Upgrading Windows XP Home Edition

I have a 2001 edition of XP Home Edition and would like to upgrade this to XP
2005 edition or XP Professional.
Can this be done without reformatting the hard and losing all currently
installed software applications.
Any help would be appreciated
--
The Tokolosh Man
7 answers Last reply

    In news:FD4711AF-C6BB-47AF-A239-AE506516E1A9@microsoft.com,
    tokolosh <tokolosh@discussions.microsoft.com> typed:

    > I have a 2001 edition of XP Home Edition and would like to
    > upgrade
    > this to XP 2005 edition

    There has been only a single version of Windows XP, whether Home
    or Professional. There have been two service packs, and if you
    haven't installed them, you should install SP2. But there's no
    real upgrade necessary, and there's nothing to buy. SP2 is free.

    > or XP Professional.

    If you think that XP Professional is in some way *better* than XP
    Home, that's not the case. XP Professional and XP Home are
    exactly the same in all respects, except that Professional has a
    few features (mostly related to networking and security) missing
    from Home. For most (but not all) home users, even those with a
    home network, these features aren't needed, would never be used,
    and buying Professional instead of Home is a waste of money.

    For details go to

    http://www.winsupersite.com/showcase/windowsxp_home_pro.asp

    http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/whichxp.asp

    http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/home/howtobuy/choosing2.asp

    Also note that Professional allows ten concurrent network
    connections, and Home only five.

    > Can this be done without reformatting the hard and losing all
    > currently installed software applications.

    By definition, an "upgrade" (as opposed to a clean installation)
    means that all data, programs, etc. are kept intact.

    However there are no guarantees that it always works perfectly.
    However unlikely, it's always possible that something might go
    wrong. For that reason it's prudent to be sure you have a backup
    of anything you can't afford to lose before beginning.

    And in all probability, there's no need for you to do any upgrade
    at all.

    Please reply to the newsgroup

    You can do an upgrade installation. No need to reformat.

    "tokolosh" <tokolosh@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > I have a 2001 edition of XP Home Edition and would like to upgrade this to
    XP
    > 2005 edition or XP Professional.
    > Can this be done without reformatting the hard and losing all currently
    > installed software applications.
    > Any help would be appreciated
    > --
    > The Tokolosh Man

    Yes you can upgrade from Windows Home to Pro without data loss. Check here
    for a few tips that can ease the process
    http://www.webtree.ca/windowsxp/upgrade_tips.htm

    --

    Harry Ohrn MS-MVP [Shell/User]
    www.webtree.ca/windowsxp

    tokolosh wrote:
    > I have a 2001 edition of XP Home Edition and would like to upgrade
    > this to XP 2005 edition or XP Professional.
    > Can this be done without reformatting the hard and losing all
    > currently installed software applications.
    > Any help would be appreciated

    1) There is no such thing as "Windows XP Home 2001" The first edition had
    a version of 2002.
    2) There is no such thing as "Windows XP Home 2005" (though you could
    argue that Windows XP Home SP2 is 2004)
    3) The only version of Windows which has a version number of 2005 is
    Media Centre, which is available as OEM only, which would mean you'd have to
    format to install it.
    4) What makes you think you need XP Pro? Unless you plan on networking
    more than 5 PCs, or have need for advanced security, or IIS, then you're not
    missing anything.

    "tokolosh" <tokolosh@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:

    >I have a 2001 edition of XP Home Edition and would like to upgrade this to XP
    >2005 edition or XP Professional.
    >Can this be done without reformatting the hard and losing all currently
    >installed software applications.
    >Any help would be appreciated

    If you install Service Pack 2 for your existing XP Home then you have
    the latest available version.

    You can download Service Pack 2 from the Windows Update site, or you
    can order a CD from Microsoft.

    There is zero difference in performance or stability between Windows
    XP Home and Windows XP Professional. The two versions are compiled
    from the same source code base. The only differences are in certain
    features and functions which are unique to XP Pro and are not included
    with XP Home. Unless you have a known or anticipated requirement for
    at least one of those features or functions that are found only in XP
    Pro there is no benefit to be had by upgrading to XP Pro.

    Good luck

    Ron Martell Duncan B.C. Canada
    --
    Microsoft MVP
    On-Line Help Computer Service

    http://aumha.org/alex.htm

    "tokolosh" wrote:

    > I have a 2001 edition of XP Home Edition and would like to upgrade this to XP
    > 2005 edition or XP Professional.
    > Can this be done without reformatting the hard and losing all currently
    > installed software applications.
    > Any help would be appreciated
    > --
    > The Tokolosh Man

    I had the same problem.. Easy to fix.
    Install New install when asked do not format partition install in same
    partition will work..Great I just upgraded .
    You can't just upgrade as recomended because you probably have Home ED sp1
    installed on many store bought computer but you will not lose data.
    Hope this Helped.
    DatCat

Windows XP Microsoft Software