    Markus
  35. Archived from groups: alt.games.operation-flashpoint (More info?)

    Talk about comparing apples to oranges.

    "a better game" indicates fact, when it isn't , it is rather an opinion.

    > "407ETR" <407etr@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    > >

    > > And this means what exactly...
    >
    > OFP's a better game
    >
    > So the USMC got a updated version of it , so
    > > what, what does this have to do with it. Those games to report to be
    > > realistic combat. I was pointing out that there are very few people
    > actually
    > > playing OFP online, in comparision to alot of other games, or even demos
    > of
    > > games. And SLIGHTLY Modified is an understatement, otherwise BIS is
    really
    > > ripping off the public charging several hundred dollars to you (and I)
    for
    > > VBS1 and $50 per expansion pack if what you say is true.
    >
    > It's only money. You can't take it with you and boyz have to have their
    > toyz. I'm not complaining about the price.
    > The physics, AI and addons are different but the interface and look/feel
    are
    > the same.
    >

    > > THATS ALL THE HAVE, huh, again, where did any of those game report to
    have
    > > any offline content.
    > >
    > Yup that's all they have. Trying to play BF or CS offline is what can best
    > be termed 'non-experience' that is why they are inferior games.

  36. Archived from groups: alt.games.operation-flashpoint (More info?)

    But the Aussies always were a bit strange..... We (iwi's) suspect it's to do
    with the way most of the first european Aussies arrived ;o) If you'd been in
    NZ we'd have understood you m8 ;o)

    --
    Kiwi;?<GD>
    GunDogs! We put the kill in skill......um........or is that the ass in
    "WÅTÒÓÇÊ <TZW>" <Klumsyfoot@kickAfrog.net> wrote in message
    > " I'll probably made some mistake by using an English saying, but the
    essence
    > is still right " That's ok Ned those of us that speak English as a
    primary language have a hard to conversing with other primary
    > English speakers ;O) . When I was in Aus I had to explain what a Fannypak
    was and why a guy would need one since guys don't have
    > Fannies. was a strange conversation until it was realized that a fanny in
    the UK and commonwealth was the opposite as it is in the
    > US OOPS ;O)
    >
    > --
    > WÅTÒÓÇÊ<TZW>
    > www.timezone-warriors.net
    >
    > The Claw is my Master
    > I have Been Chosen
    > Ooooooooooooooooohhhhhhhhh
    >
    > "NedFox <TZW>" <neddy@nowhere.com> wrote in message
    > It is as Mort stated.. And that's why OFP isn't played by many, as you
    > said. Mature people don't play much games, compared to 14-year olds.. A
    few
    > thousands maybe in total, compared with hunder of thousands. Kids want
    quick
    > games, play the same map ("dust" or something) over and over and over and
    > over and over again, and they say literally : OFP is BORING, it's an
    > old-mens game.. Probably since it's slow compared to steam, couterstrike
    > etc..
    >
    > I'll probably made some mistake by using an English saying, but the
    essence
    > is still right : OFP requires another level of thinking, and in my POV a
    > *mature* way of thinking, to play it properly. (Hence my wondering about
    the
    > cheats).
    >
    > --
    > -
    > Jan van Zanten, aka NedFox <TZW>
    > -
    > A lecture is a process where information is passed from the notebook of
    the
    > lecturer to the notebook of the student without necessarily passing
    through
    > the minds of either.
    > -
    > "407ETR" <407etr@hotmail.com> schreef in bericht
    > > MANS GAME, please get of your high horse.
    > >
    > > You guys are a riot. Kinda reminds me so much of high school. No one
    likes
    > > what we are doing, so then "They are all wrong and we are the best".

  37. Archived from groups: alt.games.operation-flashpoint (More info?)

    Hey Kiwi how's OFP going for now you have the Add-ons ? Have you tried CTI yet

    --

    "John" <jebo@paradise.net.nz> wrote in message news:aFkEc.5437$NA1.501773@news02.tsnz.net...
    But the Aussies always were a bit strange..... We (iwi's) suspect it's to do
    with the way most of the first european Aussies arrived ;o) If you'd been in
    NZ we'd have understood you m8 ;o)

    --
    Kiwi;?<GD>
    GunDogs! We put the kill in skill......um........or is that the ass in
    class???
    "WÅTÒÓÇÊ <TZW>" <Klumsyfoot@kickAfrog.net> wrote in message
    > " I'll probably made some mistake by using an English saying, but the
    essence
    > is still right " That's ok Ned those of us that speak English as a
    primary language have a hard to conversing with other primary
    > English speakers ;O) . When I was in Aus I had to explain what a Fannypak
    was and why a guy would need one since guys don't have
    > Fannies. was a strange conversation until it was realized that a fanny in
    the UK and commonwealth was the opposite as it is in the
    > US OOPS ;O)
    >
    > --
    > WÅTÒÓÇÊ<TZW>
    > www.timezone-warriors.net
    >
    > The Claw is my Master
    > I have Been Chosen
    > Ooooooooooooooooohhhhhhhhh
    >
    > "NedFox <TZW>" <neddy@nowhere.com> wrote in message
    > It is as Mort stated.. And that's why OFP isn't played by many, as you
    > said. Mature people don't play much games, compared to 14-year olds.. A
    few
    > thousands maybe in total, compared with hunder of thousands. Kids want
    quick
    > games, play the same map ("dust" or something) over and over and over and
    > over and over again, and they say literally : OFP is BORING, it's an
    > old-mens game.. Probably since it's slow compared to steam, couterstrike
    > etc..
    >
    > I'll probably made some mistake by using an English saying, but the
    essence
    > is still right : OFP requires another level of thinking, and in my POV a
    > *mature* way of thinking, to play it properly. (Hence my wondering about
    the
    > cheats).
    >
    > --
    > -
    > Jan van Zanten, aka NedFox <TZW>
    > -
    > A lecture is a process where information is passed from the notebook of
    the
    > lecturer to the notebook of the student without necessarily passing
    through
    > the minds of either.
    > -
    > "407ETR" <407etr@hotmail.com> schreef in bericht
    > > MANS GAME, please get of your high horse.
    > >
    > > You guys are a riot. Kinda reminds me so much of high school. No one
    likes
    > > what we are doing, so then "They are all wrong and we are the best".

Connection Games Video Games Product