[HELP] Usable vs Installed Memory

Orsi

Distinguished
Sep 17, 2003
I just bought an ASUS A8N32-SLI Deluxe motherboard and it works perfectly except for during POST, it shows something like
Usable Memory: 1024 MB
Installed Memory: 3096 MB

I really have 3GB of RAM (2x512MB + 2x1024MB), all sticks were working perfectly in A8N-SLI Premium board I had

Whats could be going wrong? Is there some configuration to fix this?

sailer

Splendid
Need more details of the memory, like make, timings, etc.

Its entirely possible that the memory sticks are conflicting with each other and not allowing the 2x1025 sticks to register. Try pulling the 2x512 sticks and see what shows up. Also, you can try downloading CPU-Z and running that to get a reading on memory sticks. Last, chech the task manager under the performance tab and check its readings for Physical Memory; the total and available amounts. It could be that your BIOS is simply giving a false reading.

Orsi

Distinguished
Sep 17, 2003
The 1024MB sticks are 3-3-3-8 and 2.5-3-3-8 for the 2x512MB

I just tried to use only the 1024 sticks and everything I got was one long beep followed by 2 short beeps

Maybe this MB is not compatible with it but I don´t understand why it sees" it but dont use it, even Windows recognize the missing memory

sailer

Splendid
My best guess at the moment is that there is a incompatibility between your motherboard and the 1024 memory, allowing the motherboard to see it, but not use it. The beep code was probably indicating that there was no ram available for use. You can also try doublechecking the motherboard manuel to determine if the 1024 ram is acceptable, by both company and timing.

Orsi

Distinguished
Sep 17, 2003
The RAM is Corsair CMX12024-3200, it isn´t listed as qualified ram model, ´bout the timing, there are some qualified models how has similar timings, so I guess it isn´t the problem I having

wish I had some other mb to see if the sticks are still working... damn, I hate those hardware problems...

TRENDING THREADS