build overclock, watercool. ?s on straps, heat, fsb, $$.

korsen

Distinguished
Jul 20, 2006
This might be a long post.

I looked into the FSB strap issue and the NBCC stuff and i understand that high multi chips aren't as easily overclockable. So i need help finding some parts.

I plan on buying a Q6600 later when price drops and I also plan on having my system watercooled. I also want to have my ddr2-800 (g.skill) be 1:1. It's said to be capable of 900mhz on stock settings.

I'd like to first and foremost have the motherboard be capable of running at 400fsb so my ram can be 1:1, and if possible 450fsb so i can overclock my ram. I don't know if my ram is capable, but ideally the mobo can hit 500fsb with a Q6600 - though i'd be happy with 450 or even 400 worst case.

I looked at a few watercooling kits, and i was attracted to the Zalman Reservoir 1 (V2 i think), but i'm not sure how well 400L/Hr (at least it's silent!) will fare over a Q6600, a NB chip, and quite possibly an R600 (assuming the cooling solution on the GPU is less than ideal).

Basically i need help deciding what parts to get based on overclocking a Q6600 with most likely a reduced multi (reducing FSB headroom...), and keeping it, the NB, and possibly the R600 cool.

I know there's alot of motherboards out that can do the job, but i'm not so sure alot of people know about the reduced multi increasing the FSB theoretically by itself. I was particularly attracted by Zalman's ease of setup options and it's silent operation (saw it's installation in a video) but is there anything else similarly capable, if not better, and just as easy to install? (i dont need any watercooling system over $300)

Thanks for any opinions.

G

Certain watercooling kits struggle and give high temps when under so much load. I myself would not buy a watercooling kit unless I didn't have a budget. As for boards, I would get something like a Gigabyte 965P DS3P.